SAU Community

JJR Coil Packs Vs Oem Vs Splitfire Vs Other

Ive heard stories of the red ones melting before. not sure if they were JJR or Super Spark though? (I guess theyre both probably from the same factory anyway)?

Anyone else here used the yellow jackets or is it just me? Mine are still going strong. It'd be good to see them pitted up against JJR & Super Sparks for a final showdown. lol.

I'm running SuperSparks in the R33GTST for 266 rwkw at 1.1 bar without any problems. The standard coils were blowing out on the dyno at anything over 0.8 bar. That was the best 6 standard coils I could find out of the 20 or so that I had lying around. I have Splitfires in the R32GTST but it also has a HKS Twin Spark. Unfortunately I can't swap coils between the R32GTST and the R33GTST because the R33GTST is a series 1.5 and has the ignitors built into the coils.

Based on my experience with SuperSpark and Splitfire I really don't think there is any advantage in spending the extra money on the blue ones. Plus JustImportParts were great to deal with and delivery was overnight.

Cheers

Gary

Do you have a reason? Different design, higher output, or do you just like the colour?

+1

running jjr's here and no problems at all now.

had one fail within days of going in but JJR replaced it without hassle and very compensative.

So as long as they go on for long time im happy. with the money i saved i now have a full sick BOV too hahaha :laugh:

Edited by STYLN

Well after talking to the owner of Super Spark, i've ordered a set. Will be interesting to see how they go :D will post up results after they are in. Currently it's breaking down over 5500rpm... occasionally :S it's rather odd. Upon inspection 5 out of my 6 coils are cracked in the usual place. So we'll see how the super sparks go, car is completely stock and made 164hp@ wheels and at 6 1/2 psi(thats all it would boost to). results soon !

got my supersparks in! Product came within 1 day of ordering! installation was a breeze, and have definately lessend my misfire issue. The problem ive been having is a missfire at about 5300rpm (only slight now the coilpacks of really really brought doen the miss), but it only happens untill teh cars been running for abotu 15mins(over 15mins and its fine). Im extremely befuddled to tell the truth. have installed new fuel filter, cleaned AFM. thinking maybe injectors? Its consistantly at the same spot in the rev rage every time, but goes away after the cars been running for about 15mins :S

OT - superspark seems so far to be a great product!

Update - Had 2 cracked spark plugs, SUPERSPARK's are running perfectly so far. Drifted for 7 hours yesturday and didnt misfire even once! So far so good and well priced!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've ordered a set of the JJR's and expect to receive them and install them on Monday/Tuesday. Hope they work well. It's a hassle waiting for stuff to come from Sydney to Perth, let alone have to do it over again if any need to be replaced under warranty... argh, paranoid.

Cos there's no guarantee that Splitfires won't stuff up either, and I've been told that the JJR's come with a 12 month replacement warranty (unlike the Splitfires). Overall in reading most of the 'coilpack' threads on this forum, it's down to chance that you get a faulty set or if/when the coilpacks are faulty. There's good and bad experiences from all camps. Then there's price difference ($200+ nowadays given the $AUS) and availabilty yadda yadda...

Heres some stats......

Splitfire - 12 month warranty - $630+/set + post

Yellow Jackets - 12 month warranty - $350/set + post

JJR - 12 month warranty - $400/set + post

Super Spark - 2-6 month warranty? - $500/set

I also searched the coil packs threads and havent heard of any bad experiences on the Yellow jackets at all.

Edited by d_liberate

I was only considering two types, Splitfire or JJR. And I was told by JJR last week that Splitfire offer NO backup warranty in comparison to the 12 month warranty backup that JJR provide on their JJR coilpacks.

Seems odd and not inline to what you've posted above...?

I've asked them to re-clarify.