SAU Community

Oil Control In Rb's For Circuit Drag Or Drift

Work out the % of increased flow in your oil pump over standard and reduce the restrictor size by the same amount if not slightly more if you rev it.

There is a fluid flow vs pressure vs hole diameter formula you will need. Plenty of online support.

Thicker oil will reduce flow.

Another patch is a scavenger pump from head to sump. Works fine. Plenty of OEM cars use this method. VDO do a specific pump.

Matt

Other than that. Don't run your breather to vac. Go atmo if you have a MAP sensor. Vac encourages the oil to stay in the head. Provent do a catch can that regulates pressure to keep less of a differential from head to sump encouraging flow back down.

& I've read heaps of pages & couldn't find anything

The answers are all in the thread. If you get it wrong you could blow your engine. I could spell out what to do but your next question could (and should be) "why?". .. and then I would have to re-type miles of stuff that I and others have already contributed. You need not only to know what to do but to know why you are doing it so that you are happy with your decisions. Probably the last third of the thread should give you the picture and in fact there is a summary of the important points towards the end somewhere. I suspect that you are too lazy to read it properly but if you genuinely have a comprehension problem (difficulty understanding what you have read) I apologise. In that case send me a PM and I will PM you some info.

• 1 month later...

Can someone confirm my setup, fairly sure im on track but good to get feed back.

Goes like this

I have both inlet and exhaust rocker covers venting to a 3 port catch can. The third port is routed to the turbo intake so it will be under vacuum. I have retained the line from inlet manifold to pcv to inlet rocker. So whilst motor is under vacuum its pulling air out of rockers through the intake manifold. When its under boost PCV shuts and pulls air through the turbo :)

Its a neo motor so oil restrictors should already be in check.

Cheers

regarding picture, line to turbo is not hooked up and i realise thats heater hose lol was just dummy fitting

post-28961-0-40374300-1408599396_thumb.jpg

Edited by n_D

Can someone confirm my setup, fairly sure im on track but good to get feed back.

Goes like this

I have both inlet and exhaust rocker covers venting to a 3 port catch can. The third port is routed to the turbo intake so it will be under vacuum. I have retained the line from inlet manifold to pcv to inlet rocker. So whilst motor is under vacuum its pulling air out of rockers through the intake manifold. When its under boost PCV shuts and pulls air through the turbo :)

Its a neo motor so oil restrictors should already be in check.

Cheers

regarding picture, line to turbo is not hooked up and i realise thats heater hose lol was just dummy fitting

Sounds like how I have mine setup and I have no issues

Hey guys

My setup is:

Both cam covers going to catch can with -10 lines

Blocked PCV

Catch can vents to atmo

Has other usual oil mods like reimax gears, oil restrictor (think 1.1mm) mines cam cover baffles, oil cooler etc

Now my catch can has another -10 thread welded onto it that has a rubber cap over it and not in use, should I run this somewhere?

I hear people run a seperate line from can to dipstick when giving the car a thrashin?

Does that just basically act as a breather and helps oil flow back down the head?

Is 2 lines from the sump to the catch can really needed? Surely the one drain line won't be full of oil all the time and would act as a vent?

Edit:

Also looking at this can unless someone can recommend a better can?

Edited by 33SOM

Is 2 lines from the sump to the catch can really needed? Surely the one drain line won't be full of oil all the time and would act as a vent?

Edit:

Also looking at this can unless someone can recommend a better can?

Will it fit your car? Looks good but don't you know a local fabricator who could make you one for about half the price?

I had my first track day with my RB20 last friday.

My catch can is fairly simple : there is only two line going from the two rocker cover to the empty catch can which is vented to atmosphere.

Wrecker RB20 with stock internal, highflow turbo, 12psi/0.8b, 444cc injectors, Z32 AFM on standard S13 airbox with a cold feed, FMIC, FFP, STD RB26 oil pump RB25 filter support modded to accept a CA18 oil to water cooler and a 19 row oil cooler.

Standard clutch fan and 2 row 32mm copper radiator.

I run 5w30 valvoline synpower oil.

The weather was ideal, it was a sunny day with 20~25°C.

The catch can didn't spill any drop of oil, no overheating and I stopped trashing the engine when the oil passed 120°C.

I could run for 15 min (~8/9 lap) or so before stopping because of oil temperature.

I could run the engine 100% per cent during the session with plenty 8000 rpm shifting without dramas.

My main problem was the power steering reservoir which was spilling fluid way to close to the turbo. Time to install a cooler on the power steering circuit.

Will it fit your car? Looks good but don't you know a local fabricator who could make you one for about half the price?

I just bought the R33/34 one from them for near double that ( but my one has the washer bottle as part of it ) and worth it for the non hassle off designing and fabracating, they are also not just an empty can they are baffled with SS gauze to actually catch the oil vapours :thumbsup:

I have a AN-12 running from factory oil return on RB30 to the bung I between the two 26 manifolds and a AN-16 running from block to Walsh/frost plug at rest of head on hot side

I have a AN-12 running from cold side of block to oil cap and one as a return from front catch can with one way valve

A catch can that sits on engine attached to the two cam cover breathers which I put a baffle plate into the two AN-12 line from that to the Hi Octane catch can up front then two AN-12 lines one back to the PCV and the other to the inlet of rear turbo

The block returns where drilled to 9mm and head to 10mm and the back returns die ground smooth

Will know if it works on the 22nd of September :D

Sorry my profile needed updating.. Car is a 32gtr.

I have emailed Hi Octane and asked if they could put in another -10 outlet while its being made.

Cheers

I got the return changed to -12 and an extra -12 up top for an extra $20, they where very happy to do what I wanted

Hmm I got quoted $30 for an extra -10 up the top.

Oh well as long as it works :D

I went in there in person and turned out I knew one of them so maybe that got me a $10 discount lol

I had a look inside mine with the flexi camera and it should work well :thumbsup:

PS they have a kickarse collection of 80s BMX race bikes :yes:

I went in there in person and turned out I knew one of them so maybe that got me a $10 discount lol

I had a look inside mine with the flexi camera and it should work well :thumbsup:

PS they have a kickarse collection of 80s BMX race bikes :yes:

Ah ok. I was happy with the $30 anyway. Plus free postage so all good :D

I had my first track day with my RB20 last friday.

My catch can is fairly simple : there is only two line going from the two rocker cover to the empty catch can which is vented to atmosphere.

Wrecker RB20 with stock internal, highflow turbo, 12psi/0.8b, 444cc injectors, Z32 AFM on standard S13 airbox with a cold feed, FMIC, FFP, STD RB26 oil pump RB25 filter support modded to accept a CA18 oil to water cooler and a 19 row oil cooler.

Standard clutch fan and 2 row 32mm copper radiator.

I run 5w30 valvoline synpower oil.

The weather was ideal, it was a sunny day with 20~25°C.

The catch can didn't spill any drop of oil, no overheating and I stopped trashing the engine when the oil passed 120°C.

I could run for 15 min (~8/9 lap) or so before stopping because of oil temperature.

I could run the engine 100% per cent during the session with plenty 8000 rpm shifting without dramas.

My main problem was the power steering reservoir which was spilling fluid way to close to the turbo. Time to install a cooler on the power steering circuit.

rb20 dont have the problem