SAU Community

Camera Reviews

dan_the_man

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking at buying a begineers dslr, two options currently is the nikon 5100 and canon 60d, price difference is a few hundred, worth getting the more expensive canon?

It really depends on what you prefer. Go into a shop where you can hold both in your hands and see what feels more comfortable - think about the button layout and the size of the grip/whole camera. If you feel one "sits" better in your hands right from the start, then you're more likely to use it more often.

Oh, another thing to consider is if you have friends and/or family that have a DSLR camera too - if you buy the same brand as them, then you can most likely swap/share lenses and accessories once in a while too.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone here have a personal review of the canon G12? I've looked up reviews on the net but i would prefer to talk to someone here who has used one and could maybe show me some photos taken with the camera?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here have a personal review of the canon G12? I've looked up reviews on the net but i would prefer to talk to someone here who has used one and could maybe show me some photos taken with the camera?

I bought a G12 recently, check out my post here: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/369057-beginners-camera-choice/page__view__findpost__p__6008656

• 5 months later...

I've had a Pentax Ist DS DSLR and I still have a Pentax K7 DSLR. Both hae been great and I've had no problems with either. The only issue is the cost on lenses, check out what good qualitly lenses will cost you. Other than a Pentax my second choice would be going with a Cannon DSLR, I've even thought about switching myself.

• 3 months later...

Camera: Canon 7D with 15-85mm USM Lens

Price Range: $1240 (Thanks duty free!) Lens $350 (Thanks mate who didn't want it)

Date of Review: June 2012

Like? The fact this camera can turn average shots into something special, it's almost like it has retard correction. Shooting in RAW gives even more flexibility and can turn average pictures into 'the goods' with Adobe

Dislike? Tons of features, so many that sometimes setting up a shot can take time as you figure out WTF you are adjusting, 3 self programmable presets are fantastic though for a good start before shooting

Rating: 9 out of 10

Sample picture:

All the following pictures are as is, just resized and converted to jpg, no POST has been applied at all

post-1182-0-12008100-1339915798_thumb.jpg

post-1182-0-28773200-1339915854_thumb.jpg 15 Second Exposure

post-1182-0-07674000-1339915922_thumb.jpg

pretty much all the photos i post up were taken with my G12.

im happy to answer any questions you may have

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

looking at buying a begineers dslr, two options currently is the nikon 5100 and canon 60d, price difference is a few hundred, worth getting the more expensive canon?

same boat as me and i decided to go the D5100.

• 1 month later...

sometimes sites such as Snapshot use ridiculous comparisons such as the 7D being "thinner" than the 60D. Come-On Man! A difference between 2.9 inches and 3.1 inches is certainly nothing to tout as an advantage (or disadvantage) additionally a color depth of 22.2 bits vs. 22 bits is also really scraping the bottom.

• 2 months later...

I've used the G12 and it's worth every cent. Think about it like this, if you'd rather not carry around bulky slr gear like some of us and still want the awesomeness of everything canon has to offer get the g12. It's actually used by a lot of photojournalists currently out in the Middle East and i know one In Particular who's put down his 5D MK II and has stuck with his g12 while on assignment in Damascus with their civil issues going on. Why? Because its tough, light, easy to hide, takes a beating and still performs like a god, AND shoots video.

The reviews have it that it's just as good for studio shoots as well with the right lighting setup.

Worth the investment. I'd say go for it, take some shots and post em up on here!

Edited by aaiezz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've got a 7D at the moment. Whilst I mainly focus on video, my fiancée is a pet photographer, and she is a big fan as she shoots in a lot of low light environments. We also have a 600D, and she rates the fast shutter lag, and the ability to goto a higher ISO without noise on the 7D much higher.

We'll be upgrading shortly, and I'm going to be going for the new Canon 70D, due to the new autofocus system for video (This is crucial for me) and she will be upgrading to the 6D for the full frame sensor, and much better high ISO noise rating.

She was originally going to go for the 1DX, but whilst it is an amazing camera, the $6500 price tag is just a bit too exxy at the moment. I was also looking at getting a Canon C100, but again, at $6100, its a touch too expensive at this stage.

Cheers,

Shaz