SAU Community

Turboclub.com Track Timer

TurboX

Looks like the resolution of bluetooth devices is inherently unaccurate and will not allow anywhere near good enough timing for track events in the way I had envisaged with using your mobile phone integrated bluetooth. ;)

BUT, there is another nearly as good solution I am testing at the moment that has said to have millisecond accuracy. :)

The ONLY downside is that it will cost about $55 dollars for the in car hardware to buy from me once off to be able to use the system. :D

I will be testing the "TurboClub Track Timer" as it is to be known as, at the moment and will report more soon.

Previous entries into TurboX's BLOG recorded below...

QUOTE(TurboX @ 27 Feb 2006, 04:16 PM)

You would think that in this day and age with so much electronic and computer WiFi stuff around cheap that it should not be to hard to come up with some ideas on how we could make this a reality.

Anyone like to think about this as I am sure its not too hard...

Guess I have to reply to my own post as no-one else looks like they are going to

OK - since asking the question, I have come up with the ANSWER!! At virtually NO COST!

Works like this -( I wont bother to patent this as it's just too obvious )

Drivers Mobile Phone (MUST be BlueTooth Enabled)

Some ones Laptop -ANY -

TurboClub Track Timer Assembly & Software - Donation to SAUVIC by TurboClub.com and City Notebook Centre - 8 Market St. Melbourne, www.CityNotebookCentre.com.au

I will say I am going off a bit half cocked -so to speak, here - but the concept seems sound and the proof is not far away - stay tuned.

Guy's, I have been working on the track timer and its looking good but the resolution looks at this stage to be only within the second.

For example Phillip Island 1:48 (- I wish!?) No tenths or hundreths possible -YET;-)

What do you think Snowman? Do you need more resolution to make sure Chris is not close enough?

UPDATE***

OK - consensus is that it NEEDS to be 1 /100ths.

It looks like this is a problem with Bluetooth as the Hardware/Software does not have the capability to resolve to anywhere near this level which is a pity as using the drivers phone had a lot going for it in terms of ease of use and deployment.

I do belive that 802.11 has millisecond timing capabilities but the logistics of deployment in the competing vehicle make it harder unless everyone has a laptop!

AND I am not going to lend them out to everyone

I am sure there is a solution somewhere though just have to think of it.

TurboX how is it that bluetooth restricting you in 1/1000 of a second, cuz am finding it hard to figure how exactly ur goin abt this from ur post.....am intrested to know wut ur main concept is aswell as if u do have a sketch or graphical representation of ur concept....wud be easier to understan.....

I am doin a masters in networking n specliase in wireless communications and wireless application development, while my cousin just graduated from electrical engineerin....so both of us are intrested to understand ur concept.....

TurboX how is it that bluetooth restricting you in 1/1000 of a second, cuz am finding it hard to figure how exactly ur goin abt this from ur post.....am intrested to know wut ur main concept is aswell as if u do have a sketch or graphical representation of ur concept....wud be easier to understan.....

I am doin a masters in networking n specliase in wireless communications and wireless application development, while my cousin just graduated from electrical engineerin....so both of us are intrested to understand ur concept.....

Not exactly the type of people he would want to share his design ideas with :D.

With your qualifications you should be able to design your own.

Interested to see how this works out, beats taping a stop watch to your steering wheel! :P

Just one question, will it enable the driver to see the lap times as they reel them off or will it just record them trackside?

Interested to see how this works out, beats taping a stop watch to your steering wheel! :woot:

Just one question, will it enable the driver to see the lap times as they reel them off or will it just record them trackside?

If it happens the way I want it to, it will send the lap times to the drivers phone each lap as well as recording automaticly to the laptop.

The Bluetooth system is not good enough to resolve the actual timing functions but it will allow transfering the times to the drivers phone if he has bluetooth enabled. - you could tape that to the steering wheel hub ;)

The actual timing will be done with another wireless system that has the 1/100 of a sec capability, and I am working on this at the moment. :P