SAU Community

R32 Gtr Brake Upgrade Advice

After brakes come rims.......Ok, to open up the field with rim selection, who knows of any 17" rims that will clear my coming soon set up? Clearly both in diameter and laterally? Such a thing? 17" will give me cheaper tyres, the rims may be cheaper themselves and I've heard that 17 x 9.5 is the optimum handling size for an R32 GTR......

Thoughts? Suggestions?

17x9.5 +12/22 TE37's or LMGT4's should clear. I know they will clear 355mm Stoptechs, but you're best to get a measurement first. You can try mine out if you want, once the brakes are on the car, or give me a template and I'll measure for you.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After brakes come rims.......Ok, to open up the field with rim selection, who knows of any 17" rims that will clear my coming soon set up? Clearly both in diameter and laterally? Such a thing? 17" will give me cheaper tyres, the rims may be cheaper themselves and I've heard that 17 x 9.5 is the optimum handling size for an R32 GTR......

Thoughts? Suggestions?

there is an easy answer to that. TE-37s. 17X9.5 with the right offset will clear (i think the 17X9.5 TEs come in +25 and +12 but 9.5 with +12 offset will sit just outside the guards). even the 17X9 +20 will be perfect and give you the guard clearance you need and can take a semislick anywhere from 235 to 255 comfortably. that would be my choice.

17x9.5 +12/22 TE37's or LMGT4's should clear. I know they will clear 355mm Stoptechs, but you're best to get a measurement first. You can try mine out if you want, once the brakes are on the car, or give me a template and I'll measure for you.

Thanks for the info and the offer. Trial fit would be fantastic. I'll give you a shout once the brakes are on the beast. I guess the ID needs to be something like 416mm and the measurement from the outer face of the disk to the inner side of the spoke needs to be about 70mm.

there is an easy answer to that. TE-37s. 17X9.5 with the right offset will clear (i think the 17X9.5 TEs come in +25 and +12 but 9.5 with +12 offset will sit just outside the guards). even the 17X9 +20 will be perfect and give you the guard clearance you need and can take a semislick anywhere from 235 to 255 comfortably. that would be my choice.

Wow. 17" is 432 mm. If I need 416 ID that's 8mm per 'side' left over to make the body of the rim. Can I ask how you 'know' this (other than being the revered BB of course). Own personal experience? Cheers. The 17" option looks good, thoughI bet they're just as hard to find.....

Most 17" good rims have an inside diameter of approximately 400mm. The 432mm you have listed is not the amount of brake clearance you have available.

Agreed. I was suprised that a 17" rim would yield 416 ID which is approx what I'd need for the 355s.

Wow. 17" is 432 mm. If I need 416 ID that's 8mm per 'side' left over to make the body of the rim. Can I ask how you 'know' this (other than being the revered BB of course). Own personal experience? Cheers. The 17" option looks good, thoughI bet they're just as hard to find.....

well I have definitely seen AP 6 pots and the like with 355mm rotors under 17inch TE's. haven't tried it myself personally so definately measure up first. I'm not sure that you'll realy need 416ID though. check the templates and measure up a rim too. from memory my enkei NT03s are over 400mm ID and the Weds TC-05s are too. the BBS LMs I have were under 400 as they step down a fair way. it may be worth getting a AP 6 piston kit with 343X32mm rotors so you can pick from a wide range of 17inch wheels as they will fit under heaps of different 17s.

the 355s should fit under the 17inch TEs though. A mate of mine (giant on the forum) was able to fit his 18inch TE37s over his 380mm R35 GTR Brembo set-up and they have pretty big calipers.

well I have definitely seen AP 6 pots and the like with 355mm rotors under 17inch TE's. haven't tried it myself personally so definately measure up first. I'm not sure that you'll realy need 416ID though. check the templates and measure up a rim too. from memory my enkei NT03s are over 400mm ID and the Weds TC-05s are too. the BBS LMs I have were under 400 as they step down a fair way. it may be worth getting a AP 6 piston kit with 343X32mm rotors so you can pick from a wide range of 17inch wheels as they will fit under heaps of different 17s.

the 355s should fit under the 17inch TEs though. A mate of mine (giant on the forum) was able to fit his 18inch TE37s over his 380mm R35 GTR Brembo set-up and they have pretty big calipers.

Well from the templates posted above (which I already had) the cl of wheel to outside of caliper radially is 203mm. Allow 5mm clearance and you've got 416mm. Phunky is going to use the template on his rims and let me know so we'll see how that goes.

The 17 x 9 +22 Weds TC005 will clear a Brembo F50 caliper with 355mm rotor. I just bought a set and they came off an R32 GTR running the 355mm Brembos. So you can get some 17"s but i would definitely be waiting and trial fitting rather then all this other guff.

I have had so many brake setups and wheels combos now because the suff i have read and published data doesnt alwas paint the whole picture

The AP stuff may or may not include a clearance ie calliper + 6mm.

You need the clearaace for three reasons:

1: Rims distort when you are cornering.

2: You can get small stones stuck between the calliper & the inside of the rim which will grind the fk out of them.

3: On the track you get bits of rubber picked up & melted onto the inside of the rim. Which can & do catch fire if they end up near the calliper when you park up.

Anyway if you can find someone ith a 17" Volk (Mine haven't arrived yet so I cant help,sorry) it is easy to check.

The 17 x 9 +22 Weds TC005. I just bought a set

copy cat. :O pics big boy. now all you need is a GTR to go with them. :P there are plenty of dirt cheap ones at the moment.

also, I want some AP's with this slot design...lol.

cp3700t1060t2.jpg

The +22 offset is going to kill me. I am not sure they are going to fit inside the pumped up guards. :laugh: They look so cool on a friends white S13, so they are the only pics i have at present. Have to find someone silly, ahem, kind enough to trial fit them on my car so that the panel beater can give me the gods honest truth of whether they will fit :sick:

The +22 offset is going to kill me. I am not sure they are going to fit inside the pumped up guards. :ermm: They look so cool on a friends white S13, so they are the only pics i have at present. Have to find someone silly, ahem, kind enough to trial fit them on my car so that the panel beater can give me the gods honest truth of whether they will fit :wave:

What do you need Troy, some 17x9 +22's to trial for the panel beater? Sorry, bit confused as I thought you said you'd bought some already. BUT, if you do need to trial some then you can trial mine mate.

Well from the templates posted above (which I already had) the cl of wheel to outside of caliper radially is 203mm. Allow 5mm clearance and you've got 416mm. Phunky is going to use the template on his rims and let me know so we'll see how that goes.

I think they should be ok. When I insert the spigot part of the drawing into the gap in the wheel up to around half way there is clearance, but if I push it in all the way the 'caliper' touches on the rim slightly.

I'd check it out in person to be 100% sure

What do you need Troy, some 17x9 +22's to trial for the panel beater? Sorry, bit confused as I thought you said you'd bought some already. BUT, if you do need to trial some then you can trial mine mate.

TX5 Scott has my car and Jarrod/Ryan have my collection of wheels:) Just need to sweet talk them into fitting the wheels and then getting it down to the panel beaters :) Then the shitty part starts, paying for more panel work :(