SAU Community

Phillip Island Sprints - March 31

Bec

ah we were just confusing things here,

we were talking about a another PI track day that was on yesterday,

sunday the 26th,

doesn't matter i ended up sailing, it was much more fun than i expected,

was a 40ft yacht that has completed 26 sydney to hobarts, it's now retired from racing but is still used as a weekedn cruiser toy... lots of history

and very weird to be a the "helm" of,

yes Dane, I am a pimp :D

Big pimpin' yacht style, I like it!

:D

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

cheers Al

well I WAS going to fit them on the weekend... had assumed autobahn or supercheap would have some but neither did... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Race shops such as merridian, revolution, gmp, etc have them.

cheers Al

well I WAS going to fit them on the weekend... had assumed autobahn or supercheap would have some but neither did... can anyone point me in the right direction?

meridian motorsport sell them.

HELP !

Okay - assuming I pull everything together (quiter exhaust, tyres, harness) and get the app. in, I'm still not sure on . . .

Bonnet: Does it need a strap or something, as well as the two factory latches?

Stickers: Do I need a door-number, and a battery triangle, for the Skyline's battery in the boot?

Passengers: Will they need a 4-point harness (I'm running R-Compounds)

Noise limit: If a car scrapes in under the 90db stationary test, should it be kosher at P.I. with 75db trackside?

I've only run the (wonderfully loosely regulated) Fridays at Winton - I've gotta get new rear R-Compounds for P.I, coz mine are into the tread bars. D'oh ! !

Thanks heaps guys - Nathan.

for the sake of it I would get the battery sticker, it's relatively easy to do, and will be needed for scrutineering.

the number sticker isn't needed as far as i know.

with the noise limit, just be concious of where the noise tester is and if your car has passed the epa noise test in it's current state then it should be ok.

buy a bonnet strap when you pick up the stickers, they are pretty damn cheap and good roof insurance....

i'm not sure on the passengers ruling, someone else care to enlighten him? (i'd imagine a harness is a requirement)

is there definately going to be a passenger session?

Harness won't be needed for passengers sessions (if there is one) as you are expected to only drive at 80% if you have a passenger.

And I can tell you from personal experience if you mess with the 80% passenger rule at PI they will come down on your ass hard. At places like Winton they really don't care what you do as long as you stay on the black stuff but at PI if you set an evenly remotely competative time with a passanger (say a 1.52 :happy: ) you can expect to be packing up and going home afterwards.

You will need a battery sticker and a secondary bonnet restaint. They will provide you with competition numbers on the day. And if you can pass the 90dB you will pass the 75db track test easily.

I'm 99% sure you don't need a strap now for secondary bonnet restraint since skylines (as do most cars these days) have the catch latch thing that counts....

I'm 99% sure you don't need a strap now for secondary bonnet restraint since skylines (as do most cars these days) have the catch latch thing that counts....

I am unsure about this as well. I think it has something to do with CAMS Vs ASAA events. CAMS requires a secondary restraint but ASAA does not. Can somebody please clarify this for us? I took mine off the car thinking it was not required, then I was horrified when I got to the next track day and needed it again.

Of course, I will just leave it on for every track day now!

All this stuff is doing my head in. I was really looking forward to the track day

im new to this stuff i was gonna do the driver training and just have a run. my car is in the moddified class type C

So this means i need a 4 point restraint or somefin???

Do i need it even if im just doing the training?

i put a fire extinguisher in already

And now what you cant be over 75db or 90db

Its a bloody race track whats the deal with the noise thing?

And what about the bonnet restraint can it be a rope or tie down or does it have to be an approved restraint???

Is there someone i can call to work out exactly what i need for my car

PI isnt exaclty next too my house so i dont wanna drive all that way and get knocked back

If i do apply and pay for it all then still get knocked back do they refund the money???

I need to talk to some one that knows all the BS

Other wise im not going... :)

It used to say in the supp regs that a restraint wasn't needed for certain cars (I think it was cars manufactured after a certain date). Looking at the supp regs for this it looks like a strap will be required.

i dont know man i just looked at all the supp regs it says you have to have a belt in accordance with 2007 sport manual so i looked at that and it says you must have a restraint in accordance to table 1 section 6-18 and that says you can have a type c or d which is the normal belt but then it says under notes

"seat belts as fitted to production cars as standard equipment and marked as complying with ADR 4/00 or 4/01 shall be deemed as complying with as2596"

so i think that means you can just have the standard belts???

correct me if im wrong im not sure

is there anyone that knows? who can we talk too that is sorta running the day?

i think we all have to have:

a blue triangle for the battery

a fixed extinguisher

a secondary tie down for the bonnet and it can be rope

a db reading less than 75db on a drive by 30m away

Is that all??? this is my understanding of it

i read another bit im not too sure about on section 6-5 point number 2

"if fitted with any crankcase breather discharging to atomospher each breather be vented to a cacth tank of 2lt for 2000cc or 3lt for over 2000cc"

does this mean an oil catch can?

cause i dont have one do you think i could put on the stock bit of hose and just vent it back into engine for the day then take it off??

i dont know man i just looked at all the supp regs it says you have to have a belt in accordance with 2007 sport manual so i looked at that and it says you must have a restraint in accordance to table 1 section 6-18 and that says you can have a type c or d which is the normal belt but then it says under notes

"seat belts as fitted to production cars as standard equipment and marked as complying with ADR 4/00 or 4/01 shall be deemed as complying with as2596"

so i think that means you can just have the standard belts???

correct me if im wrong im not sure

is there anyone that knows? who can we talk too that is sorta running the day?

i think we all have to have:

a blue triangle for the battery

a fixed extinguisher

a secondary tie down for the bonnet and it can be rope

a db reading less than 75db on a drive by 30m away

Is that all??? this is my understanding of it

i read another bit im not too sure about on section 6-5 point number 2

"if fitted with any crankcase breather discharging to atomospher each breather be vented to a cacth tank of 2lt for 2000cc or 3lt for over 2000cc"

does this mean an oil catch can?

cause i dont have one do you think i could put on the stock bit of hose and just vent it back into engine for the day then take it off??

I think you have it all there. It can be a bit overwhelming your first time, but you get used to it all and it all makes sense once you've done it. The DB reading is Philip island specific, other track days don't normally have it, or it isn't enforced.... I think most of us will be taking a non racing line and lifting off near the DB tester, and hoping he goes home after the morning....

As for the crankcase breather thing, i think if you have a catchcan that vents to atmosphere thats what they are talking about... not 100% i have a catchcan already that is piped back in.

What mods put you in Mod class? If your doing driver training you're not really in any class i don't think, since you're not ment to be timed :D

Anthony - you won't need a harness. The standard 3 point set-belt is fine.

The only people that are being asked to use a harness is the guys in quick cars like The Stig. And once you start getting good and going fast you'll find you'll want one anyways as they do help hold you in the seat and let you concentrate on driving rather than holding yourself in place as you tend to do at places like PI. But for now you'll just be getting a feel for driving around the track.

The secondary bonnet restraint can just be a tie down rope. My advise is to just get one. It's piece of mind and will cost you <$5. Trust me on this - the last thing you want is to approach the hay shed with your bonnet wrapped over your windscreen. Although it would be the most exciting 20s of you life.

And don't stress over the 75dB thing unless you know you car is farken loud or has a screamer pipe or something. You will get a warning if you are over - not kicked off straight away and if you do get a warning there are plently of us down there that can give you a hand to try and get you passed. But I would be VERY suprised if you get pinged. But 75dB @ 30m will be a much louder car than the standard 90dB EPA test.

Ignore the section 6-5 bit.

Nathan the factory tow hook does just fine. Just be aware that they use fabric tow lines to pull you out of the sand and depending on your front bar/rear bar it might cause a bit of damage. After market tow hooks extend out to prevent this.

You do not need a sticker to locate it just make sure you know where it is to point it out if needed....

Nathan the factory tow hook does just fine. Just be aware that they use fabric tow lines to pull you out of the sand and depending on your front bar/rear bar it might cause a bit of damage. After market tow hooks extend out to prevent this.

You do not need a sticker to locate it just make sure you know where it is to point it out if needed....

Sweet - Thanks.

Hey: Your 'Line throws flames too ! ! ! it's fun, eh? =D