SAU Community

What Happens When...

CDA

Hello all,

see i've done my searching, and all i've read is that you have to either enclose the pod or put back the stock air box.

my question is however, when you get defected... do you get fined anything? like for example, a pod that is not enclosed gets defected.. will the owner have to pay anyone anything or simply just remove the pod?

and one more thing, what's better, a K&N panel filter or an Apexi lol, and if i get one of these for example, it will be inside my stock air box so if a cop checked under the bonnet they wouldn't notice anything right? and hence i wont get defected right?

sorry for what some may think are dumb questions, but i really need some answers lawl

Thanks

Mate, i just finished clearing up my problem, I was done recently for a pod with a heat shield as my stock box wont fit over my intercooler piping, was told by the EPA officer he was going to take some shots then the head office will decide what to do as it was not "fully" enclosed.

Month later got the letter in the mail, $200 fine, and inspection needed by approved DECC officer, meaning it had to be done right,Source and refit old intercooler pipes, old box. but the wierd part is the mechanic told me over the phone i was going to have to do a noise test and emmissions test as these were affected by the air filter. My car was engineered for everything else so luckily didnt end up needing to do that( also as i passed the noise test at the pits thanks to EVC) but not sure what the exact process is they follow. Oh Inspection cost $40 at Archers in Granville, spoke to Craig a few times he was a top bloke helped me clear it.

Was told simply enclosing the pod 99% of the time will not pass if it is an EPA formal inspection as they dont pass or fail them, they only take photos and send them to EPA to decide, youre best off replacing the stocker and if you want to keep the pod in, get a custom fitted box for the pod made up like i am after you clear it.

The stock replacement panels for the standard air filter wont be a defect.

Edited by T187

HOLY SHIT! that means i could get fined up to $200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my gawd!

and you say "The stock replacement panels for the standard air filter wont be a defect." by that do you mean a high flow Apexi panel filter will be all good? plus do you noe which is better... K&N or Apexi.

Thanks!

Yea the panel will be fine, I mean if you want to talk legally any change affecting emissions needs to be engineered, but ive never heard of anybody being done for an upgraded panel filter so dont worry about it, the officer who looked at my car didnt even open up the box just had a quick look. the old "factory option/thats how i bought it" provides a bit of leniancy for those problems if it ever rises.

Sorry not sure which is better, ive got the Apexi panel and power intake pod if that helps ;)

Al

Edited by T187

haha it helps. but soz if im being a noob, but how can u have both? as in u own both? or have them both under the hood at the same time!?

thanks

p.s. by both i mean the power intake pod and the panel filter

Edited by CDA

so i'm assuming you've used both before, what gives you better performance? and what do you use at present? soz for asking soo many q's i jus wanna get everything right ;)

well actually ive always used the pod as the box wont fit the larger piping, i have the box on now though thats also with the standard piping so thats less flow, and with the boost turned off, and with my HKS ecu unplugged, so i really cant compare them as you can tell theres a huge difference. I only ever tried playing with it a bit with my car all tuned and set once, and within 10 minutes one of the intercooler pipe hoses popped off from the pressure so never again...

But without an effecive heat shield and some sort of CAI theres no point in using a pod.

That would be painful if done by the epa. However when i got done for pod recently i had to get full inspection blue slip, pain in the arse if you have other things that the cops don't pick up on

did you have to pay a fine? coz if you did i reckon theres no point in a pod whatsoever

I had a fully enclosed pox but still got pinged for it.. $50 to be sorted by a mechanic.. I carry the paper around in the car now when cops get a little touchy about it.

did you have to pay a fine? coz if you did i reckon theres no point in a pod whatsoever

No fine but the blue slip costs $50.30. Just enclose it, saves worrying about it. But they will always find something else if they want to be a pain

enclose it in a cone shaped enclosure or something more inconspicuous like the stock air box (is that possible?)

and ignuz sez: "I carry the paper around in the car now when cops get a little touchy about it" - that means you can flash that at a cop and they can't defect jack?

enclose it in a cone shaped enclosure or something more inconspicuous like the stock air box (is that possible?)

and ignuz sez: "I carry the paper around in the car now when cops get a little touchy about it" - that means you can flash that at a cop and they can't defect jack?

I'm sure you could somehow use the stock box, however there are numourous threads around about custom building boxes and there was a group buy a little while ago too. I have one that the old owner of my car had made from some metal just makes it looks all closed off.

Then to make it close to bullet proof get it engineered. Pricey but saves hassle later on

Oh they can if they want to raise some revenue or if I give them attitude.. But 99 times out of 100 they will look at it and say no worries..

I got done for mine by HWP last December

No fines, just had to pay for blueslip, who then demanded I have it engd, so it ended up costing me $350 (And that was a VERY discounted eng cert)

My engineer was in a happy mood, so yeah, cheap prices on eng cert.

A mate got done around 3 months ago in his R33 for a pod filter by HWP, and he copped a $70 fine.

It's up to who ever is issuing the defect notice whether they do or don't fine you, and how much it costs.

just a thought here

wouldn't the big 'ol metal clamped filters that are exposed to the engine bay that people fit on top on carby powered V8s be in the same boat 'flamability' wise as pod filters? hmmm...

Yea plus you cant rely on the cleared EPA notice, as my one clearly states it is not to be produced or shown to police when checking the car after it has been cleared...

simply, its gains vs costs, if you dont need it get rid of it,