SAU Community

Project Mu Hc+ Pads Are Really Noisey!

Hi all,

On the weekend I got my front pads and front rotors replaced on my R34 GT-R with Project Mu HC+ pads & Project Mu SCR Rotors. The rears were going to get replaced as well (with HC+ pads also) but the disc machiner was broken so my mechanic told me that he will replace the rear pads and machine the rear discs (and bleed the brake system) once the machine is fixed. So now I have Project Mu discs & pads up front, and stock pads/discs at the rear.

Anway, whenever I use the brakes as I normally do, the braking noise is loud. It also seemed that the harder I went on the brakes the louder the noise would get. Now I know that the pads would produce some noise, but I didnt think it would be this loud! Now obviously you guys cannot hear how loud they are for me but I am interested to know if anyone else out there has used these pads and have had the same 'loud' experience? Maybe there is something wrong with my particular brakes?

Its like someone is blowing on a really loud flute everytime I step on the brakes!!! My car is now a 'real' head turner... but for the wrong reasons!!! Can someone please shed some light on these particular pads...

On a side note, how are the NISMO S-Tune brake pads? Do they also produce a really loud noise when the brakes are applied? Or are they similar to stock in that respect, but still produce good braking power? Any info/opinions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

On the track they are quiet as a mouse...but very squealy on light application when cold.

So whats a good pad that doesnt produce brake squeal in cold/street driving but still produces good braking power on the street/racetrack?

Try driving around everyday in freezing and sub freezing temps on snow and ice..Mine squeal so much I can play tunes by pumping the pedal...Its just lucky japanese cops dont blink an eye lid when they hear it...

Edited by elrodeo666

So whats a good pad that doesnt produce brake squeal in cold/street driving but still produces good braking power on the street/racetrack?

I use and recommend the QFM A1RM pads, but read the brakes sticky, plenty of varying opinions in there of whats good / not good.

NOTE: I only do light trackwork and you *have* to bed in the pads carefully and machine the rotor.

I had my fronts replaced with scr's and rears machined. hc+'s all round. At first i thought there might be something wrong, cause they are quite noisy.

More than i was used to anyway....But,

They seem to get quieter when warmed up though.

In the same boat, I have HC+ and new RDA rotors all round. Loudest squeel I have heard from any brakes to date! At first I also thought there was something wrong like brake shims, not bled properly etc but i have gone back over these things and they seem fine, I'am also hearing from multiple people (including this thread) that they are just a very noisy pad....on the upside they do work quite well!

Ryan

sadly there is really no such thing as a good street and track pad. what works for one doesn't for the other.

good stree/spirited driving pads are endless SSS. they are quiet, low dust, and still work well in hard driving. work well from cold too.

for track titan HC+ or endless CC-R are good. but they are dusty, noisy and will wear rotors if used a lot in light street braking.

pads are not hard to swap, so it's worth going one set street and one set track.

no need to machine every time you swap. as long as they are no groove worn into the rotor they should be fine. I would still machine them periodically though. the other option is just get 2 sets of rotors. then for track use slap on your track rotors and track pads, and after swap back to the street rotors and street pads. this is the best option but costs more up front, but in the long run doesn't cost any more, in fact it should save you money.

As a couple of people have mentioned already, the QFM A1RM... Good for 780 degrees, works from dead cold, doesn't product alot of dust, and generally is dead quiet. I personally run them in both the rally car, and also my daily driven tow vehicle just because there's no reason not to!

Christmas SAU Special here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Ch...Hi-t247626.html

or else a stack of customer reports and feedback (including links to where they said it) here:

http://www.qfmperformance.com

Was in the exact same boat a month ago. R32 GTR, RDA slotted rotors all round HC+ pads all round, squeeled like a pig, found out that the brake guy didn't install any antisqueel shims, the kit is $90 from nissan, comes with all grease and shims, brakes are quiet as a mouse now, just did my 3rd track day on these pads, starting to wear thin now but still stop well, about 30% left

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
Was in the exact same boat a month ago. R32 GTR, RDA slotted rotors all round HC+ pads all round, squeeled like a pig, found out that the brake guy didn't install any antisqueel shims, the kit is $90 from nissan, comes with all grease and shims, brakes are quiet as a mouse now, just did my 3rd track day on these pads, starting to wear thin now but still stop well, about 30% left

Sorry to bring up an old thread but you had no shims at all??? So would you still recommend getting this antisqueel kit then? Cos if it really works then I would love to have my brakes quiter... if at all possible! :)

Cheers,

Glen

Still no news on Nismo ones? I've got the R-Tune going in next week and hopefully its not as bad as the project mu because I've heard them on my mate's car before!

On the track they are quiet as a mouse...but very squealy on light application when cold.

Exactly the same as mine. Once hot and on heavy applications they shut up. I also noticed after giving them a good hard run they woldnt "AS" noisy for a few hundred Kms.

Its annoying pulling up at a set of lights and people looking at you going "mate, I think your brakes need looking at" haha.