SAU Community

What comes with owning a GTR?

Gtr owners,

What is the general public opinion towards your car? Is it mainly good or bad attention that you and your car gets?

Lets hear some comments you've received from the general public about owning your GTR.. tell us your stories ;)

Let me know what i'm getting myself into :rant:

:rofl:

geeez, i have had plenty of great times in the gtr.

some of the best would have to be driving around and having cars pull up alongside me and hang out there windows getting photos of the car :rofl:

the only down side is that u get alot of idiots trying to race u.

My experience has been most public opinion is very positive.

Sitting in the pub having a drink and a car pulled up two people got out and one took pictures from the mobile and the other video'd. Got a scare when I tripped my car alrm :P.

Alot of ppl hang out at the lights and comment about how great she looks etc...

Negative hand gestures (read wanker) from a few truckies and country lads in their Utes dun up to look like trucks.

Commonwhore drivers with a bit of go under their bonnet like to give it a go off the lights which mostly I dont do.

You can make your GTR stand out with aftermarket gear and paintwork or you can keep to original on the outside and receive less attention.

Everyone who talks to you will ask how quick does it go and whats under the bonnet (what have you added) Bling Bling.

But I bought mine for me - so I dont give a sh!t.

PS - It costs on Maintaining, Upgrading, Ultimate fuel and Insurance as pointed out by PVA.

First off, the cons:

Falcodore owners that honestly think they have any sort of chance of beating you piece of jap Crap. Poor souls.

Costs, especially by the time you rebuild an RB26DETT. I've spent 9 grand on my rebuild and I get most of the labour for free!

Insurance companies and cops. Ity's an import, it has to be bad.

The local lads driving in and out of your court (or street) for a glimpse of this exotic beast.

Pros:

Driving around in the greatest car ever made.

The feeling of a long winding road on a quiet Sunday arvo.

Owning a piece of motoring history (a feeling the Falcodore owners will never know)

Being held back in the seat.

Having hot GTS-T owners envy you coz yours is a Godzilla :P

When i first got it i used to get heaps of comments at the lights etc.. heaps of looks, now i don't really notice them, i think its more to do with i'm not looking around at the lights now, don't want to draw attention to myself (or know that the attention is there) I'm paranoid as about parking my car anywhere, so i like to think it doesn't draw too much attention, but i know it does. A mate said to me the other day 'i can't belive all the people looking at us as we drive around' hahah i'd forgotten that it does get looks.

There are the occasional idiot who stereo type you because of the few idiot skyline drivers out there, and cops, but i've been lucky with the cops, only hassled twice and no fines - because there really isn't anything to fine me on.

Cons: Was at the service station two weeks ago buying ciggerettes when some wanker decided to comment "F##king unsafe cars, you'll probably be next" (referring to EVL-R34). Also the typical booner brigade moron comments, but they dont phase me. Cost of maintaining the damn thing!!! Gearboxes.

Pros: The 'mystique' surrounding the GTR badge. Not alot of people know what they are, like they have heard of a GTR but know nothing about them, so they sit there watching and waiting for you to show them what it can do. The unmistakable sound of an inline 6 with solid lifters (nice growl with a metallic noise).

I have owned my R for almost a year and a half now and it still brings a smile to my face everytime I drive it. By far the most awesome 'bang for your buck' car availible.

i dont own a skyline but loving them i notice alot of ppl dont actually know the difference between a gts-t and gtr especially a gts-t with a kit. and they think they aint super quick from that especially if its a gts with a gtr bodykit. i see p platers driving r33 gts with gtr body kits and ppl love them but the guys just think skylines are over rated and piece of shit

i get looks and people taking phone camera pictures a lot. I dont pay much attention to that.

Best one was a porche boxster driver oogling over it yesterday. I mean he obviously is upset that he ended up with a chicks car when he could've been driving a GTR for far less.

before I actually started getting into the Skylines i thought they were common, plain pieces of shite, being that Perth streets are filled with maroon and white r33's and not much else (plus I was severly uninformed!)

thenwhen i started looking around for my next import, voila, r32... :P

so yeah, alot of people dont know too much about them, any of them, so just write em off or ignore em.

What comes with owning a GTR?  

Pentae, most important thing you've all missed is responsibility and to control the inner urge for traffic light GP as well as showing off to your mates.

I've said this before...these cars are primarily bought by middle age drivers who can afford them when new. Younger drivers are lucky to own one due to the Japanese motoring industry high depreciation on used vehicles. If this weren't the case then you all wonldn't be drving these cars. Thus virtually accelerating your chance to buy such a vehicle, you should take a mature approach on the road.

I know when your young it's hard to control the urge for stupidity, but if the Japanese can do so...why can't young Australian drivers. Which is essentially the reason behind all the nazi road rules introduced in Aust.

A need to prove your car is quicker only means you know it really isn't fast as the car next to you...am I correct.

For Me.

Cons.

Upkeep costs.

The constant want to spend more money than you have.

Driving in traffic.

The constant worry about defect potential.

Kids and their annoying questions (Does it have NOS? You reckon you could beat a Ferrari in a race? etc)

Pros

Amazing to drive. This fact alone out weighs all cons.

Getting to always be in the fastest group at track days! :)

Having the most satisying hobby - and knowing there is always MORE than can be done.

Knowing that I don't have to like drifting as a sport because I dont have traction issues.

The escape from the wife when she's being annoying.

Having hot GTS-T owners envy you coz yours is a Godzilla  :)

Hahah you'd envious of my gtst beating your GTR... lol j/k

I dont think gtst drivers are envious of GTR drivers, more just look @ them as a bigger brother haha. My next car will be 34 GTR for sure!

I agree with dmx_121 too, 99% of people dont know the difference between a gts & gtr, they just call'em skylines, & if you drive one with a little exterior work *eg, rims, or bodykit, or watever* you'll turn heads.

When i first got my car i couldn’t believe how many people would just stare @ it, i got sick of that very quickly & i never deliberately look around to see who’s looking at me, its more just people in cars looking back @ me if they overtake me now.

For Me.

Cons.

Upkeep costs.

The constant want to spend more money than you have.

Driving in traffic.

The constant worry about defect potential.

Kids and their annoying questions (Does it have NOS? You reckon you could beat a Ferrari in a race? etc)

Pros

Amazing to drive. This fact alone out weighs all cons.

Getting to always be in the fastest group at track days! :)

Having the most satisying hobby - and knowing there is always MORE than can be done.

Knowing that I don't have to like drifting as a sport because I dont have traction issues.

The escape from the wife when she's being annoying.

Agreed... (apart from the wife bit haha... and being slow at the track)

but worst thing... even when she is running 100% (which is rare) she's a money pit but we love it (the g/f doesn't)!!