SAU Community

R32 Gtr Brake Upgrade Advice

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeh, i have fallen victim to the spare going flat within 1km :blink: Another thing about bnig brakes, is it leaves your space saver useless. If i get a flat on the front i need to swap a rear wheel onto the front and then space saver onto the rear. Keep thinking i should try and get an R34 GTR or Z33 space saver as they may clear the brakes better. In fact just carry a spare mag in the boot :)

the 34 ones aren't too big either (maybe even the same size). you have to do the same with them. flat one front means move a back wheel to the front, and put space saver on the back.

You undo the wheel nuts take the wheel off and put the r33 ones on. As for needing experience on gtr's to fit brakes there are only about 5 bolts to undo and retighten. Stop stressing mate.

As for ebc reds I melted a set in a 280rwkw gtr at the track. Go the ebc yellows in you want ebc and don't listen to the guy in the shop if he tries to sell you reds for the track. They would be fine for the street though. Just put different pads back in when you get home from the track. Its worth it. Maybe $700 all up for my setup. R33 brembo are the same pad length but extend about 5mm further down so most people are gaining more by going the larger disk than the caliper in my opinion.

All I have is ebc yellows with spaced out calipers and slotted 324mm $90 rda rotors with big castor rod air deflectors and cut the backing plate from behind the front and rear disks. No need to spend massive $ and my disks have never warped. Most people who are spending massive dollars on brakes in gtr's with under 300kw most likely need to learn to drive and get their cars to handle better and carry more corner speed so their not relying on the brakes so much.

Put the money into suspension if you want to go faster.

I'm in Seaford and can fit them if needed. Pm me.

Set your car to 355mm front and rear from centre of wheel to guard to begin with.

Gareth, I can't PM you as your inbox is full. Drop me a PM with your email or phone number and I'll shoot something over to you.

Thanks.

Edited by LotusGTR

Hey Nick, i've got them on a 32,

tho i cant really say i have done much track time. and the time i was out there i had a bob jane wheel alignment and it was shocking!

before it died i had it done correctly and they said most of the arms were ceased and there was no what bob jane's people would have done shit all..

anyway, i do find it quiet balanced, and pulls up very quick! :/

OK. Rotors have arrived and will need to get rid of the protective oil. RDA say hot water and soap wth a hot water rinse to get rid of it. Do we all agree? Don't want it contaminating the pads.

Pads, mine are 75% + and come off fairly newly machined rotors so I'm going to go against RDA advice and throw them on the new rotors. Thoughts on that plan?

Cheers.

Just make sure the hub is clean and free of corrosion / scale and give it a hit of something like WD40 (i use Lock-tite anti seize) to ensure that the rotor sits true to the hub,

Also, i think it suffices to just use brake rotor cleaner, not as messy as the hot water approach

i've just ordered a set of tyres from the US...

I'm sick of being fleeced by the Aussie retailers (who in defence are being fleeced by the distributors).

I've ordered a set of Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s in 255/35/18

4 for a total of ~1500 US$. Now even with duty and customs ~20%, call it $2000 aussie dollars.

The quote I've gotten from a few retailers here are between $750-900 per tyre!

They're made in france, then sent to either the US or AUS. How is there such a big difference???

reason for my rant, LotusGTR, you may want to check out the semis that you can get out of the states - eg yokohama A048 from the place I odered:

www.tirerack.com

255/40/17 Yoky AO48 are $US257 which is about $AUD270. 4 of these is $1082 plus $US200 or $AUD211 freight and you've got 4 R spec tyres on your door for $AUD1,293 assuming you avoid duties. Perhaps a special invoice for customs keeping the declared value to $AUD1,000 might work....That's $323 per corner. Best price on RE55s locally is $350 per corner but that is for 235/45/17. All on 5 day delivery on Fedex Economy.

How are the Yokies compared with the RE55s?

Ronin, have you run the Michelins before? Do you know you'll be happy with them? 255/40/17 for the Pilot Cup Sport is $AUD1,419 landed assuming no duty.

Edited by LotusGTR

I had Pilot Sport 1s and they're an excellent tyre. My mate now runs PS2s on his M3 and he loves them, and all the reviews say they're awesome.

we have a 330i with PS2s on it and they're heaps quieter than the Continental Conti Sport 2s that they replaced, and very progressive when letting go.

can't wait to try them on the big bastard 32gtr.

Fedex does things by the book, so it's a good chance you'll get done by duty/gst. I got a call from Fedex saying that they'll advise the gst payable shortly...

I haven't driven on the yokies so don't really know how they go c/f to the RE55s

I had Pilot Sport 1s and they're an excellent tyre. My mate now runs PS2s on his M3 and he loves them, and all the reviews say they're awesome.

we have a 330i with PS2s on it and they're heaps quieter than the Continental Conti Sport 2s that they replaced, and very progressive when letting go.

can't wait to try them on the big bastard 32gtr.

Fedex does things by the book, so it's a good chance you'll get done by duty/gst. I got a call from Fedex saying that they'll advise the gst payable shortly...

I haven't driven on the yokies so don't really know how they go c/f to the RE55s

Cheers for that. How are they in the wet? Also, did you ask them to heat cycle the Michies?

Oh, PS2 versus Pilot Sport Cup. The difference in lay terms? If I'm going down this road and not getting proper R spec tyres I'd like them to be streetable, or are the PSCs just more of the same as RE55, D01J, AO48? Do you know?

lol no idea I'm afraid. The PS2 isn't an R tyre though.

the cups are classified as an R tyre and popular with the Porsche boys though

Brock at tirerack tells me the Cups are the highest performing road / non R sepc tyres you can get. The next step is an R spec, from which you get better performance.

The trade off is that they are far more comfortable. So I guess if you're not measuing performance and value some civility in your GTR you go the Cups over the Rs.

I'll most likely get a set and post up how they go. I tried to get them to mark down the invoice for duty reasons but they won't budge. Customs officers with GTRs, please look the other way :)

talk to Mason Rush if you want - he managed my transaction

Mason Rush [[email protected]]

the tax on mine was$271.

so total AUD$1887 for the set.

still significantly better than $3580 I was quoted locally!

This is how the tax works. Anything over $AUD1,000 duty is applied as per the following example

Value of goods $AUD1,500 you pay duty of 10% making it $AUD1,650. Add freight of $AUD200 giving $AUD1,850. Add GST to this , so now $AUD2,035. Add a $50 admin charge and the total bill is $AUD2,085. So total duty is $385 on $AUD1,700 ($AUD1,500 for the tyres and $AUD200 freight) or nearly 23%. This sounds a lot compared with what you paid Kaga-San.

If you send them as 2 consignments, arriving saparately, no duty wil apply. So, if freight for 2 consignments is less than $AUD385 more than 1 consignment, you're ahead. The real cost of freight for 4 tyres is $US200.50 or roughly $AUD210, so I'm guessing the incremental for 2 consignments of 2 would be around $150, so you're saving $AUD235 this way.

I'll check the freight situation. Bear in mind the 2 consignment strategy was given to me by Customers themselves, so it should be legit, and without hidden complications.

Edited by LotusGTR

Freight for 2 tyres is $US210. Freight for 4 tyres is $US200.50. FEDEX give a discount according to weight.....Makes no sense at all, so the doubling up of freight just about matches the duty of the single consignment option. What a shag. I guess I'll have to pay up or shop at around the $US230 mark to keep the goods below the magic $AUD1k mark to avoid the dreaded duty.

Don't you hate it when a plan fails? :stupid: