SAU Community

R33: (gts-t) Series 1 And 2 Differences

PranK

Only the very late Skyline Series 2 models had the CAS (crank angle sensor) of the next to come R34.

(identified by the black back plastic cover)

These CAS only matched the slotted camshafts, which were different from Series 1 and early Series 2 (mid 1997 or so)

So early Series 2 and Series 1 should have the same camshaft ....

Yes I have the black CAS on my 40th anniversary.

I'm assuming this means that these late S2's must have the cams from the NEO engine then....or at least on the 'zaust side. Are they the same profile? I assume so but don't know?

The 40th anniversary edition also has special badges on the outer B pillar and badges on the seats.

I've also heard that Kozo Watanabe himself cast the special badges from the melted down samurai swords of ancient samurai warriors, and that each car was blessed by a Shinto Priest as it left the production line?

Hmmm ... dunno ..

Do the Neo cams plug into the RB25DET head?

The Neo has solid lifters though ..

Yes I have the black CAS on my 40th anniversary.

I'm assuming this means that these late S2's must have the cams from the NEO engine then....or at least on the 'zaust side. Are they the same profile? I assume so but don't know?

Hmmm ... dunno ..

Do the Neo cams plug into the RB25DET head?

The Neo has solid lifters though ..

It would mean that Nissan would have had to machine a special 'zaust cam for the S2 GTST to accept the black (Neo) CAS.

Why the hell do that when they could just have used the normal CAS on the normal cam?

I've never opened the head yet, it might have neo lifters for all I know. Not many cars had the black CAS.

Edited by Tony de Wonderful

Are you sure, i thought S1's didnt have an airbag option and S1.5's came with drivers side standard and passenger as an option and S2 had both standard?

Yeah i have a 94 series one with both drivers and passenger airbags, id love to find the history of the car

• 3 months later...

SkylineGold.jpg

What's this with red or silver badges on the front?...my 95 turbo coupe has a gold badge on black mesh below the bonnet.

I also have a Series 2 Motor!

Edited by stewart1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys does anyone knows If there is any difference between s1 and s2 gbox? And is there any way to tell which one is s1 and which one is s2?? Need answer asap so if anyone knows just send me a message on 0415440332 :) thanks in advance

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've also heard that Kozo Watanabe himself cast the special badges from the melted down samurai swords of ancient samurai warriors, and that each car was blessed by a Shinto Priest as it left the production line?

Only if ancient Samurai warriors used plastic swords lol.

Yeah i have a 94 series one with both drivers and passenger airbags, id love to find the history of the car

Not too sure on this one but it must have been an option. I have an S1 dash out of a 94 model and looking at the back it has all the mounting points and the outline for where the passenger airbag goes.

What's this with red or silver badges on the front?...my 95 turbo coupe has a gold badge on black mesh below the bonnet.

Gold badges were a tick the box option. All badges could be optioned in gold separately. Bonnet badges, boot badges, GT badges, Navan badges etc.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Q; What is the difference between a series 1 and series 2 R33 Gtst?

A; There are several differences...

• Mechanical differences include an updated ECU and a ceramic turbo.

whats the difference in the turbos?

cheers

• 1 month later...

I've forgotten a lot of my r33 info over the years but I do know that the series 2 compressor is ceramic as opposed to metal. I think the sizes are the same though.

i thought the s2 ran a ceramic turbine and a high temp nylon compressor wheel. S1 is alloy.

• 1 year later...