SAU Community

Car Tuned Today And Not To Happy

I got my r32 with a rb25det tuned today.

I am in strong belief that the tuner did a good job as i have dealt with him on many occaisions but he has said that my fuel ratio is all over the shot. He said he has not seen something this bad in ages.

The mods are

FMIC

Walbro 255 fuel pump

Sard FPR

3'' exhaust from turbo back

Possibly a neo turbo on it.

Running 10psi i was getting 185.5 rwkw.

Now after the tune all he did was check the mixtures as i was getting massive flames of over a meter lapping my boot and he checked the boost running 11psi i get 183.2rwkw.

Does this power figure add up as in the top one is that what a rb25 will make roughly with those mods. He told me i will get prob another 10-15rwkw fixing the fuel mixture and getting it to run properly.

He has stated that normal driving around town it is so rich that i will glaze my bores. But WOT at 3000rpm it leans right out. Then goes rich as hell again untill the fuel pump runs out of leggs and i lose fuel pressure but if still runs righ cos of all the fuel in there. Any suggestions would be good or if you have had this problem. He said the lean spot is pretty bad but has advised me that he swapped A/F meter, o2 sensor and played with the TPS. But none of this changes anything.

He reckomends i get a microtech as it is a full wire in job as he want to do a new loom and eliminate the prolems with in it.

Have any of you had similiar problem at all and if yeah what was it or what might it be.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about right.

180 to 220 kw is the spread for thise mods, depending on dyno, air temp, blah , etc

Look at getting an ECU mod, whether it be a pigyback like safc or emanage, or full replacement like pfc or vipec, blah , etc.

Generally, the more you spend the better.

I dont see any mention of ECU...

And later you make mention of one... so im going to assume you do not have a proper setup/tuneable ECU...

So, how on earth did he tune it?

Where is the dyno graph with AFR plots?

That might tell a better story as im not taking all your saying as 100% right, i think something might be missing

Either way, end of the day, the power sounds exactly right for those mods on a stock ECU. AND generally most stock ECU's have a fit with increased boost, and your setup falls perfectly into that category thats common as it gets.

Like R31 says, you need an ecu, then you can set up your fuel map (with a tune), go from 300km a tank to 500, and probably make another 10-30kw as well. Without an ecu your just wasting $$$$ on loosy tunes and fuel. Can't believe how many people don't do this, its a basic fundamental part of the mod list.

Do your engine and your bank account a favour. Buy a Power FC.

Then maybe you won't blow your engine up!

But hey, your on a internet forum.. your here to ask for advise and then go off and do the complete oposite.

Thanks for the replies. I have a sotck ECU at the moment and wanted a power FC. Was ordering one next week but he has asked for a Microtech as that is his prefered computer so he can eliminate alot of sensors and shit such as the AFM.

He has swapped the AFM over twice noe to different ones and it has not helped it is still runnin 4.9-5 volts.

Thanks again i will go Buy a ECU. The car is in a garage and not moving till this is fitted.

Cheers Guys.

personally i would go power fc over a microtech but thats just me!

plenty other tuners out there who do pfc. just every car ive own with microtech they tend to run like horse shit lol

your fuel pump should not run out of leggs at that Kw.... I'm running 335Kw with the same pump...

i haven't heard many good reviews on microtech, go for a PFC or Vipec or if your going to go all out on mods later on get a haltech or something...

I'll give you some advice from the benefit of my experience. your problem is most likely the walbro fuel pump. I can't even begin to total up the number of people who have fitted one only to have problems with car running rich, then lean etc. the chances of it being the fuel pump double if you installed it yourself.

microtech is NOT the way to go for your skyline. it is far easier, cheaper and better to buy a Power FC and fit that. anyone can tune it. if he can tune microtech he can tune power FC. if not, go somewhere else.

and get that walbro pump out of there and fit a direct fit nismo or tomei pump. they will supply plenty of fuel for even 300rwkw and are a direct fit into the take so there is no chance you can balls up the installation. also, why did you install the sard fuel reg? and what have you set it at? this could be contributing to your problem. if you sell the sard reg and the walbro pump that will probably cover the cost of a new nismo pump.

+1 for Power FC over Microtech, I've had a microtech in my old car and although it made the power it didn't drive particulaly well. My dad has a Power FC in his car and it drives smooth as a stocker.

Microtech are great ECUs for motorsport applications but do not have the tuneabillity of a Power FC. For a daily driven car that you want to drive like standard, cold start and cruise, power FC is the go. The fact that it doesnt run idle air control, knock, are two reasons i wouldnt use one in a street car, and i have fitted over a dozen before Power FCs were available,

+1 for Power FC over Microtech, I've had a microtech in my old car and although it made the power it didn't drive particulaly well. My dad has a Power FC in his car and it drives smooth as a stocker.

OK the reason he wont use a power FC is because he want to wire it in himself. He has done many of these and has very good results with them on several skylines up here. Here being Darwin.

We were going to put a power FC in untill he looked at some of the wiring and the stock loom. He says it is mesy and well i will agree with that. So he wants to start from scratch and piss off all i dont need. I am well aware that the fuel pump i have got will support the power were thinkin it might be faulty. We fitted a FPR because the old Malpassi one i had was leaking so i got this one.

Thanks for the reply's i see it is the engine management is the problem so i will be ordering one next week. Thanks for the replies.

A PFC doesnt require any wires!!!!!!!!!!

unbolt old ECU, bolt in new ECU... i fail to see how 'messy' stock wiring is causing a problem... you dont need to change anything.

Why he would want to butcher it up, and put in something thats inferior... is beyond me

EDIT: your also running a FPR on a stock ECU setup... why?

stock FPR = fine

Gota say here that stock wiring over many years of being butchered up with all sorts of shit spliced into it can be messy and can cause problems so I can see why the tuner wants to start from scratch here.

Ive got a headache of a wiring mess and one of my brand new o2 sensors just isn't reading at all. You can see all sorts of splicing has been done on the wiring harness

DO NOT get a microtech... They are sh*t... THe car will never run properly. AFM's are VERY good for a street driven car. When tuning with one you can make it drive much nicer. You have no need to remove the afm particulary with the little power you have.