SAU Community

Stagea Fuel Economy

RUS

All things being equal your engine will be more efficient so better economy but in my experience if there is more perfromance available people (like me) will translate that extra efficiency into more speed rather than better economy!!

How true, luckily for me it's the missus that uses the car for 80% of the time!

Went for a 3200km Drive on the Easter Break with the old folks, So gave the car a pretty good test

Melb->Eden, mostly Highway and some hills = 9.1L per 100km on 98

Eden->Hay, Up & Down the Snowy mountians & Highway = 10.5L per 100km on 95

Hay->Adelaide, all flat Highway = 9.5L per 100km on 95

Adelaide->Melb, fully loaded with heayy crap = 9.7L per 100km on 98

Quite happy with the results, especially the mountian pass thought i would have burned a lot more fuel on that

Normally round town i'm anywhere from 11.8-16.9L depending on my mood,

have a tendancy to enjoy burning fuel for no good reason :D only to get to the next set of lights pinch.gif

Best i've done so far is 8.6L down to Queenscliff (just me and work tools)

Did notice that the Fuel light had 10L in the tank on the highway driving, but normally has 15L left on the heavy right foot driving

Maybe its linked in with the trip computer data aswell as liquid level, could explain why people notice the Gauge level fluctuate a bit

When you're not repeatedly winding those 1800kgs up from a standstill, they do quite well.

Edited by Daleo

Last tank I got 300km from 50L (roughly 16L/100k).

Mixed driving, probably babied it the first quater and got 150km or so then it all went down hill as I came on boost more often.

It's a little better then what it was before I swapped the 02 sensor, was hoping for a tad more though.

I did 1000km around Northland in NZ back in January with four adults and luggage. Took 5 days and covered mainly non-highway roads ie hilly and twisty. Average fuel consumption was 10l/100km. That was what the trip computer read and was confirmed at the pump. Was reasonably happy with that given the roads and stop/start nature of the driving as we were touring around and stopping at all the touristy spots. Was also warm and wet due to the tail end of that cyclone hitting Northland over that weekend so had the aircon most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh well guess I'll chime in and report an average of 11L per 100km, been right thru this thing making sure everthing is set & clean as it should be, new oxy sensor this week and seen a very subtle reduction. Just how one of these things roll, all bog stock, except for removal of cat and I've bypassed secondary boost to keep it down to 4-5psi - I'm running less than 98ron, no pings nor knocks, happy Nissan motor.

When I got my wagon I thought surely it can't use as much gas as my old Isuzu 2.6L carburated petrol pickup. Yep it does despite pushing less air, fuel injection etc... but yeah put your foot into it & there's the reason, ya have to pay to have that kind of potential lurking under the hood. Then there's the awd, auto & weight thing.

I'm just going to accept what Nissan has created and trust in the hundreds of dyno hours it took to develop, no piggyback control etc... gonna pour in that gas and enjoy the 700km ride I do every week till the end...

I have a very stable kind of driving style - it's my age, pinned at 100km/h, short burst passed a truck & trailer, back in line again, hate speeding tickets, dudes passing me in company 4wd utes & hiace vans burning up that company fuel like no tomorow. Don't care really just love the feel of this car cruising along and that sweet music that erupts from up front on those occasions when ya plant it.

I did a trip up to Perisher on the weekend to check out the early snow. So from the Belconnen area in Canberra up to Perisher and back again with 2 adults and 2 kids I averaged 10.6L/100km in my 2002 M35.

You could definitely tell the difference when the engine was under load. It drank the first 1/4 of a tank to get to Jindabyne and then another 1/8 of a tank just to get from there up the mountain to Perisher.

Without the family in the car I reckon I would have used a whole lot more fuel however.. Sure the car would have been lighter but I would have had a heavier foot in the car by myself.

It would be 5 1/2 to 6 hours each way... Go to Canberra down the freeway, then head to Cooma, then to Jindabyne and you're practically there.

Good thing about having a Stagea is that all wheel drive cars dont HAVE to have snow chains onboard :)

Entry into the national park is about $18/day for a car. You can buy these passes at the Jindabyne tourist information centre or at the entry into the park. There's free parking at the slopes and a good mini mall that has places to buy food, hire equipment, etc... but if you just want to dick around in the snow put on lots of warm layers, a good windbraker and waterproof gloves and shoes :) Oh yeah... take a change of socks and an extra pair of shoes. They WILL get wet and cold and you will be miserable on the way home if you dont.

I still can't get better than 11.8 l/100km. This was my last tank which included a trip to Monarto and a trip to Victor Harbour (about 300-400km of highway).

I wish I could get 10!

Maybe ARX will get worse economy because it is heavier and runs higher PSI?

It would be 5 1/2 to 6 hours each way... Go to Canberra down the freeway, then head to Cooma, then to Jindabyne and you're practically there.

Good thing about having a Stagea is that all wheel drive cars dont HAVE to have snow chains onboard :)

Entry into the national park is about $18/day for a car. You can buy these passes at the Jindabyne tourist information centre or at the entry into the park. There's free parking at the slopes and a good mini mall that has places to buy food, hire equipment, etc... but if you just want to dick around in the snow put on lots of warm layers, a good windbraker and waterproof gloves and shoes :) Oh yeah... take a change of socks and an extra pair of shoes. They WILL get wet and cold and you will be miserable on the way home if you dont.

thanks for the info :)

i might take a trip there one weekend in the winter when the snow is thick

I average 10.5-10.8 city and country. Never seems to go over that unless I'm alone in the car..

Got a 9.0 flat from Canberra to Sydney a few times, really

Banting though and not downshifting on the hills...

P.s - PhoenixPup, I'm based in Canberra too, southside

Sean

On the economy front I don't really have any impressive stats to post, best I get is probably around 13l per 100km because I do alot of short trips and traffic, but what I will add is that I've had a large improvement since installing an apexi safc 2, have it set up to really lean me off when on low throttle and it works great very pleased with it and would recommend to anyone who is running a bit to rich.

On the topic of snow forget Australia it's ludicrously expensive and crap compared to elsewhere, give NZ a go MUCH better and seriously about the same price ;)