Bec

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy crap, you back in town Ant???

Be good to see another GTR ripping it up on the track!!

Street tyres as usual??

Faxed and ready to rock!!!!!

Lol...yep got back on the 3rd >_< I managed to track the R at Barbagallo before I left but I am hanging for PI!

As for the street tyres....hopefully no, but still hush, hush >_<:D

The WRX motorsport committee have made a change in regards to driver training. They would like all driver trainers to allow an instructor to drive their car for their first time on every track. This is to give the owner of the car a better understanding of the lines and braking points.

Having done driver training myself, I think this is a good idea, as it's quiet hard to tell someone where they should be driving and braking and at what speed's that should be done, but much easier to show them.

Also a message from the motorsport director:- If you don't yet have your CAMS licence, please get in touch with CAMS to arrange this prior to arriving on the day of the event, as the WRX club wont have people avaliable to help you out with this on the day.

A few people have asked the question in regards to doing doing Phillip Island sprints as your first event.

The official answer from the WRX Club is:

You can do driver training at Phillip Island as your first event

You can do driver training and if your instructor believes you are skilled enough he can allow you to participate in sprints.

If Phillip Island is your first 'sprint' event you will need to provide details of an advanced driver training certificate.

The WRX motorsport committee have made a change in regards to driver training. They would like all driver trainers to allow an instructor to drive their car for their first time on every track. This is to give the owner of the car a better understanding of the lines and braking points.
That's all fine and good, but if the instructor farks up and damages the car (looses controll and hits a wall, etc) will he/she take full responsibilities for repairs. The owner will know the car better than an instuctor, and as most instructors on the day are not "qualified instructors" will they pay for any damage caused by their driving?

That's all fine and good, but if the instructor farks up and damages the car (looses controll and hits a wall, etc) will he/she take full responsibilities for repairs. The owner will know the car better than an instuctor, and as most instructors on the day are not "qualified instructors" will they pay for any damage caused by their driving?

I believe the owner of the car signs a disclaimer allowing the instructor to drive the car.

Instructors are people with lots of track experience and will be driving way below racing speeds as it is just a sighting lap, nothing more.

i.e.

Session 1 - Sighting Session with Instructor Driving, Learning Lines, Braking-Entry-Apex-Exit points etc..

Session 2 - Slow Session with Driver Trainer Driving, putting into practice what was learned in session 1.

Following Sessions - The DT's speed will increase as confidence and experience grows throughout the day.

The Instructor may let the DT continue the day solo once he is confident the DT is aware of his/her surroundings and in control of the car.

If you are not comfortable with that then we suggest you go and do a John Bowe course or similar before joining us on track. :laugh:

does DT at calder count? I assume yesm however it wasn't a great day for high speed and breaking...although good for ppl like me who were noobs with a rwd with street tures on a slipperly track.

Even if the answer is yes to the above question, would it be a good idea to do DT again? I really just wanna do a few laps and my own speed and build some experience and confidence.. From memory they timed the DT laps last time also.

does DT at calder count? I assume yesm however it wasn't a great day for high speed and breaking...although good for ppl like me who were noobs with a rwd with street tures on a slipperly track.

Even if the answer is yes to the above question, would it be a good idea to do DT again? I really just wanna do a few laps and my own speed and build some experience and confidence.. From memory they timed the DT laps last time also.

I would say do DT again at Phillip Island, it realy is a high speed track and you need to see what speeds to slow down to and where to slow down and turn in, as a mistake at the island can be a big mistake.

Plus you'll get more out of the island and get confidence up quicker with someone helping you.

Having done driver training myself, I think this is a good idea, as it's quiet hard to tell someone where they should be driving and braking and at what speed's that should be done, but much easier to show them.

Also a message from the motorsport director:- If you don't yet have your CAMS licence, please get in touch with CAMS to arrange this prior to arriving on the day of the event, as the WRX club wont have people avaliable to help you out with this on the day.

I think this is a good idea, however i think it should be a 'strongly suggested' thing, rather than forced. Perhaps a passenger lap in the instructors car could give the same idea on lines/braking points, but being a different car, the speeds/braking points will be a bit different.

I learned a lot from letting a trainer drive my car at my first PI sprint, showed me that my car was capable of going much faster than i was, made me feel more comfortable.

But like Chris said, if you're not comfortable with the WRX rules if they want to force this, you always have the option of doing Driver Training somewhere else before coming to WRX club.