SAU Community

Phillip Island Sprints - March 31

Bec

Watching the video I was going to suggest that to you.

I'm also suprised Jack uses 3rd through Southern Loop. I'd have thought 4th was a better option? What do the other R32/R33 GTR guys use through Southern Loop?

I'm using 3rd there as well. I find 4th is good around the apex (actually I think there are two there) for stability but my 2530's are too lagy on exit and it costs time.

3rd gives good punch out of the corner, just have to remember not to get too aggressive on the throttle in the early stages of the corner.

Cheers

Andrew

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep I also used 3rd around the southern loop...although coming out of the corner I was running out of revs and had to shift to 4th. Might try using 4th there next time.....Should mention that this is with N1's running 250 or so awkw....

Very impressive drive Troy and Jack, and not sure about any other times but these boys stood out it seems? Love the vids too, and will put on our site for others to see. I will also put it on the Zed forum to rev some fo the guys up as we are on there this Easter Sat for the Datsun Nissan Nationals. You guys sure have set the yard stick. Very handy to learn the track as I have never been there.

Troy looks like you are riding a wild horse. What suspension do you have?

Edited by Boosted Zed

W A R N I N G ! ! ! Data analysis about to happen, BORING !

So: I've dissected the DriftBox data from My 2.7 flying laps, before the gearbox cried "ENOUGH!"

The TT-Compound Re55s on the rear were starting to get squirmy on my last lap, but they were hanging in there. I'll start running through the last lap I did:

Lap: 1:53.5 (theoretical! - I moved the S/F line on the DBox software to before the 'box died)

V.Max on PitStraight=220km/h (I've only got 200rwkw!)

T1: Braked just after 2nd white line on track, down to 170km/h at turn-in, Eased into 0.9Gs

T1: Scrubbed down to 164km/h (1.25Gs through Apex) before powering out to 178km/h.

Into Southern: Braked in a straight line for 20m, before bleeding off into trail-braking, roughly in middle of track.

(Note: Southern Loop is 400m long!)

100m into Southern: 1.2Gs, 116km/h, bleeding speed to 108km/h at 160m, where car goes light:

190m into Southern: 0.95Gs, 106km/h, start looking for that EXIT ! !

225m into Southern: 1.2Gs, 112km/h, grip & track come back to you, on the gas!

400m: 0.45Gs, 142km/h, straightening up, getting that throttle buried hard into carpet. I'm 4.7degrees sideways here! !

And on and on it goes, just illustrating how much you can pull from a data trace. Over those 3 laps, I got 65metres later on the brakes into T1, with at least 20m up My sleeve on the last lap! The data shows I was quite gentle loading up the car into the fast corners, as well as having heaps to spare coming onto the front straight.

You can D/load the DriftBox analysis software FREE from their website - I'm happy to email You my traces So You can see how soft I was in the scary-quick bits ! ! ! :pirate: (no hiding with datalogging!)

Ohh - I'm not sure how accurate this is, but according to this, coming through T12:

10.9 Degrees sideways @1.0Gs, @ 159km/h !

FOR THE WIN ! ! ! !

Yeh i started looking at my data last night before i fell asleep. Looking at the best of each lap there is a 1:49 in it...so i would hope i could string a mid-high 1:50 with a few slip ups here and there.

I have off the shelf Bilsteins from Whiteline that were used as the development kit for the R32 back in 2001. Im keen now to do something about improving the suspension as the weekend reminded me why I didn’t like PI after Sandown…my car as is suits Sandown so much better.

That wasn’t my quickest or coolest lap. The 1:52 flat wasn’t too bad a lap, but the 1:53 flat lap looked the coolest :pirate:

Very impressive drive Troy and Jack, and not sure about any other times but these boys stood out it seems?

Here you go John - see where you can fit yourself into this list over Easter.

1. JagR33, R33 GTR - 1.46.36 sec

2. Aaron34, R34 GTR - 1:46.51 sec

3. Snowman, R34 GTR - 1:48.02 sec

4. Scotsman, R33 GTR - 1:50.1 sec

5 ferni, R33 GTR - 1.51.35 sec

6. BBGTR, R32 GTR - 1.51.76 sec

7. Roy, R32 GTST - 1.52.00 sec

8. Rowdyr32, R32 GTR - 1.52.23 sec

9. provo, R34 GTR - 1.53.97 sec

10. Ant97GTR, R33 GTR - 1.54.01 sec

Phillip Island is by far the hardest track I've driven on to get your head around. It's very difficult to reach your potential there the 1st time out simply because of the speeds and commitment needed on some of the corners. I have no doubt that you will want a return visit after the Nissan Nationals over Easter.

Oh - and if you are going to be running cheater tyres then Highlander ran a 1.44 on them at the weekend as well in an R33 GTR. :pirate:

I HAD done a whole picture-post with captions & whatnot, but the forum won't allow the type of link (dynamic).

I know there's pics of:

TRoy,

Nick (Bonnet pins lookin good dude!),

The GTR that Jack built,

Anthony: (A lil' crossed up in one, just before it gets messy!),

Gareth,

John,

Aaron,

Recovery F.T.W. ! ! ! (You'll see)

Wayne !

Ray: Dude, please, PLEASE pull some fuel out of this thing: (mid-shift)

Steven

Me Passing a WRX (the natural order of things), and later returning broken 'boxed (NOT the natural order of things !!!)

So then, I'll just link to the whole Album,

P.I. Photo Album, taken with Ben's Nikon digital SLR (thanks Ben!)

More boring data from my DL1...

I'll show You my Data if You show Me yours . . . .

Data1.jpg

Like I was saying . . . . . . R A Y ! ! ! PULL SOME FUEL OUTTA THAT THING MAAANN ! !

DSC_2078.jpg

I had a nice lil' chat to George, who's doing the Sakers . . . . . . I'll take two, thanks!

DSC_2044.jpg

I was going to say the reason why there is no pics of BRI58Y is because everyone has to put their fingers in their ears everytime he drives past so there's no way to take pics!

Perhaps you were both going too quick for anyone to take photos

Hahaha yeah either that or they were running for their lives thinking we were going to come through the barriers at speed :)