SAU Community

JJR Coil Packs Vs Oem Vs Splitfire Vs Other

my splitifire failed me just after 12 months..........................................................................

NOW I NEED A NEW ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gawd damn!

• 2 months later...

Any update on this topic?

Splitfires are $600+ these days... JJRs are going for $400 - that's a huge difference in price!

The 12 month warranty is great but the JJRs have been around for nearly 2 years now - any complaints?

The coil packs all seem to perform the same (at least at low-mid power applications) so I suppose it's down to reliability and (of course) price...

Need to replace mine bad :wacko:

Edited by Checkbuzz

i put in a set of JJR coil packs, and when i pulled my standard ones out they appeared to be fine. However, within 5 minutes of having the JJR ones in the car died, and wouldnt restart. I changed the coils back over and it still wouldnt start. I found a blown fuse and changed it over, car ran and ran fine, and no fuses blew. Seeing as my standard coil packs seemed to be in perfect condition, my friend offered to buy the JJR's off me if i wasnt going to use them. As i packed them back into the box they came in, i noticed this weird piece of plastic hanging off one of the coils. On closer inspection i saw that one of the coils had actually "popped" and this plastic had oozed out of it and hardened, obviously the reason for the fuse blow. Since ive had the standard coils back in i have had NO problems, but i am yet to have time to return the JJR coils because ive been working 6 days a week.....also i should note that one of the JJR coil packs came WITHOUT a spring inside it, so i had to use one out of my original coils, however this was not the one that "popped"....thats my feedback hope it helps....

Mine have failed again and I can promise you it is the coils. That's twice within 6 months and under the 12 month 'warranty'. Will be extremely interesting seeing how JustJap react this time when I ask for a full refund... Oh Cl11QE, same problem here, the spring just fell out of mine the day I was installing them :P

Suppose you get what you pay for.

after coating my coils in silicon, the miss fire is still there....my car is running NGK iridium plugs which are around 70,000kms old....im gona replace these with fresh plugs and see how it goes, it that doesnt fix the problem i'l be needing new coilpacks, after havin a browse through here i'l be gettin the JJR coilpacks (plus justjap is 2 mins away from me)

just running 10psi with stage one mods....i hope they will do the job...oh and good price compares to splitfires :D

i got JJR coils in my r33...making 250rwkw and now planning for the 300rwkw mark...sooo will see if they can continue putting out...so far so good though.... :P lasting time so far is about 6 months and still strong

hmm...

Made in China

or

Made in Japan

I didnt buy a skyline to save money, so i can tell you which one i will be going for.

Anyone heard of "Yellow Jackets"? anyone using them?

They're at $350 on ebay, never seen em elsewhere...

Im running a set of these in my S1 R33 GTST. They fit perfect and run perfect. Fixed my misfire issue straight away aswell. They have never missed a beat in around 3 months now. I think they come with a 6 month warranty aswell. There is a group buy for these on SAU now and I think they are around $320?

hmm...

Made in China

or

Made in Japan

I didnt buy a skyline to save money, so i can tell you which one i will be going for.

How do you know that the made in japan ones aren't coming from a factory in china, or taiwan, or outer beyond siberia by enslaved eskimos? Global economies now... :P

I am old enough to remember when to have something labeled made in japan, it was the same as now having made in china..

Go by results not cost, so anyone else with any other results please keep posting up there findings.

How do you know that the made in japan ones aren't coming from a factory in china, or taiwan, or outer beyond siberia by enslaved eskimos? Global economies now... :P

I am old enough to remember when to have something labeled made in japan, it was the same as now having made in china..

Go by results not cost, so anyone else with any other results please keep posting up there findings.

Splitfires are reputable brand and i have trust in the company that they are indeed made in japan. That goes the same with any jap brand or product like HKS, Apexi etc etc. They are proven to work and be effective numerous times in many different applications, which is why i dont mind to pay extra money for them. My motto when it comes to my car is: Do it once, Do it right. Unlike JJR and other brands which people are still wondering how good they are; they have yet to prove themselves.

In the end it comes down to "You get what you pay for". Even though splitfires are a bit overpriced atm with the aussie dollar its still worth it as your paying for a proven product and not left wondering "Well they still be working in 2 months time?"

If any of u guys want to buy JJR or other brands thats totally up to you. This is only my opinion. Id rather save up longer and buy quality parts because thats just how i like to modify my cars.

i have had splitfires and jjr coilpacks in my 33 with 250rwkw couldent tell the diffrence and jjr's bein 200 cheaper alot better option, had them on a year now still goin strong.

• 4 weeks later...

interested to hear more from people who have had ignition break down at over 5500rpm or so, with the JJR coil packs now fitted? has it fixed your problem? 5 out of my 6 coilpacks have cracks in them, but i have since nail polished and taped them, but still seem to break down a bit. i think i may just upgrade and see if it fixes it? good idea?

Being new to this whole skyline thing, i am surprised to see coil packs failing. I have never heard many cases of these failing in a 300zx at all :ermm: . Can anyone please enlighten me as to why? (thank god my gtr has splitfires)

My mate has ordered a set of JJR's for his S1 r33 gts-t after one of his splitfires caught on fire. He currently has the stock ones in atm and it's missing like a mad flamin mongrel. Will let you know how he goes with these compared to the splitfires and if it fixes his missing etc

Great to hear from people who have actually used the product, rather than the usual splitfire rules JDM over china. The way the world economy is, its hard to know where most products are now actually made/assembled. the 12 month warrenty of jjr is enticing to be honest, and the low price, particularly seeing as i wont be chasing any more than about 250 wheels hp :ermm:. anyone had any experience with Super Spark?