SAU Community

Good Cheep Daily Driver/tow Car

The UAS car is towed to events by a V6 (i think) VN/VR auto commodore wagon, it seems to do it ok

Otherwise, go for one of those OLD land cruisers - thats my plan, they'll pull almost anything :thumbsup:

Yeah i have an old turbo diesel pajero at the moment. but have problems towing a boat!

so i need to think of what i can use!

i think its actually illegal to tow with a commodore and falcon! but i havnt ruled them options as they are cheep as chips! and are good on fuel and the like.

my brother can source me pretty much whatever i want when it comes to cars/etc for cheep also so what may be someones 15k will be my 8-10k..

Old FJ60 Landcruisers arent too bad for legally towing that much stuff but dont expect it too be fast!

Or very nimble either as theyre freaking huge old tanks

But theyre tanks!

(But in the price range you want)

FJ40's will do it too but theyre actually sometimes more expensive than the 60's, the short wheelbase or ute ones are the go if you can find a good one for the right price, diesel and in short wheelbase or ute configuration. Theyre super tough and also super slow.

Edited by MK2

Bah! I wouldn't touch an old Cruiser.

Used to have one here for dads old business. It didn't want to pull a 1.3tonne machine (About the weight of GTR, prob less) on a car trailer. Was absolutely hopeless on hills!

Commodores can tow upto 2.2Tonne (new ones)

If you want, you can buy mine cheaply, has manual gearbox, new, heavy duty clutch (good for towing) new brakes, new tyres.

It's a VR V6 manual, and the 6 in Commodore and Falcon tow VERY well.

GQ Patrol

although they are absolutely pissweak in the legroom department.

diesel version.

petrol version is woeful on fuel economy. i'm sure fatz can attest to this.

best part about gq patrol? they have exactly the same climate control knobs etc as an r31!!!

Ive got a FJ60 cruiser petrol its thirsty very thirsty it will tow anything go anywhere tho, very reliable cant kill it... and a 84 Corona as a daily work car cheap as chips on fuel paid 100 bucks of my uncle for it, the best 100 bucks ive ever spent. You would get a decent cruiser for the 10g.

Fuel is always going too cost you a lot on anything which is good for towing or like someones said, gas could be an option. Personally I prefer diesel or just a huge petrol engine. Old X series panel vans and sedans arent too bad if they've got the 351 clevo in them, aftermarket diff, decent gearbox, they already come with a pretty strong chassis with takes readily too huge arse tow gear.

(My old Ford Landau was definately the shit for towing in style though, 4 bucket seats, aircon, 4 wheel disks power everything which was pretty novel in a 1974 vintage. Sadly I sold it)

351's are too bad if you dont molest the pedal too much, otherwise you can just sit there in summer with the aircon on and watch the fuel gauge plummet every time you give it some binking and theyre 'f**ken stupid' proof motors if you look after them.

Edited by MK2

GQ Patrol

although they are absolutely pissweak in the legroom department.

diesel version.

petrol version is woeful on fuel economy. i'm sure fatz can attest to this.

best part about gq patrol? they have exactly the same climate control knobs etc as an r31!!!

Ditto,

Go for GQ Patrol they're cheap as chips nowdays, you could pick up 1 for 2-3k (petrol verison, diesel are more than that due to demand) and spend the change on gtr or turbo it. GQ Patrol makes excellent towing machine if Petrol, go for 4.2l or find a 3l and turbo it, Diesel, 4.2l is sluggish unless it has aftermarket turbo, and one last thing, don't get 2.8td, slow pos you won't like it when towing!

2 door Ford maverick! SOLD!

same as pajero. around a 91 model, some i have found on dual fuel. or straight gas!

Seem to be rather cheep and in the price range..

now i have alot of shit to sell. anyone need an os triple plate clutch? trust dog box? arc 32 gtr air box???

Neil went falcon in about that price range and is very happy with its towing....but I couldn't lower myself to buy a local POS.

So i bought an imported POS instead, navara ute, cost about 4k, rated to tow 3 tonne came with air and power steer (both essential if you are dragging big loads everywhere). the motor isn't up to the job it is only the 2.4p really struggles on hills.

Go for an AU Falcon. What you are describing is what they are designed for. They are much better than a Commode for towing not least because they have a live rear axle. They are dead cheap because no one wants them. They are pretty economical too. 10K will get it done.