SAU Community

green r32 accident?

Point is there is a lot less skylines on the road and imports compared to commonhores, camry's etc yet they seem to make the news quite often, killing several occupants.

It is no doubt these cars encourage speed and have a different kind of power delivery than other normal cars out there. Other cars want to take you on too. I reckon there should be a P plate ban on performance cars (even a V6 commo can be too much pwer through RWD for a lot of P platers esp. in the wet)..get a go kart or something if into speed. Controlled environment wins. Take the skylines to the track!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Point is there is a lot less skylines on the road and imports compared to commonhores, camry's etc yet they seem to make the news quite often, killing several occupants.  

It is no doubt these cars encourage speed and  have a different kind of  power delivery than other normal cars out there.  Other cars want to take you on too.  I reckon there should be a P plate ban on performance cars (even a V6 commo can be too much pwer through RWD for a lot of P platers esp. in the wet)..get a go kart or something if into speed.  Controlled environment wins.  Take the skylines to the track!

You're bloody joking right? V6 commodores are you serious?

If a driver is so crap (p-plater or not) that he/she can't handle a friggen V6 commodore (or any car for that matter), than he/she should not have a bloody licence to drive at all!!!!

:looney:

You're the one kidding right? Many young Drivers can lose it in a corolla. V6 commodores are pretty powerful, big torquey engines newer ones that is

P platers take risks.. I know it - I was there not long ago. not saying I'm perfectly safe now just more experienced and less likely to have a rush of adrenalin

I know I use to push it a lot harder back then. if you drive a car at its limits you can lose it in anything. High powered cars = more likely to want to find this limit, speeds will be higher, less time to react

You're the one kidding right? Many young Drivers can lose it in a corolla.  V6 commodores are pretty powerful, big torquey engines newer ones that is

P platers take risks.. I know it - I was there not long ago. not saying I'm perfectly safe now just more experienced and less likely to have a rush of adrenalin

I know I use to push it a lot harder back then.  if you drive a car at its limits you can lose it in anything.  High powered cars = more likely to want to find this limit, speeds will be higher, less time to react

Yeah and about 8 years ago I was a P-plater too, and at the time I drove a highly modified and very powerful/torquey worked 308, and I DIDN'T loose control of the car!

Why? because I learnt about a little thing called throttle control!!!

All my freinds and family also drove high powered cars on there P's and none of them lost control and crashed either because they to had learnt about throttle control too.

As I said, IF YOUR DRIVING ABILITY IS SO CRAP THAT YOU CAN'T CONTROL A BLOODY V6 COMMODORE THAN YOU'VE GOT NO BUSINESS BEING ON THE ROADS!!!

YOU SHOULDN'T BE BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A CAR!!!

AND YOU CERTAINLY SHOULDN'T HAVE A BLOODY LICENCE!!!!!

i rarely comment in situations like this but i have to say this......its unfair to compare the amount of aust made vehicle accidents to imported ones.....the fact of the matter is that theres no doubt that A)These type of vehicles are easily obtained by younger drivers than they used to be B)The limitations of these vehicles are much much higher than the aust made vehicles,so when they come unstuck its usually in a big way C)Put A and B together and you have got disaster......we all have accidents in all types of cars but being in the repair trade i have to say that a great majority of accidents in hipo japanese cars are "yeah it was my fault"...this is straight from the customers mouth......I cant say its an experiance thing.....its more just the fact of imature people....i get tool's driving past me in commodores all the time...but the sad fact is these days...i get more tool's doing it in hipo turbo vehicles doing twice the speed as the commodore tools because there cars are capable of doing this

78vb - good for you, a lucky one (or your a good driver). Just listen to the post above from someone else. I know some people can drive, but what you say is naieve - Poor conditions, bad tyres and a RWD car could catch a few out. There is obviously a problem with some of the drivers out there, proper training would be good.

Banning high performance cars for a few years till the P platers have more road experience can't make things worse!! Also save them a bit of money - and maybe their life/friends life. I know a few capable ones will miss out. But hey plenty of years for fast cars.

As I said go go karting, get a chick, go surfing etc. Better than cars anyway :P

That's it for me. I'm over it- well not really. Just hate to see people dying in such a senseless way. Any reasonable way to help reduce this is good in my books.

As I said, IF YOUR DRIVING ABILITY IS SO CRAP THAT YOU CAN'T CONTROL A BLOODY V6 COMMODORE THAN YOU'VE GOT NO BUSINESS BEING ON THE ROADS!!!

Youre just proving the dude right, majority of P platers are crap drivers, your using your self as an example when you were a minority!

Youre just proving the dude right, majority of P platers are crap drivers, your using your self as an example when you were a minority!

Now please tell me how I'm prooving the guy right. here's what I wrote;

Yeah and about 8 years ago I was a P-plater too, and at the time I drove a highly modified and very powerful/torquey worked 308, and I DIDN'T loose control of the car!

Why? because I learnt about a little thing called throttle control!!!

All my freinds and family also drove high powered cars on there P's and none of them lost control and crashed either because they to had learnt about throttle control too.

As I said, I owned a powerful car and I never crashed it!!!

I never crashed because as a P-plate driver I exibited something known as common sence.

Same goes for my freinds and family, most of them also owned high powered cars and they never crashed them because they also used a bit of common sense.

Now if a driver is so inept as to not be able to control a car and use some basic common sense while driving, than that person shouldn't have a licence at all.

Don't just try and ban them from driving high powered cars, BAN THEM FROM DRIVING ALL TOGETHER!!!!

78vb - good for you, a lucky one (or your a good driver).  Just listen to the post above from someone else.  I know some people can drive, but what you say is naieve -  Poor conditions, bad tyres and a RWD car could catch a few out.  There is obviously a problem with some of  the drivers out there, proper training would be good.

Banning high performance cars for a few years till the P platers have more road experience can't make things worse!!  Also save them a bit of money - and maybe their life/friends life.  I know a few capable ones will miss out.  But hey plenty of years for fast cars.  

As I said go go karting, get a chick, go surfing etc.  Better than cars anyway :rofl:

That's it for me.  I'm over it- well not really.  Just hate to see people dying in such a senseless way.  Any reasonable way to help reduce this is good in my books.

Luck had nothing to do with it, I just used a bit of common sense, I didn't go around driving like a complete tool.

And you want to talk about poor conditions, well where I grew up it had some of the worst conditions.

I grew up in a small country town in south west NSW, roads were generally rough and narrow, some no more than dirt tracks. Many were pothole riden, covered in loose debree and had many off camber undulations. With a combination of sun,rain, ice and heavy fog it made the roads interesting to dive on to say the least, add plenty of night driving (I use to work nights) and heavy traffic and you have what are some of the states worst roads.

Yet I still managed to control my heavily modified 308 powered 1978 model VB Commodore.

Poor roads and a poorly maintained vehicle is no excuse for bad driving.

If they use a bit of common sense then they shouldn't have a problem no matter where or what they drive.

And if they can't, than they shouldn't have a licence!

It might be too late - you find out they are crap drivers once they are dead or killed someone else. Even a performance driving course will not weed out the bad from the good. And then you have many guys and girls that dont want to drive fast at all..why should they have to pass a performance driving course just so they can drive at the speed limit.

Fact is these cars and many others are being driven too fast. You take away the high performance cars, the speeds they crash at will be lower, temptation may not be as great etc etc.

It's ok to admit other people may have a point and also to not think your driving is perfect...that can be dangerous, resting on your lauerels or something like that

Man benl1981 you have a habit of saying the right thing! Good work man!

It is too late to find out they are a crap driver once they have killed someone. They are not exactly black listed from their test and haev tabs kept on them. Smaller engine - generally equals less power and speed in the event of an accident.

Ban the insurance companies insuring these people at whatever cost which should cut it down a lot. Of course people will still joy ride and there will be idiots at any age.

I typed a good response yesterday but the bloody browser crashed!

It might be too late - you find out they are crap drivers once they are dead or killed someone else.  Even a performance driving course will not weed out the bad from the good.  And then you have many guys and girls that dont want to drive fast at all..why should they have to pass a performance driving course just so they can drive at the speed limit.  

Fact is these cars and many others are being driven too fast.  You take away the high performance cars, the speeds they crash at will be lower, temptation may not be as great etc etc.  

It's ok to admit other people may have a point and also to not think your driving is perfect...that can be dangerous, resting on your lauerels or something like that

Since I began my involvement with the Australian Drivers Group, I have spent a fair bit of time studying driver behaviour and you'd be suprised just how easy it is to pick up on bad driving habbits and predict who is going to be the most likely to get involved in an accident. All you really need to do is pay enough attention.

If the government got tough on licence tests, you'd be suprised how many bad drivers you'd be able to pick up.

True you might not spot all bad drivers, but you'll get a hell of alot of them.

I feel licencing does hold part of the problem, having watched my girlfriend go through her test in Vic. The examiner told her he would be watching out for her obeying stop signs, keeping out of cycle lanes and observing traffic around her. I couldnt believe this when I heard it!

I did my test in the UK and resat the theory here and the things I have seen here that young drivers are taught scare me. The main one being drivers taught to move to the shortest queue at traffic lights to keep the traffic from banking up, never mind if it halves someone elses braking distance in the mean time.

The reason I dont think reducing engine size will be successful is because there are not enough small engined cars produced locally to sustain it. The market value for the old commodores and falcons would fall through the floor. If more barina and festiva/fiesta vehicles were produced or had been produced, it could be viable I feel.

What happend to the days of jumping in the old holden ute, going into an unused paddock and doing as much circle work and learning how to correct the vehicle and knowing its limitations till you feel comfortable - If I still had my old holden ute I would love to go down and find a big patch of clover..

The problem is with skylines being a fast car, my old ute would be revving her hole off at about 120, which the r33 will quite happily reach in 3rd gear. Drift seems to be a problem these days, as you ask most import drivers - they are drift kings.

Cheers

Sumo