SAU Community

Phillip Island Sprints - March 31

Bec

sorry guys a little off topic but does everyone just do this as a day trip or do some stay up there etc?

oh and what should I be putting down as my expected lap time if I do 1:29's around Sandown... just a ballpark will do (I figure around 2mins maybe 2:10's?)

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you do 1.29's at Sandown you should be able to get under 2.00m but put that down for starters as it takes "most" people all day to get their head around Phillip Island (unless you are Blaise in which case you'll manage a 1.52 on your 2nd lap which is only 1s off his best lap).

As for driver training - it takes a brave man to get into the passenger seat of a relative novice at a place like PI!

Depends if you want to be with faster or slower cars Nick. I think you'll struggle to break 2mins on your first day there... I think you should aim for somewhere between 2:00 and 2:10....

thanks guys going to be a bit conservative as I would rather be with slower cars than be looking in the mirrors all the time (that and my tires have well and truly gone off)... I think I will have to do a dodgy cut on the speed limiter for PI... I can get away with bashing the limiter for a few seconds at the end of the straights at Sandown but I think PI will demand a higher top speed?

Despite what loose nut GTR drivers re doing at PI. Anything under 2mins is quick. Anything under 2:05 is very respectable. Especialy for first time out.

I am hoping to do a 1:55, and i have done a 1:25 at Sandown. Hope to go quicker, but i have never finished a single session at PI so i have no idea how i will go. LOL, R32 reliability, have never been able to get the car to hold together for 4 laps ;)

Will ring mechanic today and see if im right to enter.

Well thats up to you Nick ;) you can always just let off down the straight, but if you stay flat i'm sure you'll be well over the 180 limit.

haha there shall be no lifting on the straight!

I will just put a switch in for the time being to cancel the limiter... dodgy mods FTW!

does DT at calder count? I assume yesm however it wasn't a great day for high speed and breaking...although good for ppl like me who were noobs with a rwd with street tures on a slipperly track.

Even if the answer is yes to the above question, would it be a good idea to do DT again? I really just wanna do a few laps and my own speed and build some experience and confidence.. From memory they timed the DT laps last time also.

I'm doing DT again, and will do it for each new track we go to this year. I prefer to go out on the track with someone to know all the braking points etc. before I even attempt them myself.

Hey guys, couple of questions:

What sort of time could I expect at P.I. (for grouping), considering I did a 1:41.6 at Winton with a blown Manifold->Turbo gasket (I expect a 1:40 flat when fully fit)

Will the WRX club mandate a 4-point harness if I run R-compounds on my lightly modded GTS-T ?

Ta - Nathan.

I'm doing DT again, and will do it for each new track we go to this year. I prefer to go out on the track with someone to know all the braking points etc. before I even attempt them myself.

Hey Shane, jump on www.pcv.com.au (Porsche Club Victoria) and have a look through their track day/events stuff. They have vids on there with laps of all the tracks which should give you a bit of an idea of the track before you go.

What sort of time could I expect at P.I. (for grouping), considering I did a 1:41.6 at Winton with a blown Manifold->Turbo gasket (I expect a 1:40 flat when fully fit)

Will the WRX club mandate a 4-point harness if I run R-compounds on my lightly modded GTS-T ?

Ta - Nathan.

Nathan,

I would expect that you could aim for 1m57's - 2m providing you dont have a speed limiter and your R-compounds are in good condition. Sorta depends on how crazy you are, as Phillip Island requires big kahoona's for first time drivers to break 2m. (This is how we came up with the two ball sport thing for team wang.)

The WRX club did specify in 2006 that they wanted all cars in modified class to run a 4-point harness. The semi's put you in modified class for the SAU championship, so I think the answer will be yes. But goto them for furthur clarification if you definatly want to run without one. I would get in contact with the scrutineer for the event, because the motorsport director may not have that information as she is new to her role.

haha there shall be no lifting on the straight!

I will just put a switch in for the time being to cancel the limiter... dodgy mods FTW!

I am sure you will need it as my GTS4 Auto RB20 was hitting the speed cut about 100m after getting onto the main straight about 7 years ago BEFORE I modified it! 2.04 was the result and I am a novice pretty much.

Nathan,

I would expect that you could aim for 1m57's - 2m providing you dont have a speed limiter and your R-compounds are in good condition. Sorta depends on how crazy you are, as Phillip Island requires big kahoona's for first time drivers to break 2m. (This is how we came up with the two ball sport thing for team wang.)

The WRX club did specify in 2006 that they wanted all cars in modified class to run a 4-point harness. The semi's put you in modified class for the SAU championship, so I think the answer will be yes. But goto them for furthur clarification if you definatly want to run without one. I would get in contact with the scrutineer for the event, because the motorsport director may not have that information as she is new to her role.

I'm agree with Chris. This was only the 2nd track I had been on and I recommend taking it easy in the morning and building up to it. A lot of the corners your going to be doing the speeds of the back straight turn at Sandown for example. I was doing 1.31's at Sandown and started the day doing a 2.07 and brought it down to a 1.57 and consistant 1.58's on street tyres with 200rwkw.

There are so many options for lines and I never worked it out. I'm definantly going to do what Dane suggested and view some other peoples footage if diffent cars. Theres a lot to learn.

I've been hanging out for this for a long time know. Can't wait! This was the most fun I'd had at a track day! Expecially turn 3 and turn 12. Out of control scary but still in control if you know what I mean.

Ta - Nathan.

Up to you what you put down, but with a 1.41 at winton I think you could break 2mins at PI. All depends on what your comfortable with. On street tyres i was doing 1.43's at Winton and 1.57's at PI.

Cool - thanks guys. Hey: how many folk have 4-point harnesses? I've been V.strongly advised to get one for P.I, which is fine if I wanna keep doing track days in the skyline, but I'm not sure if I do . . . . decisions decisions!