SAU Community

Oil Control In Rb's For Circuit Drag Or Drift

Cheers for the lesson. Didn't realise that 1.1mm and 1.2mm where very close in size..

The reason I asked is cause the chart listed early stated 1.25mm for street, 1mm for drag/circut.

I plan on doing all 3 of the above tasks and thought a 1.1mm was a good inbetween spot but wasn't sure if a 1.1mm restrictor would cause any issue's on the street.

I have a 1.1mm and a 1.2mm sitting in front of me.

Some of these things are calculated. You can't just feel like a number inbetween is good.

Depends how pedantic about it you want to get, you can sit down and work out your tolerances and intended oil viscousity and oil pump flow and pressures etc etc, then intended use for the car and then after all that just whack the 1.2mm in there lol

I have a nitto pump and use 10W40 with relatively tight tolerances and have two 1mm restrictors in the RB2630 and use the car for whatever is goin on :)

Is your larger sump suitably baffled and gated? Accusump is not a bandaid in my view but a valid solution - but it costs a bit and takes up room.

Ive got the Same problem with My 34.

Under Hard braking aswell. Pressure drops to about 20 psi with the rpm still around 4.5k

Only has a stock sump , but most of the aftermarket sumps only really allow for oil surge during cornering

What Brand of sump are you using

I use an ASR sump... Its only the street/race version not the full race (Not 100% sure what the difference is)...

Oil pressure is fine belting around corners and bouncing off ripple strips etc, its just under brakes...

Its dropping below 20psi and it regains as soon as throttle is applied.

The last track day at SMSP South did not have the issue but i assume that is due to the lower speed of the track which doesnt require braking as hard...

Depends how pedantic about it you want to get, you can sit down and work out your tolerances and intended oil viscousity and oil pump flow and pressures etc etc, then intended use for the car and then after all that just whack the 1.2mm in there lol

I have a nitto pump and use 10W40 with relatively tight tolerances and have two 1mm restrictors in the RB2630 and use the car for whatever is goin on :)

I noticed at SMSP South :ph34r:

Been looking to get a proper circuit sump for my rb2630 for awhile... I don't mind spending the money but I want to get the best one. One that fits with the white line sway bar that's already in the front of the car(and rear).

I would like to get asr but it's not good to read they don't fit and hit swaybars and/or need to be modified when they arrive. Then it's not good to read they don't actually prevent the oil pressure dropping under braking.

Does rips do one that works?

If it was for a gtr motor I would contact racepace and get them to modify the stock alloy sump as they do for the gtr's. Does anyone know if they will modify a tin sump to proper specs?

I've been tempted to run it with the stock sump but I don't really want to do that

Been looking to get a proper circuit sump for my rb2630 for awhile... I don't mind spending the money but I want to get the best one. One that fits with the white line sway bar that's already in the front of the car(and rear).

I would like to get asr but it's not good to read they don't fit and hit swaybars and/or need to be modified when they arrive. Then it's not good to read they don't actually prevent the oil pressure dropping under braking.

If it was for a gtr motor I would contact racepace and get them to modify the stock alloy sump as they do for the gtr's. Does anyone know if they will modify a tin sump to proper specs?

I've been tempted to run it with the stock sump but I don't really want to do that

Tbh, mine has rubbed on the swaybay and i was going to look at alternatives when the engine comes out next...

I was annoyed when i first went to Wakie and saw the problem. The car has now done 5 full track days and is still kicking which is a good thing.

The Accusump is a good fix but if the setup is designed right from the get go there shouldn't be anything to fix, I went through the data logging from SMSP last Monday and I have no drops of oil pressure at any point, fuel temp on the other hand got very out of control most likely the cause of it breaking down after a few laps :(

The Accusump is a good fix but if the setup is designed right from the get go there shouldn't be anything to fix, I went through the data logging from SMSP last Monday and I have no drops of oil pressure at any point, fuel temp on the other hand got very out of control most likely the cause of it breaking down after a few laps :(

Fuel temp should be sweet on mine as i have the cooler setup... Oil pressure, well ill monitor it and fix it if it causes me a hassle.

All you really need is a transmission cooler or similar with pipe size through it approx the same diameter as your fuel return line. Best sort of location would probably be near the back of the car just before the tank return, and you might need to consider ducting some air to it from a scoop under the floor. I would do this rather than locating it at the front of the car for fear of opening a fuel leak during a front end collision.

You can buy dedicated fuel coolers, but I'd experiment with something nearly free first.

I just don't look at the gauges and hope for the best. It seems to have worked for the last 2 years.

Been trying that, so far so good :P

Haha, unfortunately that didn't work for me twice now :( so data log check everything as I go :)

Mat, what fuel cooler setup have you got cause I'm goons have to do one and maybe so will as he was having the same issue as me

Just a custom setup made by JEM... There are pics in my build thread somewhere :)

• Like 1

Ok sweet, I'll have a run through and see if I can see it :)

I've been looking into tranny coolers but finding one to suit the -8 lines is proving difficult as they all seem to neck down to 3/8ths, otherwise yeah am planning on putting it at the back so it gets protected by the rear diffuser

Tbh, mine has rubbed on the swaybay and i was going to look at alternatives when the engine comes out next...

I was annoyed when i first went to Wakie and saw the problem. The car has now done 5 full track days and is still kicking which is a good thing.

Thanks for the reply, I'm still not sure which is the best racing sump to buy though. What proven alternatives are there to asr? Is it too much to ask for one that fits and works

Going off a few threads (eg. http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/266179-high-energy-sump/page-3) I've read before and will read again probably I think I'll contact asr and lewis engine and see if they can send me some pics etc. it's only for a basic rebuilt 2630 with -5 turbos running about 1 bar boost but I'd still like something that will work and keep the engine alive.

Edited by Gts30t

• 1 month later...

Ok since I'm running a single turbo and have the original rear turbo drain fitting on the block, blocked off, I've noticed afew people run a hose from that rear turbo drain up to the cam cover fitting,

Would this act like a vent ? Is it worthwhile in helping the crankcase vent and help il drain quicker ?