SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Nice car mate. I spoke to your Dad at Buller a couple of years ago after the last stage. If it WAS your old man, I rate him, what a character! :)

80mm ride height might be ok, I've never actually measure my actual ride height. Spring rate wise on a typically rally weight 33R I'd be looking at 600lb FR, 400RR. If you like a stiff feeling car you could maybe step the front up to 650. That's my own personal opinion/preference. Other guys will tell you to run much stiffer, in the rear particularly. Personally, I like a car more friendly to the bumps. Still, you need to ensure you're not bottoming out on the big ones..... and therein lies some of the challenge that is Targa :)

So the wife is looking at changing to an Evo for Targa this year, and I know more about gynaecology than I do about Evo's..

I know there are a few Evo runners on this thread, so what is the general consensus on the best model for EM?

Evo 6, Evo 7? I believe there are even some repannelled Evo 8's running in EM? Asked Targa about this but got no reply?

The RS's are lighter, have mech diffs etc, but is the ADC/AYC on the GSR's overall better for the variable weather conditions of Targa.

Help please..

I will be running the DR30 though, just need to pull my finger out and get it finished

I have had a look back through some posts on here from a few years back with Wooster and Co when he was asking the same thing, and I think I have answered my own questions. Seems an Evo7 RS is probably the preferred model, but no ABS? Then again maybe a GSR and change the rear AYC diff is easier than retrofitting ABS to an RS.

It also seems that while there may be a few Evo 8's out there that have been changed back to 7 spec, this isn't allowed for under the rules and not really the thing to do..

Targa newsletter in my email last night says HANS devices are now required for all Modern entrants (cars built from 1 January 1985). Anyone running in Wrest Point this year? I see 4 GT-R's entered.

In other news, bit the bullet and ordering MCA Gold's for the R33.

I don't know how they came to the conclusion that classic doesn't need HANS. Some of those classics run in the top 5-10 overall.

I'm not running Wrest Point, but it looks like Dad is going to make a last minute entry in his Spec-C. So I'll probably be down there crewing.

• 3 weeks later...

Well hello again SAU Tarmac Rallying thread!

To say I've been a little quiet of late would be an understatement, but I'm back to talk crap with the best of you ;)

Is anyone running the new Poatina Mountain Race this weekend? I thought I spied savman & a new nav on the entry list?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mt race was the ducks guts. Missed Scotty up there. Needed more evos haha. Almost makes me want to drive Tarmac rallies. Almost.

Ill see you all about Tt and mainly the targa bar Sunday night

• Like 1

Is anyone entering the 'Great Tarmac Rally'?
It's on October 4th and 5th, part of the Australian Tarmac Rally Championship.

http://www.australiantarmacrally.com/great_tarmac_rally.html

It seems to be run under AASA and not CAMS

I aim for this to be my first tarmac rally event, do many other people from here enter this event or similar events?

Cheers

I'll be entering either the Great Tarmac Rally or Snowy River Sprint this year for my first tarmac rally as driver after navigating for my father in past Targa events. He ran in the Baw Baw Sprint the other week and loved it. Apparently its very well organised and laid back. Sounds like a good place to get my feet wet.

Hopefully one day there'll be enough interest for an event in NSW. Travelling south for every rally could get tiresome.

I'll be entering either the Great Tarmac Rally or Snowy River Sprint this year for my first tarmac rally as driver after navigating for my father in past Targa events. He ran in the Baw Baw Sprint the other week and loved it. Apparently its very well organised and laid back. Sounds like a good place to get my feet wet.

Hopefully one day there'll be enough interest for an event in NSW. Travelling south for every rally could get tiresome.

A friend of mine enters these rallies and he had a similar opinion, good fun and more laid back than Targa events.

I'm lucky that the next one is about an hour drive from my house!

Is anyone entering the 'Great Tarmac Rally'?

It's on October 4th and 5th, part of the Australian Tarmac Rally Championship.

http://www.australiantarmacrally.com/great_tarmac_rally.html

It seems to be run under AASA and not CAMS

I aim for this to be my first tarmac rally event, do many other people from here enter this event or similar events?

Cheers

I've been the the Baw Baw and Lake Mountain events doing the touring section and both were great (if a little slow....pesky burgundy Evo X). These are also run by Mountain Motorsports, When time permits I intend to do some competitive TR and frankly from what I've seen the cost and time commitment required by the larger events make them seem a long way off for me. I also find the idea of the larger events intimidating and would see these smaller events as a perfect way into the sport. A way to learn my craft and the scene without jumping too far into the deep. MMS guys are are good guys and the crowd inclusive so from my experience I'd recommend their events. I do heard they're fairly well subscribed these days which is great, but also a shame...I'll also be checking out the Poatina Hill Climb which seems to have a similar feel to the MMS events.

My mate did the touring section of the GTR and said it was ace too.

Hope this helps.

I've been the the Baw Baw and Lake Mountain events doing the touring section and both were great (if a little slow....pesky burgundy Evo X). These are also run by Mountain Motorsports, When time permits I intend to do some competitive TR and frankly from what I've seen the cost and time commitment required by the larger events make them seem a long way off for me. I also find the idea of the larger events intimidating and would see these smaller events as a perfect way into the sport. A way to learn my craft and the scene without jumping too far into the deep. MMS guys are are good guys and the crowd inclusive so from my experience I'd recommend their events. I do heard they're fairly well subscribed these days which is great, but also a shame...I'll also be checking out the Poatina Hill Climb which seems to have a similar feel to the MMS events.

My mate did the touring section of the GTR and said it was ace too.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback!

Glad to hear another person recommending these events. I called Peter today (Director for Mountain Motorsport) and he's a very friendly/helpful guy. I'm just starting to read through all the AASA/CAMS regulations. I understand for these events I need to follow the AASA regulations, but I figure if I am setting my car up for tarmac rallies I will follow the CAMS National spec so I am covered for both - apparently the CAMS guidelines will also cover all of the AASA regulations too.