SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

I've been running Penrite Racing 10 for almost 2 years now, no complaints

From what I understand, this is a Group 4/5 oil?

Deciding on if I keep using this, or switch to Nulon Full Synthetic 10-40 Hi-Tech, does anyone know what group this falls into, and if its any better than the Penrite Racing 10?

I've been running Penrite Racing 10 for almost 2 years now, no complaints

From what I understand, this is a Group 4/5 oil?

Deciding on if I keep using this, or switch to Nulon Full Synthetic 10-40 Hi-Tech, does anyone know what group this falls into, and if its any better than the Penrite Racing 10?

You would need to shoot Nulon off an email, I would like to know also. Prenrite state clearly in their product information sheets that Racing 10 is synthetic PAO and Ester based.

If you're looking for something a little cheaper, I have been using Penrite HPR DIESEL 5 5W-40 It has a high Zinc content as well as detergent/ cleaners, works well for me.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products.php?id_categ=1&id_fuel_type=3&id_products=7

Edited by Missileman

I drop mine after every trackday. :)

I do scaling factor for track day kays - so any kms done on the track are multiplied by 5. So if i do 100kms at the track, that's equivalent to 500kms of regular driving. At this stage i have no evidence if this is sensible or not...

The reason people drop there oil after a track day is due to the amount of heat the oil sustains when being driven on the track.

Excessive heat on any engine oil reduces its effective life immensely.

If you find yourself in the higher rpms at a track day, you should dump your oil.

Also keep this in mind on the steet. Pending how you drive.

If you want to know for sure. There are places that analyze your engine oil.

The reason people drop there oil after a track day is due to the amount of heat the oil sustains when being driven on the track.

Excessive heat on any engine oil reduces its effective life immensely.

If you find yourself in the higher rpms at a track day, you should dump your oil.

Also keep this in mind on the steet. Pending how you drive.

If you want to know for sure. There are places that analyze your engine oil.

My track oil temp is under control. IIRC Mobil say M1 is ok with respect to degradation at 150 deg C. Agree that oil temp has a very important impact on oil life, as does quality of the oil. So whether you need to dump after a track day depends on those and other factors. As you say, if you dont test the oil you're just guessing, but thats fine too.

I've been doing oil testing on the Stagea, and will do on the GTR next time.

Thanks for expanding a bit on my post, Im on my phone so can be a bit lazy.

If your track oil temps are within normal ranges of daily driving, I am not sure what I would do...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys just here for some advice:

I have read through the first few pages and I have a slight understanding but in my 33 it previously had some cold idle issues and the oil pressure was hitting 8 when driving... So I decided to change the oil and after asking around I decided to go with penrite 15w-60, though when I started it it seemed to have the same idle issue.. (Had it on for 2 minutes before I stopped as I was worried about the sump plug, which the head of the bolt snapped off...)

Any ideas? Using this car as my daily/track car!

Also like in the hills of Adelaide so it gets pretty cold here

Edited by Polishn