SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Yeah we have a 5ltr sard tank in the boot with a 400l/hour walbro pump. It happened well into the wet half of the mountain with the car under minimal cornering or acceleration gs. I'm hoping it was just the sensor and it didn't happen up on the dry run when it was pushed quite hard. Hopefully the log file will have enough to work out what happened.

Likewise good meeting you guys. Saw you guys matched our final run up the mountain. Any plans for other ATC events?

Withdrawals on Monday - could have handled the day off but could quite easily have been back out on Tuesday. Looking forward to Tassie, seems like our car is quite reliable now minus a gearbox replace / refresh so time for a go at the big one.

Likewise good meeting you guys. Saw you guys matched our final run up the mountain. Any plans for other ATC events?

Withdrawals on Monday - could have handled the day off but could quite easily have been back out on Tuesday. Looking forward to Tassie, seems like our car is quite reliable now minus a gearbox replace / refresh so time for a go at the big one.

Yeah pushed a bit harder on the final run, in hindsight we probably should have gone that hard all weekend because we were still well within the limits. Still just happy we finished with no issues and didn't die :)

Was great fun, today is the first day I actually feel normal again, so much lack of sleep!

At the moment no plans for more Targa's although the sponsors were pushing us to organise to come to Wrest Point

Edited by SimonR32

I've had the post targa blues most of the week. Monday was super hung over and driving 3 hours to Melbourne didn't help the cause. A night on the boat and then strait into the work ute for an extra long day is a bit of a reality check.

What a grate event. Really loved the event. The atmosphere at Mansfield prolog was grate. The new setup with the rally safe is a good thing. Not sure the road conditions and surfaces are as good as people say but the couple of long stages are well worth it. Day 1 could have been longer.

We had car and health issues for the most part but had 3 good stages that showed the potential of the car and crew. That made up for the rest of the even.

Will do again given the chance

Forgot you were up for the event Damo - would have come say hello.

We pushed off on the Sunday evening which we regretted, but Kat had work in the morning. I was definitely keen to hit the pub for a few instead - we will be better prepared in future. The Monday hangover wasn't missed though!

Forgot you were up for the event Damo - would have come say hello.

We pushed off on the Sunday evening which we regretted, but Kat had work in the morning. I was definitely keen to hit the pub for a few instead - we will be better prepared in future. The Monday hangover wasn't missed though!

I didn't even realize what car you was in. I thought for some reason you had reshelled into another white 34. I'm all over it now haha. I took a few pics of your car at Mansfield. Mainly the rear fog light and rear wing. Does it have jun high wing stands or some sort of add on? Looks tuff either way.

Hi Guys,

My father and I are moving from late classic to early modern next year and he's trying to tell me HANS devices are compulsory in early modern. Can anyone confirm this? I've been over the Targa and CAMS documentation and cant find anything apart from "HANS devices are strongly recommended".

I know HANS devices are a good idea and I'm not trying to skimp on safety, I'll probably get one soon anyway. Just trying to prove a point haha...

I remember reading an article released by Octagon about two months back stating that all events from Wrest Point 2014 onwards the Hans device and compatible helmets will be mandatory. Not sure if this was just the Modern categories or all. Similar story with Rally Safe which was implemented across the field in High Country this year. One of the scrutineers at THC was performing a survey on all teams this year to work out the number with and without braces. He also confirmed this would be mandatory from the next event onwards.

All of this came from a safety review after the death in TT earlier this year and the survey which was sent out to all teams.

Now if I could only find the email/press release...

Email from Octagon at the end of June this year;

Safety Equipment

64% supported the use of FIA approved fixed back seats. Although most vehicles are already fitted with these, Regularity and Tour categories aside, classic cars present many issues when it comes to the fitment of modern fixed back seats, particularly with aging roll over protection design. Octagon is committed to seeing the increased use of fixed back and head supporting seats, but acknowledges the complications in fitting these seats to many older vehicles.

66.8% supported the requirement for all crews to use head and neck restraint device such as a HANS device. A high percentage of the field already wear the many different FIA or SFI devices available which serve to reduce the threat of cervical spine and basilar skull fractures. Octagon wish to see the use of these devices increase and accordingly such devices will be a requirement from 1 January 2014 for all Modern vehicles (post-1985), and Classic vehicles at a date to be determined following consultation with Classic entrants.

Yeah, seem to remember reading something quite a way further back regarding the intention to make them compulsory, not just in EM. Personally, think you need your head read if you don't use some form of protection, did speak to someone at easter bathurst a couple years back after a biggie and he said he found them too uncomfortable - so wouldn't wear one, despite the other party in the crash being airlifted on a spinal board!

On other matters, with Octagon out and MP back in the driving seat, can we expect precipitous drops in entry fees!! :whistling:

Proud new owners of a rally prepared R33 GTR V-Spec! Dad got the shits with his Jag XJS and discovered the awesomeness of 4WD turbo. We went halves with this one that we found in Melbourne. Already have an entry in for Targa Tas.

post-127154-0-57879300-1385507249_thumb.jpg

Nice purchase nekminnit - I vaguely remember seeing that car go together for a run at Tassie. Looks very tidy.

I found the HANS uncomfortable at first but wouldn't want to run without it now, just got to play with the positioning a bit to get it comfortable. Good knowing your neck is locked to a range of motion.

• 1 month later...

Being new to the skyline scene can anyone offer any advice where to start looking in regards to ride height and spring rates for an r33 tarmac rally setup? Currently there's only about 80mm clearance to the sump guard and exhaust and I've measured approx 350mm from the top of the guard to the centre of the wheel.

This is ok for the track but I'm not sure if it will hold up over the dips, bumps and undulations of targa.