SAU Community

How much are you paying for CTP Greenslip

Guest DON91E

heard a few days back that mr barry o'farrell is trying to push to reduce greenslip prices by 15% as NSW are paying the highest in Australia.

hopefully it comes soon!

MOTORISTS LEFT DEFENCELESS AGAINST BIG INSURERS

NSW motorists are about to be left at the mercy of the huge insurance companies under plans by the State Government to re-vamp the CTP Greenslip scheme.

Some months ago, Premier O’Farrell announced plans to reduce Greenslip prices by removing the litigation from the system, blaming lawyers for holding up compensation payments to accident victims and for increasing the cost of the scheme.

But the legislation that embattled Finance Minister Greg Pearce is attempting to ram through Parliament makes it clear that the only lawyers being removed from the system are the ones representing motorists, while the insurance companies will still have the luxury of using their in-house lawyers to try and stop paying out to innocent accident victims.

Dave Cooke, Manager of the NSW Motorcycle Alliance said today, “In the past, much of the litigation in the system was between the insurance companies, with one insurer trying to prove the other insurer’s client was responsible for an accident, because who was at fault determined which Greenslip policy would have to pay out. Under the new proposals all motorists will claim against their own Greenslip after an accident, not that of the person who caused the crash, so insurers won’t be fighting with each other anymore, they’ll be fighting against their own customers to prevent paying out.”

Christopher Burns of the Motorcycle Council of NSW agreed, adding “The problem with the legislation is it doesn’t really allow the victim to use a lawyer to protect themselves against the insurers who refuse to pay out. Even if the motorist wins, they won’t be able to claim back legal costs. So the only lawyers that have been cut out of the system are the ones working for innocent accident victims, while the insurers can have as many lawyers as they can afford.”

Both the MCC of NSW and the NSW Motorcycle Alliance represent hundreds of riders who have felt first-hand the power of insurance companies who are more interested in shareholder profits than meeting their obligations to injured people, and hold grave fears for how motorists and riders will be able to protect themselves against the insurers’ behaviour under the new scheme.

It appears that the new legislation has been written totally for the benefit of the big insurance companies, at the expense of the people of NSW, particularly those who are unfortunate enough to suffer serious injuries in a road accident. The new legislation contains no new measures to put a halt to the massive profits the insurers make from the CTP scheme, but contains a lot of measures to reduce the benefits that innocent accident victims are entitled to in terms of covering their costs and loss of income, making it difficult to see how it is anything other than a cash grab by the insurers, with the assistance of Finance Minister Pearce.

Info;

MCC of NSW – Christopher Burns 0418 486 660 [email protected]

NSW Motorcycle Alliance – Dave Cooke 1300 937 433 [email protected]

So which would you rather; a system that actually protects you or just a cheaper one?

Perhaps the NSW State Government could look at the 20% of all CTP levied going straight into the pockets of the insurance companies; when they are only supposed to reap a profit of 9% from the scheme?

Perhaps that would go some way toward making CTP more affordable without any changes at all.

Or they could administer it themselves like the other states, not involve the insurers at all, and still make a profit?

Last month

2004 EVO Blue Mtns - Shannon's $440

This month

2003 BMW Blue Mtns - Shannon's $426

Going down - State Govt acting yet?

The changes haven't been enacted yet; I believe it goes before Parliament next week.

Prepare to not save any money (in spite of guarantees to the contrary); and start hearing horror stories about people getting shafted.

I wish mine were that cheap Terry; the Stagea was $560, and Shell's little Mazda was $540. :verymad:

Must be because I'm young & stupid. :whistling:

http://www.stacklaw.com.au/web/page/government-changes-to-nsw-compulsory-third-party-scheme/news/3037

Maurie Stack OAM, former president of the NSW Law Society and chairman of Stacks/The Law Firm, warned changes to the compulsory third party scheme introduced in NSW parliament will have a devastating impact on people injured in vehicle accidents.

“The changes slash the level of benefits available to the injured person for loss of income, and they will be cut off entirely after five years.

“It takes away your right to sue the negligent driver who caused the accident,” said Mr Stack.

“Under the government’s no-fault proposal, 90 per cent of those injured as a result of the negligence of others will lose their right to sue.

“A family man hit by a driver travelling on the wrong side of the road is effectively having his entitlements slashed in order to provide equal compensation to the negligent driver.

“The government says it wants to do this to lower green slips by about $50. What they’re not saying is you’ll have to spend thousands more to take out your own income protection insurance to match what we already have through the CTP scheme.

"On the government's own figures, only about 5% of the premium dollar goes to lawyers out of 47% retained by insurers. It isn't legal fees that are pushing up the cost of premiums.

"In any event, premiums have only increased from $350 in 1988 to $550 today – an increase of 60% over the last 25 years during which the CPI has increased by 120%

- See more at: http://www.stacklaw.com.au/web/page/government-changes-to-nsw-compulsory-third-party-scheme/news/3037#sthash.Y9KEttY5.dpuf

BACKGROUND

Maurie Stack warns there are five major fallacies behind the government move to change the CTP scheme, fallacies that will adversely affect everyone who drives a vehicle or is injured in an accident.

Fallacy 1: They are only minor changes. Don’t believe it. Ninety per cent of people injured in vehicle accidents will lose their right to sue the negligent driver as their injuries will be deemed to be not bad enough.

Fallacy 2: The changes are necessary to stop rising costs. The cost of green slips have gone up 60 per cent over the past 25 years while the cost of living (CPI) has risen 120 per cent.

Fallacy 3: Accident victims will be better off. Benefits will be slashed for 90 per cent of victims. Instead of payments to cover a lifetime of lost income and medical needs, victims will get weekly benefits for just three to five years. When that ends they are on their own. Insurance companies will largely determine the level of compensation for that three to five years - victims will have limited access to legal advice to pursue a better deal. Motorists lose income protection coverage in their CTP and will have to take out extra insurance, and that will cost thousands.

Fallacy 4: It’s fair the victim should pay for those who cause the accident. The government will introduce a no-fault basis for settling compensation which means the negligent driver will have equal rights to the innocent person they’ve hit. This means a child run down at a pedestrian crossing will have their right to long-term working disability slashed so that the negligent driver can be given equal rights.

Fallacy 5: Escalating legal costs are the problem: Over the last 10 years 50 per cent of the CTP dollar has been paid by insurers to accident victims. The Motor Accident Authority keeps 3 per cent. Insurance companies keep 47 per cent of each dollar collected – 28 per cent to cover expenses (including their legal costs of maybe 5 per cent) plus 19 per cent kept as profit. The average lawyer fee is estimated at 10 per cent of the compensation they have won for their client. Most lawyers don’t get paid at all if they don’t win the case.

- See more at: http://www.stacklaw.com.au/web/page/government-changes-to-nsw-compulsory-third-party-scheme/news/3037#sthash.Y9KEttY5.dpuf

The changes haven't been enacted yet; I believe it goes before Parliament next week.

Prepare to not save any money (in spite of guarantees to the contrary); and start hearing horror stories about people getting shafted.

I wish mine were that cheap Terry; the Stagea was $560, and Shell's little Mazda was $540. :verymad:

Must be because I'm young & stupid. :whistling:

You're also very misinformed.

CTP has already been amended with the new MCIS levies which have come down and are effective from the 1st July this year.

This thread is becoming more and more useless. No 2 people will have the exact same premium for their situation. All you people whinge and bitch about the pricing of CTP, rego costs and half of the information is incorrect which is posted in here.. News flash it's NSW. Talk to some Queenslanders where you'll pay a min of $1k for rego costs for a V8 with and older driver. /rant

Last month

2004 EVO Blue Mtns - Shannon's $440

This month

2003 BMW Blue Mtns - Shannon's $426

Going down - State Govt acting yet?

Yes Terry if you have just received yours you would be on the new rates already.

Rather than reading all hear say articals and news stories everyone can actually read the facts and the new changes on MAA website.

The problem with only reading the MAA website; is as they are Govt funded, you're only getting the Govt's side of the argument.

Rather unsurprisingly; it's all sunshine & rainbows... :whistling:

There is a campaign going on right now & Govt ministers everywhere are dodging the questions and giving stock answers.

I'm sure they've got nothing to hide...

I'm not sure if the Law Society is big on heresay; but here is their take on the changes to the CTP system.

Not as much sunshine, not as many rainbows.

The NSW government wants to introduce new laws which it says will cut the cost of your CTP greenslip. What they’re not telling you is that they also want to slash the amount you’ll get if you’re injured in a car accident.

Help us change the government’s mind before it’s too late.

No fault means nobody wins

The proposed laws will make our CTP motor accident scheme “no-fault”. In other words, everyone can access the same compensation no matter who caused the accident.

This means more than 7,000 additional claims will be made each year, at the same time as premiums are reduced. So the only way the government can get close to balancing the books is by cutting entitlements.

How benefits will be cut

The government plans to stop compensation for most accident victims after just five years. After that, if you can’t work and have medical expenses to pay, you’ll have to rely on Centrelink or Medicare payments.

You’ll only have the chance to qualify for more money in a lump sum if you meet the government’s definition of 10 percent whole person impairment. (Which is hard to prove, even if your injuries stop you from doing your job.)

A financial disaster

The government’s proposed scheme isn’t just unfair, it doesn’t make financial sense either.

Similar schemes in New Zealand and Victoria have run up billion dollar deficits. And they’re underwritten by the government. Ours won’t be.

When our scheme fails, the insurers could simply walk away.

Despite this, the government won’t release costings.

You’ll just have to trust them that it won’t all go wrong.

http://www.lawsociety.com.au/community/CTPReforms/index.htm

Cut benefits after five years, I'd take that over what my father got. They cut benefits after 3 years.

No lump sum from ctp and he can't do shit.

He ended up with a settlement, but from the comprehensive insurer.

That article from the law society is written in a very biased manner.

They write it as if to say "now after only 5 years!" But what is it currently, as in my families experience it stopped way sooner a few years ago.

Find some unbiased information. Ie write down every point side by side on what each is offering and how it's different. Just facts, that's it.

Cut benefits after five years, I'd take that over what my father got. They cut benefits after 3 years.

No lump sum from ctp and he can't do shit.

He ended up with a settlement, but from the comprehensive insurer.

That article from the law society is written in a very biased manner.

They write it as if to say "now after only 5 years!" But what is it currently, as in my families experience it stopped way sooner a few years ago.

Find some unbiased information. Ie write down every point side by side on what each is offering and how it's different. Just facts, that's it.

I remember you saying that your father was hit by a drunk driver? His is a rotten situation, and no-one wants to see that.

The Law Society article IS biased; they disagree with the changes, why would they compliment the changes if they didn't support them?

The MAA are biased toward the Govt's side; as they are FUNDED by govt. Bias is everywhere.

I'm not going to find and catalogue points for/against; if people want to research, I've provided a couple of articles that I believe support my viewpoint.

If they do their research, and disagree with me, that's fine. If they do their research, and disagree; that's fine too.

If you think I'm wrong, that's ok too; yours is a valid opinion, just like mine.

Cheers, Dale.

Without wanting to sound too biased;

Who'd have thought the insurers would stand to make a bucket of money from the reforms? :whistling:

EMBATTLED Finance Minister Greg Pearce introduced green slip reforms, expected to make insurance companies tens of millions of dollars, after meetings with the industry set up by controversial Liberal lobbyist Michael Photios' firm, a trail of emails reveals.

Mr Pearce also received hospitality from Suncorp - which publicly praised the reforms and is a client of Mr Photios - at the last Melbourne Cup.

Insurance companies are also set to benefit from Mr Pearce approving a 10 per cent green slip hike in January, just before pledging to cut green slip prices via his reforms.

It flies in the face of Premier Barry O'Farrell's claims that anyone who employs lobbyists to lobby his government are "wasting their money".

It comes as Mr Pearce enjoyed his first weekend of a month-long stress leave, sharing dumplings with his wife and friends at World Square.

Angry Coalition MPs yesterday questioned why Mr Pearce was given paid stress leave after it was found he misused travel entitlements for a function Mr Photios had organised in Canberra a fortnight ago.

"It's a bit rich to send the Finance Minister on leave on budget week," one MP said.

The emails obtained under freedom of information reveal Mr Photios's firm PremierState organised meetings between the minister's office and insurance giant Allianz, so Allianz could put forward proposals to restructure green slips, in December 2011 and May last year. Subsequent reforms - which cut accident victims' entitlements - will be voted on in the upper house this week.

One of those meetings between Allianz, PremierState and the minister's office featured Mr Photios's business partner David Begg, who is married to Mr Pearce's deputy chief of staff Natalie Ward.

An email from PremierState managing director of public policy Natalie Christiansen to Pearce staff member Kellie Blake, dated April 2012, says: "I write to request a meeting between our client, Allianz, and (Mr Pearce's chief of staff) Ms Joanne McCafferty and (policy adviser) Mr Stephen Marriott ... to discuss recommendations around reform under the CTP scheme."

A series of emails followed, with Ms Blake saying "Joanne and Stephen would be happy to meet with Allianz representatives" but advising that the minister would be out of town, before a May 15 meeting was settled upon.

Pearce gave private secretary's husband to WorkCover role

The December 2011 meeting with PremierState and Allianz occurred a month after Mr Pearce knocked back insurance companies' requests to increase green slip prices.

"My company has assisted Suncorp, Allianz, Employers Mutual and the Australian Rehabilitation Providers' Association with their relations with government ... primarily with Mr Pearce's office," Mr Photios yesterday said.

Asked if his firm had helped get the insurance industry a great deal from Mr Pearce, Mr Photios said: "We represent our clients to the best of our ability."

Under the controversial green slip reforms, children who are involved in car accidents will only be covered for five years of medical expenses and not for life.

The government claims its reforms will cut the cost of green slips by 15 per cent.

Mr Pearce's spokesman yesterday confirmed Suncorp had hosted the minister at the Melbourne Cup, saying: "Members of parliament are routinely invited to numerous events on a regular basis."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/green-slip-change-link-to-finance-minister-greg-pearces-liberal-mate-michael-photios/story-fni0cx12-1226664704136

A FORMER NRMA director says he met embattled finance minister Greg Pearce's deputy chief of staff Natalie Ward about green slip policy, and was subsequently dismayed to learn her husband, Liberal powerbroker Michael Photios' business partner David Begg, was lobbying for the insurance companies.

The Daily Telegraph revealed yesterday Mr Pearce's office was lobbied by Mr Photios' lobbying firm Premier State and Mr Begg on behalf of insurance companies to get on with green slip reform - reform set to reap insurance firms hundreds of millions.

Mr Pearce's office maintains Ms Ward had nothing to do with green slip policy.

Former NRMA director Richard Talbot said he had a meeting with Ms Ward in September 2011 where she told him the proposed reform was all about getting prices down and never mentioned it was being drawn up in consultation with insurance firms.

The Shooters Party said yesterday it would block the green slip reforms in the upper house. It wants the government to maintain legal representation for accident victims and to make it less harsh on injured children, most of whom will now have medical expenses capped after five years.

Mr Pearce, after admitting Premier State client Suncorp hosted him at the Melbourne Cup, also finally admitted yesterday who hosted him at the AFL grand final and Australian Open on taxpayer-funded trips last year.

At the AFL grand final it was "HostPlus - in line with the minister's responsibility for superannuation," a spokesman for the minister said. And at the Australian Open, it was Optus - "in line with the minister's responsibility for information communication technology".

The emails between Ms Ward and Mr Talbot show Mr Talbot telling Ms Ward about why green slips rose under Labor and claiming it came after NRMA lobbying.

Ms Ward replies: "Thank you for the information which is very useful. I will discuss it with Greg. Obviously there are a lot of vested interests in retaining the current arrangements."

A spokeswoman for Mr Pearce said: "Ms Ward met with Mr Talbot once on 27 September 2011. This had no relation to CTP changes. Ms Ward had no involvement in the development or formulation of CTP policy."

But the emails presented by Mr Talbot between the pair, setting up the meeting, were headlined "CTP policy".

"It's about time the public were told the truth about all the behind-the-scenes lobbying the big end of town does aimed at gouging more profits and reducing the compensation of those badly injured in motor vehicle accidents," Mr Talbot said.

Mr Pearce approved green slip rises of 10 per cent for the insurance companies in January. He claims his reforms will lead to a reduction of green slip prices by 15 per cent. Critics claim there is no guarantee there will be that reduction and the legislation allows insurers to push for further increases.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/inside-run-on-green-slip-law-greg-pearce-staffer-linked-to-key-lobbyist/story-fni0cx4q-1226665286665

DIF,

I'm not an expert, nor do I pretend to be; but there can't be zero truth in all of the articles.

I'm all for cheaper prices, but opening the system up the way Zero fault does; can't make it cheaper or fairer for legitimate victims.

I have an automatic suspicion when any Govt agency claims that they're "Improving" anything; especially when they try to sneak it through, and won't release costing information.