SAU Community

Stagea Fuel Economy

RUS

Why would you skimp on something as important as engine oil?

x2

fully synthetic please

nulon hi-tech fast flowing has been going pretty well in mine but its not a true fully synthetic (only class 3, barely fully syn)

will be changing to Gulf Western S6000 Sougi next week, its hard to find but its as good as Motul 300v Chrono apparently but only $60-70 for 5 litres

and its nothing like the cheapo $12/bottle stuff supercheap sell either

worth looking for really

ive posted mods a few pages back,

got pod, fmic, boosted slightly more then stock, dump off the turbo, gutted cat and hks exhaust, thats about it.

i dont drive her too too hard but i still give her a push here and there....

Nice one. Pretty surprising you haven't got it retuned or anything. I just filled up today. 410km and 54L (13.1L/100km). Not brilliant.. I really want to get a wideband AFR meter and see if I can lean it out a bit more for normal driving. Hardly gunned it at all during the last tank.

Why would you skimp on something as important as engine oil?

I know I know what you mean. I have 3 cars and the other 2 uses Royal Purple which is not cheap. Although I use cheaper mineral oil for the Stag, I change it more often. Still that's no excuse! :blink:

Well now that one car is going, I thought I'd use a better oil on the Stag so hence the change.

my S2 gets about 320k's per tank, maybe alittle more if i am highway driving. main reason is that i have a gtr-s, front mount, exhaust,stock boost, stock maps (nistune fitted).

once i get the board tuned i'll find the economy will go up dramactley.

my S2 gets about 320k's per tank, maybe alittle more if i am highway driving. main reason is that i have a gtr-s, front mount, exhaust,stock boost, stock maps (nistune fitted).

once i get the board tuned i'll find the economy will go up dramactley.

Thats pretty low for a series 2, especially with those mods... Hope the nistune helps dramitcally

• 2 weeks later...
...I also would like to say, i really hope to see under 10l per 100k after my nistune install, hi-flow panel filter and turbo back exhuast....

How has fuel economy gone since the nistune? I have very similar mods and am tempted if it's going to reduce my fuel bill dramatically.

Edited by webng

626kms 78.8L (not impressive, but it was fun :( )

As an aside, I would not recommend running so low on fuel in an M35, I accelerated moderately up a minor incline, only to have the engine drop out on me for a split second due to a lack of fuel picked up by the pump lol.

• 5 months later...

G'day,

Just picked up a std S2 RS4V and drove it back from sydney to melbourne.

From Goulburn Caltex to Caltex Avenel 99% highway driving at 110kmph we used near on exactly 60lts of 95RON for 557km (odo actualy read 570kms due to smaller than std tyres fitted).

However a drive (correct tyre sizes) around town and highway, pretty much a 50/50 split saw a drop in 100kms of economy ie 470kms for again pretty much 60ltrs of 95Ron Caltex.

Deduce from that that maybe a drive 100% round town means 370km per 60ltrs - "Crikey"!

And also light comes on at close to 60lts used - Are these things 65lt or 68lt tanks?

Thought I'd add my readings.

"Safe Boating",

Mike.

675 km's for 75 L y'day

roof rack, windows down, air con on, no pussy footing

gonna fit a fuelstar fuel catalyst soon too so will get back to you on that when I do

The available evidence would seem to indicate these are a con. Did you fit one and has there been a long term difference in consumption?

G'day,

Just picked up a std S2 RS4V and drove it back from sydney to melbourne.

From Goulburn Caltex to Caltex Avenel 99% highway driving at 110kmph we used near on exactly 60lts of 95RON for 557km (odo actualy read 570kms due to smaller than std tyres fitted).

However a drive (correct tyre sizes) around town and highway, pretty much a 50/50 split saw a drop in 100kms of economy ie 470kms for again pretty much 60ltrs of 95Ron Caltex.

Deduce from that that maybe a drive 100% round town means 370km per 60ltrs - "Crikey"!

And also light comes on at close to 60lts used - Are these things 65lt or 68lt tanks?

Thought I'd add my readings.

"Safe Boating",

Mike.

grab yourself a new oxygen sensor and it should help out a bit, the sensors only have a limited lifespan and rarely get replaced in japland

i also run 95 in my stagea due to the exorbitant price of 98 in tas but it does lack a bit of power compared with 98 and i get slightly less fuel consumption with it too (the ecu will run more timing on 98 = better fuel economy)

no one makes an aftermarket o2 sensor for the s2 stageas (rb25 neo same as r34 gtt) so its either stock nissan one for about $250 or get one for a s1, r33 gts-25t, n15 sss pulsar and cut and re-crimp the wiring using your old plug

Pipster11 thanks for the comments.

I have read all the comments on fuel economy in this and other threads, "helpfull info - thanks everyone" (O2 sensor change duly noted).

The 570kms that I got, all be it highway run, seems to be quite good when compared - so I am more than happy with it. Had a bit of weight (4 x 19x8.5 with tyres) in the back aswell.

It's daily route will be 85% highway 15% town - hoping for at least 500ks a tank normal driving.

Cheers.