SAU Community

Stagea Fuel Economy

RUS

Im looking at getting a M35 stagea as soon as I find a nice one at the auctions. If i can get 13lt/100km city and 10lt/100km highway I will be happy. After all my 180SX with 270rwkw gets mid 12lt/100 city and mid 9lt/100km highway after a lot of work by my mate tuning it correctly.

Just filled up. Got 12.3 litres per 100km. Not too bad I guess?

Filled up with that 100 RON from United Petrol Station on Torrens Rd, Pennington (SA), anyone else used that?

I use the 100RON, seems ok, not sure if the economy is worsened though, ethanol is supposed to have worse fuel consumption.

If only we had e85 easily accessible here...

I received an email campaign about petrol prices.

To cut the story short here is the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from BP, the biggest price-up driver company.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

Going back to the topic I get around 13L per 100km (got the dump and front pipe done but did not see any improvement in fuel economy.... If you are just doing the dump pipe looking for better fuel efficiency I would not recommend the move)

Sorry for the message but I guess it's worth trying it.... I'll be doing my share....

Where do you get the e85 from and do you have any mods on your car?

Im looking at getting a M35 for a work car but are a bit concerned about the fuel economy

ive done alot of mods.

suction pipe stage two sierra turbo dump back zorst 610 cc injectors fuel pump etc...

pushing 285awkw and 900nm

im in melbourne and can put e85 at mainly springvale road and blackburn road..

i get about 350-400km out of a tank dependant on how i drive..

if your after economy, best things are the dump and filter for starters!

if you were to keep it stock it looks like others are getting 600kms +

ive done alot of mods.

suction pipe stage two sierra turbo dump back zorst 610 cc injectors fuel pump etc...

pushing 285awkw and 900nm

im in melbourne and can put e85 at mainly springvale road and blackburn road..

i get about 350-400km out of a tank dependant on how i drive..

if your after economy, best things are the dump and filter for starters!

if you were to keep it stock it looks like others are getting 600kms +

I wouldn't believe in that 900nm figure too much. Power and torque are relative to a point. I think you would have around 5-600nm max with that power level.

I wouldn't believe in that 900nm figure too much. Power and torque are relative to a point. I think you would have around 5-600nm max with that power level.

900nm tractive effort...you'll never know the real torque figures unless you pay $$$ to get that figure...

Where do you get the e85 from and do you have any mods on your car?

Im looking at getting a M35 for a work car but are a bit concerned about the fuel economy

Dude, if you're worried about Economy, don't think about E85. Your economy will be WORSE. E85 is for power...

If you're really concerned about economy don't get an M35...unless you do most of your driving on the freeway.

I received an email campaign about petrol prices.

To cut the story short here is the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from BP, the biggest price-up driver company.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

Going back to the topic I get around 13L per 100km (got the dump and front pipe done but did not see any improvement in fuel economy.... If you are just doing the dump pipe looking for better fuel efficiency I would not recommend the move)

Sorry for the message but I guess it's worth trying it.... I'll be doing my share....

Those emails has been going around for years. Not gonna work...

900nm tractive effort...you'll never know the real torque figures unless you pay $$ to get that figure...

the dynamometer measures the torque that is applied to the drum by the wheel, which is applied by way of a longitudinal, frictional force between the wheel and the drum. That longitudinal force can be found by dividing the measured drum torque by the drum's radius. The rear wheel torque can then be found by multiplying the longitudinal force by the wheel's radius. Of course, the longitudinal force is not usually of interest unless perhaps you wish to calculate the theoretical acceleration of your vehicle. To get the rear wheel torque more directly, you divide the drum torque by the drum radius and multiply by the wheel radius. To convert the rear wheel torque to engine torque, you divide the rear wheel torque by the overall reduction ratio. The overall reduction ratio is found by multiplying together the primary reduction ratio between the crankshaft and the transmission's input shaft, the final reduction ratio between the transmission's output shaft and the rear wheel, and the transmission ratio that depends on the specific gear that was used during the dynamometer run.

Source: http://wotid.com/dyno/content/view/18/37/

So as I understand it - if you know all the numbers - you can calculate 'true' torque without running at dyno off directly off the engine; cheaper.. but needs moar braincells :pirate:

I compared my torque figure of over 1000nm to a 300kw 2j supra being tuned the same day, it put out 850 on 98. Ethanol is the key to the gains as I would have only made around 700nm on 98 I would say. Whatever the number means, it certainly pulled like a freight train, even in 5th.

I try not to comment for fear of sounding like a douche! so be kind!unsure.gif

I drive an 03 M35. My leaf thingy tells me I'm getting 7.5 km / litre which I think equates to 600 km out of my 80L tank (or 13.3L/100km) . However in reality I am consistently getting only 450 km's out of a tank which is more like 5.7 km / litre or 17.5L/100km.

I use my car for work and do 80 -100 km a day so it is adding up quickly. In reading this thread it seams like there is a massive difference in the economy that the relatively un-modded M35's are achieving. Besides checking my tank for holes can anyone offer any insight into the discrepancy between my trip computer and actual L/100km, and can anyone make any suggestions on modifications to improve my economy aside from the weight of my right foot?

Any help appreciated.

lol

I compared my torque figure of over 1000nm to a 300kw 2j supra being tuned the same day, it put out 850 on 98. Ethanol is the key to the gains as I would have only made around 700nm on 98 I would say. Whatever the number means, it certainly pulled like a freight train, even in 5th.

That is a roller fiqure not calculated back to the flywheel When my 180 was running e85 it made 275rwkw on 17psi and had 520nm at the flywheel.

But as you said it pulls like a freight train in 5th and that's the main thing.

Also I was lucky to get 280km from 55 lt using e85.