SAU Community

Best Car Racing Simulator Games

Dean_HR31

I love going to the racetrack and watching the GranTurismo generation in their first session.

Almost guaranteed to have an off and tag a tyre barrier or a wall. Funnily enough their race lines are crap.

As for Race Driver (aka the V8SC series) they are another platform game ported to PC and are really very poor sims. Just more marketing hype and complete rubbish.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love going to the racetrack and watching the GranTurismo generation in their first session.

Almost guaranteed to have an off and tag a tyre barrier or a wall. Funnily enough their race lines are crap.

As for Race Driver (aka the V8SC series) they are another platform game ported to PC and are really very poor sims. Just more marketing hype and complete rubbish.

hahah awesome comment.. cept i was a GranTurismo generation who had my first session start of last year... and i really hate to disappoint u.. but because winton is such a technical track where power isnt a major player, my fairly modified shitty FWD track prepped Civic owned most cars there..

In fact the only cars which were faster than me were, a Formula ford/holden (3000?), Black Supra, track 180sx and a Series 1-3 track prepped RX7 (which later smashed he wasnt leaving me for dead like he hoped)

No wall bouncing or anything.. I was actually asked how many times i had been..should seen theyre faces when i said Never..

GT5 rules all ur shitty pc games. Atleast the Integra Type R handles the way it really does.. because it was the first car i drove JUST to see how well the game potrays its "simulation"

It handles almost like the real thing..

hahah awesome comment.. cept i was a GranTurismo generation who had my first session start of last year... and i really hate to disappoint u.. but because winton is such a technical track where power isnt a major player, my fairly modified shitty FWD track prepped Civic owned most cars there..

In fact the only cars which were faster than me were, a Formula ford/holden (3000?), Black Supra, track 180sx and a Series 1-3 track prepped RX7 (which later smashed he wasnt leaving me for dead like he hoped)

No wall bouncing or anything.. I was actually asked how many times i had been..should seen theyre faces when i said Never..

GT5 rules all ur shitty pc games. Atleast the Integra Type R handles the way it really does.. because it was the first car i drove JUST to see how well the game potrays its "simulation"

It handles almost like the real thing..

Go ahead and convince me. I've only been racing for 22 years and no console based game has ever been realistic enough for me.

And I guess your "track day" was one of those worthless fun days they have at Winton. How do your laptimes at Winton, PI, Sandown and Calder stack up? No room to hide in timed racing. Of course the fun days have no timing......

Time I think for an online SAU tournament.

here is the link. Let's race. Tournament du SAU

• 2 months later...

Bumblebee, and I've wondered how so many nice cars end up written off.... now I know.... "GT5 R THE BESTEST!!!!"

Mate youre either talking shit... or you havent even touched either of those PC games to compare, youve just got GT5 to go by.... if your such a track champion, your making yourself look mentally retarded with your GT5 comments :D

But I enjoy a good laugh, so Im not complaining :)

• 3 weeks later...

i think.. that the gt series were more based on street driven cars.. compared to the other pc games that are full race cars.. you get the idea? So.. in a nutshell people.. of course there going to be different. step back and look at it....

Secondly.. i feel that the gt series is probably the most simulator style race game on the consoles.. compared to the other arcade style games.. i dont know about pc.. i have a thumping games pc sitting next to me.. but dont like using it.. i prefer to run linux than windows.. :) .

Oh.. and i have a full cockpit setup as well. i have two wheels.. the driving force pro and the g25 wheel. ive still yet to build another cockpit for the g25. But basically its a 180sx seat with the driving force pro wheel, with a seperate gear leaver, handbrake, i have alpine bass engines in the seat, race harness, its a full wrap around cockpit like a normal car.. the next one with the g25 i will fibreglass it like an f1 car.. with my bride fixed seat i have lying around.

you cant get much more realistic than my setup.. when you finish playing.. you are shaking cause it feels so real.. i practise my drift with it when im not doing it at the track.

• 5 months later...

rFactor for me.

If you are in Victoria, make your way to Red Mist Racing - well worth the money.

They have rFactor linked with 10 car setups (monitor, pedals, F1-style cockpit & wheel).

The last time we went, I invited one of my mates who absolutely kills Forsa.

He ended up coming last in the first 2 races and was 40 secs of the leaders lap pace because he would either crash or play in the sand.

For all those who worship Gran Turismo, how can you call it the most realistic "simulation" when there is no vehicle damage? (Worn tires to not count a vehicle damage).

You want a challenge, Play rFactor with a full cockpit with all vehicle aids turned off on the 1972 (or is it 1976?) LeMan circuit with 2008 F1 cars.

THAT leaves you sweaty and shaking.

Everything else I have played (started playing driving games in 1984) on all formats simply pales in comparison.

For me, PC Racing games always gave that extra sense of realism

Gran Turismo did not have car damage mainly due to pressure from car companies not wanting to show their cars deform (yes I know Forza has damage but it's not super realistic), Polyphony want to try do it in GT5 we'll wait and see. Damage wise Race Driver GRID has it as if you slam the walll at 200 you are done (pending you don't use the flashback feature)

My Fav racing games (in no particular order)

1. Grand Prix Legends - so realistic (wild cars, no aero, h-gate gear boxes, raidal tyres that would last for forever, til this day I still can't finish a race (a great challenge is to complete a flying lap of the Nurburgring or Spa-Francorchamps in any of the 1967 GP cars)..It is still rated at one of the most realistic and most difficult games ever

2. rFactor - the amount of mods and extras is just awsome - iamhe77 - I have tried racing 2008 F1 Car on the LeMans Bugatti track and you think its nice and easy untill you need to brake at the end of the Mulsanne Straight into the Mulsanne Corner now that's scary (imagine full throttle going 375-380k/m on a 5km straight then braking hard to take a corner at 120 k/m

3. Live For Speed

4. Gran Turismo 4 & 5 (when it comes) - For the console generation - although it's a "simulator" and for some people the closet they will ever get to driving say an Aston Martin DB9 or R34 GT-R Nur, it's still good. I'm still to this day having head to head battles with couple of friends of mine on GT4 (my friend in his full kitted R32 GTS-T vs me in a fully kitted Stagea 260RS around Trial Mountain)

5. Forza 2 - High on customisation options (engine swaps are always fun) - does get boring at times due to lack of tracks

6. NASCAR Racing 2003 Season - The last ever to be may be Payprus/Sierra has the GPL Physics and gaming engine. really fun

7. GTR 2/GTR Evolution - High on mods and really good to play

Edited by BigDirtyJase

I would have to agree with you Daniel...Richard Burns Rally is a great rally game...very realistic...(if only there was more mods for it). Game was very underated due to the sheer difficulty (which reminds me I should reinstall it for a blast down memory lane)

It's just a shame that the Logitech MOMO Racing wheel or the G25 have a handbrake