SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

So heading off down the Hume again tomorrow for the second round of the "other" tarmac rally series at Lake Mountain. Sammy drove in round 1 at Mt Baw Baw where we placed third and with the aim of sharing the fun (happy marriage and all) it's my turn to drive.
Last time we were there all was going well till we melted a couple of pistons at 200km/h so there are a few scores to settle with the mountain. This time we're rocking the E85 and a brand new set of A050s (last time the tyres were 2 events old) fingers crossed it's enough :)
This year the event has expanded from the hillclimb format (12 runs of 10kms) to a multi stage event using the road from Marysville to Lake Mountain and Cumberland Junction with total kms of over 200 for the weekend.

Well, what an awesome weekend we had in Marysville. Seriously, I hope more people enter and attend Pete's events in the coming year/s as the level of social activity and camaraderie amongst competitors and officials is at a level you just don't get at any other event.

Until 7:30am on Saturday morning I had never driven the car in the wet so the shakedown run was just that, a great chance to get rid of the nerves and feel the car out on a road I knew well. Temperatures around the 4-5 deg mark, fog and rain all added to the challenge. Once into the swing of things on Saturday my aim was just to improve my times throughout the day and get the car home straight. Saturday was a success then :rolleyes: with times tumbling throughout the day leaving and after trading times (by as little as a second) with Clinton Arentz, we finished the day in third place.
Sunday was more of the same weather wise (albeit a little less wet and a bit warmer as well) but with different stages it was back to square 1. The first stage Sunday felt ok from the driver's seat but didn't feel special. It was enough though to win the stage by 4 secs from Denmeade (also stopping his clean streak of stage wins :3some: ) By the last stage Sunday I was really comfortable in the intermittent conditions and really had a go, finishing on a very big high! (second on stage and enough to secure third outright)
Unfortunately the entry numbers were low, but you gotta be in it to win it (so they say)
To top off the weekend we have a car that drives onto the trailer and needs minimal 'urgent' work, just little bits of maintenance :cheers:

Shame I missed it Dan. With moving house, fixing broken cars and being drunk too often I didnt get to enter the Touring. They are some great roads with plenty of runs. Shame they are still struggling to get numbers

Shame I missed it Dan. With moving house, fixing broken cars and being drunk too often I didnt get to enter the Touring. They are some great roads with plenty of runs. Shame they are still struggling to get numbers

The only thing in that list that doesn't generally happen at rallies is moving house (although when unpacking it certainly feels like it)

The roads with this new multi stage event were unbelievable with everything from flat out to tight and twisty switchbacks, even on the same stage. Would have loved to drive them in the dry but still enjoyed them regardless.

Here's some incar from the stage we won outright by nearly 4 seconds. Excuse the poor sound quality, we had an issue with the audio jack on this stage :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

We will be there again this year in this, see you in early modern!

Well you're going to flog us in that haha

Took it for the first shakedown the other night and ended up with this after half a warm up lap. Shit Bitsrmisn engines, luckily new one is already in the hole.

20131023_180437_zpsaa243a59.jpg

20131023_180420_zps3824973b.jpg