SAU Community

R32 Gtr Brake Upgrade Advice

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should I sell the brakes that came off the car?

As time has gone by in my GTR journey, I've come to realise I'm crap at predicting where it will go......It always goes further than I think. So, keep the brakes to put back on when / if I get another car and sell the current, or to turn the current 'back to original'? She's pretty clean so this could be of value to someone in the future (though prices now are nearing scrap value)

OR, just flog em. They'll just rust up, take up space, you'll never have them back on, better to have the money in the bank etc etc

I guess their value may have a bearing. New RDA rotors, braided lines, 90% QFM K750 and DS2500 pads (full sets), calipers, brackets, bolts etc. Anyone got a view on what they're worth?

Well, I just did Sandown this evening and the brakes were awesome. Totally fade resistant, and really just took everything in their stride. I trod on them pretty hard and they just said 'so what' lap after lap. Awesome. Drove home and the pedal feels brand new.

Well, job well done then. Hope you have been doing plenty of road kms to get heat cycles into the rotors before stomping on them at the track :(

Good to read you ended up with a package you are happy with. Now just to hear how DJ likes his F40s, i am curious to hear his thoughts as i really liked his F40s when on my car with the 324mm rotor

Yeah, hope so too. Bout 500 kms including wait for it, a series of stops as per your initial suggestions. I ran out of time to do 1000kms so rang the brake joint and he seemed to contradict himself by suggesting the series of progressively harder stops with cooling periods. I asked why the turn around in opinion and got no reply. Anyway, like a drone I did what I was told.

Yeh, at first i think you should just do a basic bedding of the new pads to the rotors. Nothing different to a normal pad swap. But more and more thinking about my own experiences and the metallurgy of it...the best thing you can do for track rotors is use them for a heap of street and spirited driving before really getting stuck into them at the track with gradually increasing load and temperature with cooling between.

Even though rotors are heat treated, i think it pays to really heat cycle a new rotor before shocking it with heat and load at the track

Well, job well done then. Hope you have been doing plenty of road kms to get heat cycles into the rotors before stomping on them at the track :thumbsup:

Good to read you ended up with a package you are happy with. Now just to hear how DJ likes his F40s, i am curious to hear his thoughts as i really liked his F40s when on my car with the 324mm rotor

Well as far as I have got is roading them. Had to wait for some new brake lines which only arrived last week.

The first thing to notice is the inch or so of initial travel on the pedal that you get with the stock callipers which does nothing has gone. So feel is much better.

Will have to wait for this weekends sprint to see how they like a bit f heat into them but it all looks promising for now.

Well as far as I have got is roading them. Had to wait for some new brake lines which only arrived last week.

The first thing to notice is the inch or so of initial travel on the pedal that you get with the stock callipers which does nothing has gone. So feel is much better.

Will have to wait for this weekends sprint to see how they like a bit f heat into them but it all looks promising for now.

Hey, you in Perth eh? if so then ill see you at the sprint on sat, would love to hear what you think of the brake upgrade, ill be out there in my white 32GTR but running out of pads so praying to the godz that they hold a few fast laps :D

Hey, you in Perth eh? if so then ill see you at the sprint on sat, would love to hear what you think of the brake upgrade, ill be out there in my white 32GTR but running out of pads so praying to the godz that they hold a few fast laps :)

No worries I will no doubt see you there. Mine is also a white R32 Gt-R by the way. :P

• 2 months later...
DS2500s...throw them to the shitter. Some like them, but the more i read of people running them and wanting a further drake upgrade hints to me that i am not alone in my thinking they are really a crap pad, no better then the cheaper RB74s etc etc.

For pedal feel, bite and retardation then a good pad will get you out of trouble 9 times out of 10. Used with good fluid like Castrol SRF or Motul RBF, and you will be happy with the improvement. From there i would hold off on braided lines, personally i didnt notice any real improvement going to them , which could have meant my std ones were ok in the first place, or i am not very astute at picking small improvements after mods. But main reason i would hold off on them is they wont be a factor that makes or brakes the tweaking of your current setup, and if you find the std brakes with pads and the std ducts etc installed still a little under done then the bigger calipers/rotors will need new lines anyway...so wont be fronting for two sets of lines

As long as you buy the Brembo GTR calipers with the bolts its a pretty easy upgrade, you need to cut off the dust shields and that is about it. If you are anal you can re-drill the brake line mount so it fits the R32 hub position (5min job if you are not too lazy to go and grab the drill. ) As far as upgrades go it is an easy one, and about two hours per corner to perform.

i fitted a set of braided brake lines to an mr2 and also felt absolutely no difference. the swelling that occurs in the brake line, which contains 8mpa when you thinkaboutit would be pretty much nothing. i reckon it's all a gimmick

• 4 months later...

Well i searched the forums looking for a good brake thread and found one! I have always wanted a 6 pot brake system (endless or AP). But this evening i went to a quiet road and tested the brakes on my R32 GTR (the v-spec brembos). I quickly came to the conclusion i DO NOT need to upgrade them!

I cant see myself hitting the track with my car, its too expensive and risky for me even though im covered for $20,000 on the track.. Basically i have Kumho KU31 265/35/18 all round and at 120km/h i can lock up the brakes.. I never thought it would be possible at that speed and with tyres that fat!

So its safe to say you never need better brakes than the Brembo's for purely street use.

PS. I had 2 WRX's before the GTR and the braking is much better in the GTR!

Well i searched the forums looking for a good brake thread and found one! I have always wanted a 6 pot brake system (endless or AP). But this evening i went to a quiet road and tested the brakes on my R32 GTR (the v-spec brembos). I quickly came to the conclusion i DO NOT need to upgrade them!

I cant see myself hitting the track with my car, its too expensive and risky for me even though im covered for $20,000 on the track.. Basically i have Kumho KU31 265/35/18 all round and at 120km/h i can lock up the brakes.. I never thought it would be possible at that speed and with tyres that fat!

So its safe to say you never need better brakes than the Brembo's for purely street use.

PS. I had 2 WRX's before the GTR and the braking is much better in the GTR!

You shouldn't be locking up anything in a GTR, it has ABS...

Would love to know who covers you for track insurance and what it costs though

It wasn't full locking up but it did leave rubber on the road! I will have to check if the ABS has been disconnected, people often do it with WRX's when on the track to improve braking. pretty sure it hasn't been disconnected though.

Shannons cover you on the track. Its in one of their booklets they send out with your statements. I cant find it at the moment but it basically says your covered for $20,000 if your on a race track. Im sure you cant insure your track only car with them, but for occasional usage your covered.

There was a guy who was working for Shannons several years ago and was a member of these forums. Matthew Deluca i think was his name. Does anyone know if he still uses the forums or works for Shannons? Because he'd be sure to know :bunny:

Ok i just googled about the Shannons track day cover and it seems people don't have much luck getting cover! But they definitely advertise that they cover you on the track. Driver training days are covered, but anything ran by CAMS or similar body is NOT covered. There was one guy who got cover in a BMW M3 no problems at all, but it costs extra to take out the insurance, its not included in the yearly premium..

• 1 year later...

i just want to know if R34 Brembos fit straight onto a GTR R32 , besides drilling a larger hole for mounting and changing discs , does the master cylinder or anything else need an upgrade ?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys, need to make some improvements to my standard sumitomo gtr brakes. It's a track only car, and the brakes need to fit under the 16" gtr stock rims, as I have a virtually endless supply of semi slicks to suit those rims. At the moment I'm running DBA4000 rotors and DS2500 pads. Any other ideas? Trying to avoid going up in rim size here :P