SAU Community

R32 Gtr Brake Upgrade Advice

Hear what you say re rears. They did say 'suck it and see' was a good option for the rears, but it's just one more thing to fiddle with later if it's not done now......Hotting cars up is one long fiddle and time consuming exercise. I know it's overkill but it's nice to know you've got a set up nailed, however much it might be overkill. A fool and his money eh.....Or is it a fool and his money and his GTR!

I'll drop you a PM re the other option. I'm 11th hour on ordering these, and pretty happy with my decision, but let me know what you've got in mind.

Oh yeah, had some camber and castor put on there, as well as front and rear HD sway bars and the turn in is now fantastic and understeer is drastically reduced, albeit I've not yet been back on the track yet. Wheel feels fantastic and funnily enough tramlining is much reduced too, which you might not expect. Got coilovers, but they are old and need replacing or reco'ing (more money). Rims are R34 GTR running RE55s. 245/40/18 I think they're SR2. Can't remember 100% without checking.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice one. for poor people like my good self. ballpark me on the 355 6/ 343/4 option you went with? it seems to be the gun set-up. and i'm sure I'll need it when I get sick of the 34 brembos going on my old 32 now.

nice one. for poor people like my good self. ballpark me on the 355 6/ 343/4 option you went with? it seems to be the gun set-up. and i'm sure I'll need it when I get sick of the 34 brembos going on my old 32 now.

+1

I'm about to upgrade my 315mm 4pot APs to something this size. My existing APs were perfect for where my car was at (1:52 around the creek), but with more power and tuned suspension I'm looking for something 355mm up front.

My guess is it was between $6-7k for your setup Lotus.

+1

I'm about to upgrade my 315mm 4pot APs to something this size. My existing APs were perfect for where my car was at (1:52 around the creek), but with more power and tuned suspension I'm looking for something 355mm up front.

My guess is it was between $6-7k for your setup Lotus.

$6.8k.....Hurts just writing it down :thumbsup: . From my searches this is a good price too. There are many who will ask $5 to $5.5 for fronts only but to be fair the parts on offer do vary.

I doubt you're poor Mr BB.......

Thanks for that Nick. :) yeah $6.8 seems pretty good to me. if you're getting 4 X calipers, 4 X floating, slotted AP rotors, braided lines, good quality radial mount-lug mount adapters and a set of pads maybe even 2 bottles of fluid then it's a very competetive price.

a car with nice brakes is a joy to drive and gives you so much more confidence on track. but it's hard purchase to cough up for all at once.

Thanks for that Nick. :( yeah $6.8 seems pretty good to me. if you're getting 4 X calipers, 4 X floating, slotted AP rotors, braided lines, good quality radial mount-lug mount adapters and a set of pads maybe even 2 bottles of fluid then it's a very competetive price.

a car with nice brakes is a joy to drive and gives you so much more confidence on track. but it's hard purchase to cough up for all at once.

Yeah, I'll find out about the virues of great brakes soon enough. My pricing does not include AP rotors (they will add $), and I've heard many people advise against floating rotors be they bobbin types or strap drive. Bobbins are noisy and prone to wear and strap drive are apparently very fickle and easy to break can't be machined, don't like reverse braking etc etc. Mine are semi flaoting i.e. they have a tiny amount of lateral movement to allow for some thermal expansion, but that is all. The calipers have knock back springs so this goes someway to addressing knock off.

Warning - I might sound like I know what I'm talking about but really I'm regurgitating what others have told me. Remember, I've not even had the brake fitted yet. Three months ago I was writing to this forum for advice on how to make my standard set up work..........

What discs did you go for mate?

PWR. They are curved vane but other than that I know nothing of them. I ran it past 'Roy' and he had no experience of them other than to say they do some high end OEM stuff so couldn't be too bad. We'll see.

If anyone thinks they're no good, then keep it to yourself and let me find out for myself....! :(

This may amuse. It compares the pad from a Brembo F40 calliper to that from a Sumitomo calliper. Understand that the AP 6 pot calliper runs a pad that is another half inch longer (13mm for the metricated folk) & that it is about the same depth. Pad area looks to be 20% greater which will no doubt help temps. :cool:

Sorry for the blurriness. :D

Another random thought:

According to the fan affinity laws (look it up :devil: ) the relationship between an increase in rotor diameter and an increase in airflow through the rotor is cubic, ie double the rotor diameter = 8 times the airflow.

So a 296 to 324 upgrade will give approx 30% more airflow.

Just somethign to keep in mind when you start stressing about vanes....

post-5134-1225168924_thumb.jpg

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ge...Wh-t238964.html

Reckon these suckers will clear me new brakes laterally? New brakes = R34 Brembo = R32 GTR plus 15mm in terms of required lateral clearance. Long shot I know.

Reckon the'yre too similar for a second set anyhows?

post-46395-1225176000_thumb.jpg

Another off topic 'does my bum look big in this' question, thoughts on these re lateral clearance? I'm hating the red lip (but that can be sorted fairly easily) and I'm not sure about white (but that can be sorted too). They are light and Rays and forged and hopefully have good clearances and there are a couple of pairs floating around at a relatively good price.....

post-46395-1225224180_thumb.jpg

After brakes come rims.......Ok, to open up the field with rim selection, who knows of any 17" rims that will clear my coming soon set up? Clearly both in diameter and laterally? Such a thing? 17" will give me cheaper tyres, the rims may be cheaper themselves and I've heard that 17 x 9.5 is the optimum handling size for an R32 GTR......

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Hey Nick,

Would you mind emailing/PM'ing me the exact parts list that you're getting for $6800? That sounds (I can't believe I'm about to say this)............ cheap for such a setup!

As we've talked about, I'm looking at the same (AP 6 pot front, AP 4 pot rear) for my car and I was budgeting a lot more than that to get it done!