SAU Community

Phillip Island Sprints - March 31

Bec

Snowy had knock issues.

Matt had cooler piping issues.

Jack broke 5th gear but still did a 49 with just 4 gears haha

Gareth is a madman, 1.52's on street tyres!

Brisby is nuts too, 1.52 flat....

The 911turbo piped jack and aaron .... but the MPC purple GTR killed everything.

And i ended up with a 1.51 after i found some balls in the last couple of sessions thanks to gareth and some words from jack, still not enough, could of gone faster with another session dammit.

What happened to you BB?

Results are up:

http://www.racetime.com.au/?event=p0701&am...mp;view=fastest

Intercooler clamp. never happened before.

I was gunning for a 49 today. Nevermind next time.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also want to say a massive thanks to Ray (RE customs) for getting my car ready for today.. wouldn't have made it today without him! Anyway I've had 3 hours sleep last night so I'm going to bed.

See all you crazy mofo's at Sandown :)

What a day. full of surprises, mostly bad ones but none the less i had a ball! Goodwork by all the fancy yellow vest wearing people, we appreciate it.

We should organise a PIRAC day later in the year, and we should all put screamers on because we can then :) 75db.... pff

bit of bad luck for some unfortunately, hope you can get the car going again anthony...

Here are a few photos, mat took most of them.

P1010030.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010062.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010055.jpg

P1010052.jpg

P1010051.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P1010037.jpg

P1010034.jpg

P1010033.jpg

P1010031.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010028.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010020.jpg

p1010018.jpg

Looked like a top day!

Sorry to hear about a few minor mis-fortunes, but there is always next time.

What happened to Ant? Is he alright and the car?

I wish i could have come but i had to work, only to find when i arrived on site, that the store opening had been delayed :) Friday night wasted, 6am wake up on Sat morning for nothing :D

What's wrong mate? Your car sounded tough and strong when you fly pass us!

The practise session I was just doing system checks - I kept my eye more on my gauges than I did the track. But I also never really pushed the car past 6,000rpm.

The first timed session I pushed a bit harder once I started my flying lap but as soon as I hit around 7,000rpm the engine warning light started flashing and knock hit 230 so I pulled the pin after just 3 corners. So whilst my run of failed track days continues I have now set a new record for the least number of laps I've managed on a day! So thats a PB at least. My main aim for the day also was to drive the car home in the same condition I took it there which I also managed to do. i.e. I drove a bucket of shit there and I drove a bucket of shit home again. :)

But Brisby has given me renewed confidence. His car has had as many issues as mine and yet yesterday he finally got the run he was after and the car seems back to all its glory so I still have hope mine can make it there too one day.

One day.

Snowie, because i know how frustrating it is, my heart sank when i came back into the pits to see you packing up. But it got you home so fingers crossed its just a little gremlin.

It was sad to see Anthonys RB20 huffing and puffing so early, but it sounds like it was expected based on what the mechanic has been saying. I will chase up that bottom end of mine that is at ICE. If you can pick it up yor welcome to it.

I do have major concerns over the mental and emotional state of Gareth when he dongs on the helmet. 1:52 is freakish on road rubber. I think Tash needs to sit you down and look at what she is putting in the Rowdy survival kits :) ....and maybe give the rest of us some :D

Big thanks goes to Chris for helping me out with some parts and most importantly his time. Much appreciated and also the mid week pep talk from coach...gave me the focus to spend the bank to just get the car done. And fark me, i think i have turned a corner the car was mega strong and pulled hard all day. 247km/h on the straight and 6,800 in 5th gear...the thing just hauls...im stoked with how the car went

PI track, great weather, what else can you ask for??? Was a recipe for fast times with the conditions, and there was a variety of cars in attendance, from street cars to full race cars, from Corona's to Porsche Turbo's it was there....

I guess it was a mixed bag of high's and low's regarding the SAU boys. Bad luck to Snowy and Anthony (Italiazr1), I guess Snowy was lucky to drive his car home where I think Anthony didn't get to do 1 lap.. And also to Matt (GTTR34) for intercooler pipe clamp issues, I'd like to see what the car can do with the new setup, CHEATER!!! :D

Well done to the Andrew's (BBGTR & Ferni), dipping into the 1:51's is certainly going quick and both PB's, I told you Ferni to BELIEVE in the car!!!!! You smashed your PB by 6 seconds!!!!

Huge congrats to Brisby, all that heartache and pain($ :) ) during the week to get the car to the track has definetly reaped its rewards, a PB of 1:52.000 is absolutely flying, long live the RB20!!!!! Another 1000th of a second and your in the 51's.... NOT BAD AT ALL!!!!

Also a worthy mention is Gareth, do you not fear for your life??? 1:52.2 on STREET TYRES!!! Dude, I'd like to see what you can do with semis....

And also congrats to the rest of the SAU boys that were there, Ant, your car looks tough!!!!

Big thanks must go to Aaron, for showing me the light, following him around really opened my eyes to what my car is capable of, the grip levels are phenomenal, especially on the fast corners, it was a matter of staying on the gas, turn the wheel and believe in the car. Scary but awesome feeling at the same time. I managed to beat my PB by 3 seconds... That was my high, but unfortunately there was a low.. :D Stretching out 4th on the straight on the first lap in the last session of the day, I went into fifth a little too quickly, and then, there was nothing. The car was free revving like it was in nuetral, went back into 4th and it was fine. Decided to stay out there as the rest of the gears were perfect, and managed a 1:49 with 4 gears.

So it looks like I need another gearbox :) or see if the boys at Racepace can repair/change 5th gear synchro...

And last but not least big thanks to Bec and Chris for marshalling duties, and West and other SAU members with flagging, did a great job out there and without people like you days like these wouldn't run as smoothly.. :)

OK that's enough from me, I'll upload some video footage later....

Damn! it sucks that i missed it for nothing. I am going to claim 3hrs o/t from work to make up for it though :)

Hopefully one day i'll have the balls to do the Island and even Sandown worries me :D .

well yeah my car is screwed i wish i had a lap

but anyway ringing the mechanic tomorrow probably start building rb25 then hopefully 300rwkw

dont know about track days anymore seems like more trouble than its worth

might still get warrenty and maybe fix rb20 but i doubt it so otherwise rb25 on the way

if so i NEED HELP getting a good quailty engine dont wanna have this trouble again

anyone selling rb25 ??? in good nick

well yeah my car is screwed i wish i had a lap

but anyway ringing the mechanic tomorrow probably start building rb25 then hopefully 300rwkw

dont know about track days anymore seems like more trouble than its worth

might still get warrenty and maybe fix rb20 but i doubt it so otherwise rb25 on the way

if so i NEED HELP getting a good quailty engine dont wanna have this trouble again

anyone selling rb25 ??? in good nick

Speak to SXR mate

He might be able to source something for you. I feel your pain, when i saw the smokes coming out of your engine, i ran toward your car to see if everything was ok, so fast that i ran into the mug without even realise, my gym shoe :).

Like Ryan (Ryan did the driver training for you didn't he?) said, lucky it didn't catch fire as oil was all over the engine bay.

yeah he did im devistated mate it takes a while to sink in when sh-t like this happends

im bleeding inside.

i new it would go but not so soon

who is SXR have you got a number and what do they do?

yeah he did im devistated mate it takes a while to sink in when sh-t like this happends

im bleeding inside.

i new it would go but not so soon

who is SXR have you got a number and what do they do?

Its the place that SAU held dyno day recently! RE CUSTOM.

LOL...im so gay. Have watched my video footage 3 times already. Now to learn how to edit it up and subject you ppl to dome footage...so big thanks to Ant for the cam. Scotch and DCs are on me next time round :)

ok boys ive decided now that ima get the car back on the road asap

Im taking bets on if i can get it ready for sandown (hopefully make some money to pay for it)

With the help from everyone here i recon its achievable

you watch me put down a crazy lap time when its back

screw the driver training its just like a go kart only 200km/h faster

Good to hear it. my suggestion for that would be use all your bits to make a strong reliable engine with a bit of power, and spend some money on things like suspension, wheels, brakes etc. If you are going to speak to ray, he will probably give you a good insight into what you could do to make a fun and reliable car for track days without spending heaps of money, but getting good value from the upgrades...

Hey Italiazr1. Bad luck with the engine. Do you know what happened?

If it's a bottom end problem go for an RB25DE with a thick head gasket and your turbo and top end. I've never done it but know it's possible. If I blew my bottom end that's what I'd be doing. RB25DE's are pretty cheap and lots more torque.