SAU Community

R32 Gtr Brake Upgrade Advice

i just want to know if R34 Brembos fit straight onto a GTR R32 , besides drilling a larger hole for mounting and changing discs , does the master cylinder or anything else need an upgrade ?

yes R34 brembos will fit onto 32 GTR. there is no changes needed to mount the disks at all. the only problem is with the caliper mounting lugs. they use a different size bolt, so you either drill out the holes in the lugs on your hub (not my preferred approach) or you get someone to drill and put a timesert or helicoil into the caliper lugs so they will fit using the 32 GTR bolts. I went this option with my 34 brembos as not only is is easier to ensure they are drilled straight (being off the car) but it also means you now have a steel insert into the caliper mounts which is much stronger than just thread cut into the alloy, it also means your 32 GTR can have the original brakes re-fitted if you need to in the future.

the master cylinder sizes between 32 GTR and 34 GTR are slightly different but you can safely use a 32 master with 34 brembos. if down the track your master goes though you may as well replace it with the 34 sized master.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey guys, need to make some improvements to my standard sumitomo gtr brakes. It's a track only car, and the brakes need to fit under the 16" gtr stock rims, as I have a virtually endless supply of semi slicks to suit those rims. At the moment I'm running DBA4000 rotors and DS2500 pads. Any other ideas? Trying to avoid going up in rim size here :P

there is no much you can do really if you want to run stock 32 GTR wheels. you can get a spacer to run the standard calipers with 324mm rotors but the spacer design is a bit of a compromise as it's only spacing the caliper out a very small amount (324mm-296mm=28mm/2=14mm). 14mm means you need to have the holes offset as there just will not be enough meat in a caliper spacer to drill the 2 sets of holes. the other problem is even with standard sumi calipers it's unlikely they will fune under stock 32 GTR wheels with the 324mm disks and the caliper spaced out to suit.

if you want the 'ultimate' standard GTR set-up. I would rebuild the calipers with the project MU rebuild kit (it includes alloy pistons which save a bit of weight and it will refresh your calipers) , then get a set of project MU 2 piece rotors (good but expensive), and some better pads like project mu titan HC+ or endless CCR or CCX, add to that gear some brake ducting to help keep them cool and some braided lines, good fluid, master cylinder stopper and you're on the way to some improvement. remove the dust shields too. if you want to go even further run some titanium backing plates behind your pads they supposedly help stop heat transfer from the pad into your caliper and fluid.

Thanks for the advice BB, however pretty sure anything Project Mu won't be cheap! Might give the standard brakes a whirl at Wakie soon and see how they fare.

I've been considering replacements in case these brakes are just shithouse, and the Wilwood 6 pots seem like a good deal, although I've heard they aren't really suited for heavy cars like GTR's and can flex. Any truth in that?

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

Im running standard size slotted RDA rotors front and normal RDA rotors on the rear on my R32 GTR with QFM A1RM pads , and i can tell you that it completely gets rid of the brake fade the 32 GTR has , and its relatively cheap , the pads are very gentle on the rotors but on a heavy car like the GTR you will go through nearly a whole set of pads in 1 track day, but priced at $119 for front set i reckon its good enough .

I did a 1:52 at Winton with the stock brakes wich started to fade after 8-10 minutes, and with the RDA and A1RM setup I dropped down to 1:46.

Also people tend to forget that buying decent tyres helps even in braking performance.