SAU Community

The Epa Thread/Roadworthy Thread

Do-Luck

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Long time reader first time poster. I have been doing some digging around into acts and legislations. The document that everyone seems to recommed is the EPA 2006 Modification guide which isn't actually a legal document but just a guide.

The Legislation the guide is 'suppose to follow' is the Environment Protection (Vehicle Emissions) Regulations 2003 which can be found here http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au (choose the 'E' and choose Legislation and go down to 60)

the PDF link I have added

http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/Domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/LTObjSt4.nsf/DDE300B846EED9C7CA257616000A3571/AD52E1CA8ECA6916CA2577610035F8CA/$FILE/03-10sr010.pdf

This is what laws EPA Victoria have and what all EPA testers must abide by.

Yes the document has the typical legal layout (which is painful to read) but from reading it and going over it with others. Most of what is in the EPA 2006 Modification guide isn't actually in the legislation it is suppose to follow. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if there is another Act or Legislation I have missed please include it.

There are so many points I can make about who and what has been deemed non-epa compliated but yet is not in there legislation. I know EPA is a VERY touchy issue but I am putting this out there hoping it could make a difference and help inform people what is the law.

Yes I have been playing to much Deus Ex: Human Revolution and think the EPA are evil conspiracists controlled by the Greens which control the Labor Government.

Well the few things i checked.

- Exhaust noise

- Vehicle Emission controls (which covers ECU, PCV etc)

Were the same in the Guidelines, and Stat Rules. And that is what 99% of people here are going to be pinned for ;)

Also the part you have referenced is simply the emissions part for Victoria dont forget. There is more too it like:

Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009

That one also makes reference to ADR's and other things about emissions etc. I really CBFd trolling through it to see exactly what is referenced but my guess would probably say enough to make it a headache to then go and check each ADR.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Just my luck i recieved a Noise Test request from the EPA. Thank god its not a full epa since im running a topmount with the rb30 inside. But i just wanted to be 100% sure, is the simple process of just showing up to a tester, getting it tested then giving the Certificate of Compliance to the EPA? No need to show the car?

Also, should i be worried about chucking the OEM r34 GTT exhaust back on with the amount of modifications i have done to the engine? (eg, gt35r, rb26/30, custom vband dump, ect) no chance of me damading the engine due to back pressure right? Obviously i wont be on WOT but what about the actual test at 4800rpm?

Where are they sending you for the test?

As i have said previously a mates GTR got done for noise, pod filters and a boost controller and the tester said if the car isn't stock its going to the EPA. He wanted stock Nissan cat or an EPA approved import cat with paperwork to prove it complied, stock FPR, stock exhaust, stock FMIC etc

Any "lenient" testers you recommend nismoid?

Although i have to replace my whole exhaust system, i just dont want any further issues with anything else. If thats even possible.

BTW ive been thinking about a racepace exhaust, do you recall what the ball park price they charge?

Been calling them 2 times a day for the last 2-3days but no one ever picks up or even returns my calls =[

No such thing as lenient either it's under or it's not

sorry alex let me be more spesific,

I dont want to draw attention to the fact that im running semi slicks, a top mount turbo ect, A noise tester wouldnt be concerned about this stuff right? Nor should he ask to see the engine?

Sorry mate, just saw your in Melbourne. If you were in Sydney i would say prepare the vaso as regardless of what they catch you for they rape you for everything up here, but Melbourne may be a bit different

Sorry mate, just saw your in Melbourne. If you were in Sydney i would say prepare the vaso as regardless of what they catch you for they rape you for everything up here, but Melbourne may be a bit different

Gosh man that must be a nightmare.

When i got home from work and opened up the mailbox to see a envelope from EPA . . . . my heart sunk and i was preparing for the worst. A full engine rip out and buying a new rb25 to put back in. To my relief it was just a noise test. I dont know how much longer i can go driving a car like this lol.

sorry alex let me be more spesific,

I dont want to draw attention to the fact that im running semi slicks, a top mount turbo ect, A noise tester wouldnt be concerned about this stuff right? Nor should he ask to see the engine?

They are testing for noise as i said.

That is all they care about.

go to exhaust city in chelt. great guy for epa noise testing. epa noise testers dont give a shit what your car looks like as long as it pasts test your fine. then you fax it through to epa and your cleared

I had an EPA for noisy exhuast on a VN (had a note through the mail saying the jacks had reported it), I took it to the local RACV place & he failed it so I made some restrictors & went back.

He told me he suspected that restrictors had been installed and threatened to report it to the EPA.

I took it somewhere else & they passed it no probs.

All they do is stick a microphone behind the exhause (they have measuring sticks to make sure it's in the right place), give it a couple of revs and that's it.

As said before, they don't care about anything else on the vehicle, just the noise level, think it's like 90dBA

As for roadies i's getting really hard to get one now because they have to take pictures.

Used to get them all day long up lol

When I bought my R33 they stung me for tint on the door too dark, new windscreen as the one on it was "sandblasted" & front brake discs.

Taking the tint off was fun (not).

• 1 month later...

I just think its BS how this state/ country doesn't allow you to modify your own vehicle how you want. Not allowed 2 intake mods wtf?? not allowed this not allowed that... what if your car is 10 times safer than standard form then what??

As sad and stupid the laws are im still going ahead with my custom setup. Just puts a downer on it after reading a few posts about it all.

I wish there was good reasons behind not allowing after market modifications. :(

I just think its BS how this state/ country doesn't allow you to modify your own vehicle how you want. Not allowed 2 intake mods wtf?? not allowed this not allowed that... what if your car is 10 times safer than standard form then what??

As sad and stupid the laws are im still going ahead with my custom setup. Just puts a downer on it after reading a few posts about it all.

I wish there was good reasons behind not allowing after market modifications. :(

I think because of the following reasons:

1. Cars have safety features which you can affect by modifying. (Airbags, seatbelts, crumple zones, etc. etc.) Just think about that fully sick 5" monster tacho you see on some dash's. Then picture said tacho hitting the driver in the head when their whole body is flung forward because they rear ended someone.

2. Cars have pollution equipment in place to minimise how much nasty stuff you inhale when your mate drives off. CATs are fitted for a reason. Cars are tuned for pollution minimisation. etc.

3. Modifications done by back yarders can be dangerous as they haven't got full knowledge of engineering principles and the ADR's.

4. Putting modifications to driveline components (such as fully sik 22" chrome bling wheels) means other components wear out faster as increased loads contribute to extra stresses on the system. Again, your average backyarder (and some mechanics for that matter) have no idea when it comes to 'system engineering'. Hence why we have to use an automotive engineer for drastic and not so drastic changes.

I guess to sympathise with you about 2 intake mods.... Agreed, the EPA are a bunch of idiots. They should be educating car enthusiasts on how to get the most performance and fuel economy, but minimal impact on the environment. Don't get me started on Vicroads. Those guys have no idea what so ever. They brought in some rules to say cages weren't allowed to be fitted to cars (at all) because it affected crumple zones etc. Pity that means older cars (say pre 90's) which may not have crumple zones now could not have a cage if you wanted to drive it on the road. Fortunately they have reversed their decision. Twits!