SAU Community

V-spec Version Discussion And Speculation

But its a GTR, it will still do big ends.

But seriously on the matter of gearboxes, does anyone know the system in the Lambos/R8s etc? They are awd so woudl be itneresting to hear how they have put up with 2 years of use with the extra load on them from the AWD

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is a shame that as soon as tyre manufacturers start making semi slicks big enough for the R35 that ppl are going to have to remove the engine and install custom sumps with baffles, as new R35s spinning big end bearings isnt good for them . Great to see they are keeping the spinning bottom end history of the GTR alive

Hahahaha you are a funny unit Troy :blink:

Not sure on the wear on them but from reputable articles I've read on the Lambo E-gear suggests that you don't tick the option box if you intend on tracking it as it isn't the best bit of gear. I have read that they are improving it though....

A reasonable period of time?

The engineering world has been using it for almost as long as there has been GT-R's.

It is nothing new.

Since I am not an engineer or experienced with plasma coating, I am relegated to using evidence-based practice. So I did a search in using plasma coatings with an automotive application. The above excerpt from a research article was the closest I could come to how Nissan was using the technology.

This was the historical use of plasma coating in automotive.

The technology of plasma sprayed coating has been introduced in series production for very different types of engines:

- LUPO gasoline FSI 1.4 l of VW in 2000

- V 10 TDI diesel of VW in 2001

- Go-Kart racing engine four strokes in 2000

- Formula1 and Formula3 for racing in 1999

- Motorcycle engine in 2000

- Large volume I5, I6 diesel for VW in 2002

Additionally several prototypes of modern gasoline and diesel engines are now involved in long term testing. The test results have been confirmed in Europe and Japan by several engine manufacturers.

It's interesting that it took so long to be applied to the automotive industry as it appears to be a fairly inexpensive process.

• 2 weeks later...

So does v-spec still stand for "Victory Spec" in celebration of a JGTC championship win, as when the 32, 33 & 34gtrs won the championship, they bought out v-spec versions, just like when they bought out a nur spec...

the 35 hasn't won a championship as yet so, no v-spec 35 until it does...?

Porsche developed the DSG system for their race program in the 70's. Its old technology which was hounded by weight and size. VW/Audi honed that technology in the late 90's and made it production viable not long after the turn of the century. Nissan seem to be the first off the block to have a full running production version in a vehicle running decent torque through it. Interesting to see what transpires with its reliability once more power gets pushed through. Porsche have a dsg option on the 997 replacement.

LOL @ manual gearbox being boring to drive. Thats as naive as it gets, id suggest more time learning to drive on the limit before comments are made on a true driving experience. Electronic talent is the way of the future, but pure driver involvement is much more satisfying.

• 4 weeks later...

The V-Spec is due in December.

Nissan execs have also confirmed that the GT-R is an unprofitable model but the introduction of vehicles based on the same platform will help change that. In addition to the Spec V, the platform is expected to yield a model for Infiniti due for release in less than a year.

More information that a PM platform sedan or SUV is in the making. I hope they do, since a raft of cheaper cars with parts interchangable with the GT-R (which is sure to enjoy a healthy aftermarket) can only be a good thing for Nissan enthusiasts.

I just hope no-one slaps a GT-R badge onto their sedan as a result.

by unprofitable model are they referring to the TOTAL cost of the car, ie... the countless hours and $$ in R+D. As opposed to the profitability relative to one GTR unit?

Is there a difference? R&D is a cost of producing the car. Even if you make a margin on pure manufacturing costs, the company's bottom line still suffers if you can't make the volumes in car's lifecycle.

So does v-spec still stand for "Victory Spec" in celebration of a JGTC championship win, as when the 32, 33 & 34gtrs won the championship, they bought out v-spec versions, just like when they bought out a nur spec...

the 35 hasn't won a championship as yet so, no v-spec 35 until it does...?

Its just marketing.....

Creating a reason why you should spend an extra $20K....

Its also creating its own after market products before the rest do.

• 1 month later...

V-Spec details

Nissan’s new Nordeschliefe hopeful will be packing close to 390kWs, up around 35kWs, while torque jumps almost 15Nms peaking just shy of 600Nms. The fun doesn’t stop there either as the V-Spec will shed some 90kgs from its portly frame bringing kerb weight down under 1700kgs. The drop in weight is thanks largely to the use of lightweight body components, they’ve even gone as far as ditching the back seat and adding a roll cage. If earlier reports are accurate, we should expect to see new wheels and tyres with revised braking and suspension to round out the package.

Sweet.

The details many of these websites are publishing as fact are just month old rumours.

They're close to the real info stats wise but there's more to it that they are missing.

And it is most definitely not V-Spec. It is Spec-V I guess it's time to start getting used to it... :(

The details many of these websites are publishing as fact are just month old rumours.

They're close to the real info stats wise but there's more to it that they are missing.

And it is most definitely not V-Spec. It is Spec-V I guess it's time to start getting used to it... :)

Spec V ya say......hmmmmmm (strokes beard) Wonder what rocket scientist came up with that piece of originality. :(

Interesting to read they say the car isnt profitable. You would have to say that is a bit stupid of Nissan since the demand for the car is so high that better pricing would not have hurt sales, only made the run of cars more profitable

Nissan said the car would be cheaper than a 911. That's probably what's holding the price the car is worth, to meet that "requirement".

Considering all the dealers are marking them up like a bitch already, and people are paying it, clearly the car could be sold for more.

I hope that they do build a PM platform sedan, to help recoup the costs....and build something to smash the Panamera.

Porsche developed the DSG system for their race program in the 70's. Its old technology which was hounded by weight and size.

The electronics were not fast enough back then to bring the DSG gearbox into a production ready product, there isn't anything super exotic about materials or production techniques to have made a DSG box in the 70's.