SAU Community

Best Car Racing Simulator Games

Dean_HR31

yeh the hyperdrive one looks really basic. ive got a spare bucket seat so i jsut want some ideas and time to get around to building the thing

there is a place i was looking at that makes the full cockpit but it was like $1000 and i couldnt justify paying that, although admittedly it comes with the g25 steering wheel.

hahaha looks good! man that is so close to the screen. is that how you play it??

yeh cant wait for some pics!

Yeah mate, it's an LCD so it's no different to sitting right in front of your PC monitor :D

Closer is good too, really helps emmersify you in teh game.

I can also get a seat but don't know if I have the skills to build something good... when I can pickup the hyperdrive unit for $200, hmm.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

live for speed is awesome!! it's the most realistic game out there... it's free to download the demo version, gives you 3 cars and 2 tracks. you can tune and setup your cars and it takes skill and practise to be able to drift and drive well!

XBOX 360 no question

If you do some research you will see that all platform games look and run better on xbox 360 rather than ps3, the selection of games is much higher. There are lots of AAA titles that will never see a ps3, there are very few AAA titles on ps3 that xbox 369 doesn't have. I own a xbox 360 my brother owns a ps2 we live together. He has GT5 good game (simulation) great graphics. It has a lot of flaws though.

Blu ray is at the moment a very good reason to buy a ps3 if you want one, but xbox 360 will have a blu ray drive in a few months due to hd-dvd failing. Value for money xbox 360 still on top.

Xbox 360 controllers are just the best

Xbox live kick ass

You say you want a sim? Those platforms are just arcade junk and cannot compare in any way with a decent PC with a race simulator.

Get a decent monitor, I use an 80cm LCD. Decent steering wheel, Logitech G25 force feedback. build your own cockpit if you have the room. Of course you will have to spend some bucks on a decent box to run it.

You can then tweak, adjust and add tracks, cars and physics to your hearts content and race online in some awesome leagues.

Or you can buy a toy and enjoy mindless unrealistic boring rubbish, but you'll feel like a champion because the physics are designed to be self gratifying.

My preferred sims in order of greatness

GP Legends

GTR2

GTR

Live for Speed

RFactor

Note there are no platform games there.......they are not simulations.

^ Agreed.

A lot of people think GT5 etc is a simulation... and honestly, it does get much closer than the previous varients do :thumbsup: The old ones were arcade based, this one goes much closer to being a simuation (with the physiscs set to "pro").

I agree with all those other games... I can never get into GP Legends personally even though I know it's a brilliant game.

Edited by TommO

I will get a PS3 when the full version ot GT comes out. Until then im sticking with forza and the 360. You can drift in it but it doesnt have dedicated drift events, all i ever do now is drift.

Is it true about blu ray drive coming for 360?

Is GTR2 or anything similar ever going to come out on the PS3?????????

I've seen clips on youtube and that game looks unbelievable!

whats all this fuss about live for speed!?? I remember playing that on my PC a couple of years ago... isnt it like a little demo game with car physics that help u slide a car around very easily with very dated graphics...?? Or have there been newer additions since..???

Only realistic part of that game i saw was the clutch it had!??

LFS has had a number of improvements to the physics. Plus online there are always heaps of drift sessions for those who can't drive properly or have difficulty finding joy in the perfect fast lap. It really is quite good now, consider it was written by 3 guys on their own that have continued improving.

Drifting on a platform arcade game is like hitting on your retarded sister. Probably feels really good at the time, but later on when you discover the real thing you realise it was completely wrong and you were just taking advantage of something that didn't know any better.

I didn't realise the amount of n00bs around, thinking GT5 is even close to a simulator lol.

YOU WON'T GET A SIMULATOR ON A CONSOLE FULL STOP.

The GTR that's coming out isn't a simulator simply because you can't modify the cars, nearly at all - let alone to the point you can on PC.

Don't waste your money on a console, if you want a really good sim racing experience.

You will NEVER be able to race a full Talladega event on a console, with 43 other online REAL human opponents, racing a FULL 100% race, with full race rules/flags etc. on a console EVER.

I hope all the peeps recommending ARCADE games like NFS, Juiced, GT etc. STICK to racing those games on the consoles, because you would only ruin the awesome experience you have online with the PC simulators.

And I'm talking about Nascar 2003 (which was out in 2002) here which is STILL one of the best and most realistic racing games available.

Live For Speed, negative comments will only be coming from those who tried to run it, and play it using a keyboard or controller, because once you play that game with a good steering wheel/pedal setup, you don't need ANY other game to be satisfied.

And no GTRII/GPL/GTL/rFactor will NEVER come out on console (and thank god for that).

They can't make enough money to bother, as not enough people will enjoy it, as the console owners will be annoyed that the game is too hard to play with a DualShock 2 (lmao) and complain it's not realistic enough, because of that fact, that they can't play it on there controller lol.

Look up some of the OMR rFactor videos on YouTube, especially the clipsal Adelaide 500 featuring the V8 Supercars mod for rFactor, nothing comes closer to realism than either watching the real deal on telly, or being there and driving it.

Not just that, the Porsche Carrera Cup mod for rFactor, could be a game on it's own it's that good. Extremely realistic, if not one of the best mods EVER made. Race in a real online league in that, and you will literally throw your PS3 + GT5P out the window, I'll video tape it if you want too.

THE ONLY THING REQUIRED ON PC, and the only thing that keeps the shitty GT series on PS going, is the fact that you can drive and modify everyday cars. That's all the PC needs, a game "LIKE" GT5 in the fact that it's everyday cars that you can buy and modify only with actual realism and physics, rather than the arcade gheyness of Gran Turismo.

And yes, already some people that actually have a clue, have mentioned the best/better racing games you can get, and they are all PC exclusive, obviously.

Live for Speed

GPL (unbeleivable, if your a true race fan, you will get into this and probably enjoy it more than any other!)

GT Legends - absolutely wicked, all old school, all slide and ALL DRIVER, no bs traction control or anything, it's ALL REAL.

rFactor (probably the BEST choice, if you only want to buy one of these) unbeleivable amount of mods, and all top notch! unbeatable.

NASCAR 2003 (best version, NASCAR 4 is also good) STAY AWAY FROM THE SHITTY ELECTRONIC ARTS attempts.

GTRI-II

You can live off these games alone, if not even just ONE of them. As pretty much all have mod capabilities, and feature TC's Total Conversions. You can turn NASCAR into V8 Supercars, TRANS-AM Racing series, Euro Touring Card etc.

It's not worth going the PS3+GT5 route just for the G25, a Logitech MOMO is good enough, and that with a 360 and Forza 2 shits on anything PS has, just the way it is.

The Sony/GT fanboys won't agree though, they just keep hoping that it'll one day be improved to be up to scratch compared to what it is now.

It's a shame, because with the PS3's power, GT5 really COULD'VE (but won't) be an ultimate game.

I didn't realise the amount of n00bs around, thinking GT5 is even close to a simulator lol.

YOU WON'T GET A SIMULATOR ON A CONSOLE FULL STOP.

The GTR that's coming out isn't a simulator simply because you can't modify the cars, nearly at all - let alone to the point you can on PC.

Don't waste your money on a console, if you want a really good sim racing experience.

You will NEVER be able to race a full Talladega event on a console, with 43 other online REAL human opponents, racing a FULL 100% race, with full race rules/flags etc. on a console EVER.

I hope all the peeps recommending ARCADE games like NFS, Juiced, GT etc. STICK to racing those games on the consoles, because you would only ruin the awesome experience you have online with the PC simulators.

And I'm talking about Nascar 2003 (which was out in 2002) here which is STILL one of the best and most realistic racing games available.

Live For Speed, negative comments will only be coming from those who tried to run it, and play it using a keyboard or controller, because once you play that game with a good steering wheel/pedal setup, you don't need ANY other game to be satisfied.

And no GTRII/GPL/GTL/rFactor will NEVER come out on console (and thank god for that).

They can't make enough money to bother, as not enough people will enjoy it, as the console owners will be annoyed that the game is too hard to play with a DualShock 2 (lmao) and complain it's not realistic enough, because of that fact, that they can't play it on there controller lol.

Look up some of the OMR rFactor videos on YouTube, especially the clipsal Adelaide 500 featuring the V8 Supercars mod for rFactor, nothing comes closer to realism than either watching the real deal on telly, or being there and driving it.

Not just that, the Porsche Carrera Cup mod for rFactor, could be a game on it's own it's that good. Extremely realistic, if not one of the best mods EVER made. Race in a real online league in that, and you will literally throw your PS3 + GT5P out the window, I'll video tape it if you want too.

THE ONLY THING REQUIRED ON PC, and the only thing that keeps the shitty GT series on PS going, is the fact that you can drive and modify everyday cars. That's all the PC needs, a game "LIKE" GT5 in the fact that it's everyday cars that you can buy and modify only with actual realism and physics, rather than the arcade gheyness of Gran Turismo.

And yes, already some people that actually have a clue, have mentioned the best/better racing games you can get, and they are all PC exclusive, obviously.

Live for Speed

GPL (unbeleivable, if your a true race fan, you will get into this and probably enjoy it more than any other!)

GT Legends - absolutely wicked, all old school, all slide and ALL DRIVER, no bs traction control or anything, it's ALL REAL.

rFactor (probably the BEST choice, if you only want to buy one of these) unbeleivable amount of mods, and all top notch! unbeatable.

NASCAR 2003 (best version, NASCAR 4 is also good) STAY AWAY FROM THE SHITTY ELECTRONIC ARTS attempts.

GTRI-II

You can live off these games alone, if not even just ONE of them. As pretty much all have mod capabilities, and feature TC's Total Conversions. You can turn NASCAR into V8 Supercars, TRANS-AM Racing series, Euro Touring Card etc.

It's not worth going the PS3+GT5 route just for the G25, a Logitech MOMO is good enough, and that with a 360 and Forza 2 shits on anything PS has, just the way it is.

The Sony/GT fanboys won't agree though, they just keep hoping that it'll one day be improved to be up to scratch compared to what it is now.

It's a shame, because with the PS3's power, GT5 really COULD'VE (but won't) be an ultimate game.

i have to agree completly!!! wont ever beat PC games.

GT5 rules all

including ur shitty pc games

BAN??

I have a couple of the next gen simulators and the graphics are going to be able to match the PS3 easily with the more realistic physics ect. they should be hitting the shelves around 2010