SAU Community

My Sr20 Build - Pics Inside

Thought I would throw up a few pics of my completed SR20 build - no dyno yet (finished at midnight last night).

Interesting bits:

Full-Race Twin Scroll mani with twin gates

3071 with .78 divided ex housing

Hypertune Intake

1000 cc Sards

Autronic

Forged and Darton Sleeved Bottom End

JHH Engineering Head with larger Super Tech inconel ex valves

Tomie 260/260 12mm lift pro cams

SR20Build007.jpg

SR20Build010.jpg

SR20Build011.jpg

SR20Build012.jpg

Pic of the gates before the dump tube went on - these actually merge back into the main exhaust.

SR20Build003.jpg

Edited by juggernaut1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn sweet looking setup. Cant wait to see a power figure. As much as im enjoying my 26 i miss my SR's...

Why the twin gates?

The manifold and turbo exhaust housing is divided (i.e. twin scroll). On a SR20 this means cylinder exhaust manifold runners 1 and 4 are paired off and completely and separately to 3 and 4 right up to the exhaust wheel.

Because they are paired off each pair of cylinder runners has its on gate. Whilst it is possible to use a twin gate tubes merge into a single gate - there is a cetain amount of exhaust gas pressure leakage from one gate tube to another in the exhaust manifold as it is not possible to create a perfect seal between the two gate tubes at the merge point just before entry into the single gate.

Edited by juggernaut1

with a setup that well designed for boost control, I would have thought you would have optioned for at least a GT3076 (6 blade version) ?? Not knocking it, but that turbo will produce sub 300rwkw outputs, but a good mid range.

Just think thats a bit of an overkill for hte powerlevel you are going to achieve.

Well done none the less, don't take my comments as slander, just more curiosity.

Jono

Edited by The Mafia

with a setup that well designed for boost control, I would have thought you would have optioned for at least a GT3076 (6 blade version) ?? Not knocking it, but that turbo will produce sub 300rwkw outputs, but a good mid range.

Just think thats a bit of an overkill for hte powerlevel you are going to achieve.

Well done none the less, don't take my comments as slander, just more curiosity.

Jono

No offense taken. I actually did consider the 3076 but Geoff Raicer from Full-Race convinced me otherwise and advised me this setup will acheive quicker lap times on a short circuit like Barbagello in Perth where I live. I seemed to get the impression from him that the slight loss in transient response wasn't worth the extra hp gain the 3076 would give.

In any case, I wasn't chasing any certain power level more a case of the best transient response and area under the curve.

Edited by juggernaut1

awesome setup, good components with a well thought out plan ad application. So often i get cars dropped off that are based on the hp rating of the turbo and not the application.

We did a S15 earlier this year to achieve similar things (you probably know athid) decent plenum, decent turbo setup, cooler ecu etc and well it produced the craziest curve and torque i have ever seen outta a SR20, i cant wait to see your dyno grpah as im sure they will be very close.

here is athids;

post-34927-1229936807_thumb.jpg

Edited by URAS

Yes Trent it will be interesting to see how it compares to the single scroll stuff. Can't wait to get it on a dyno, tune and run it in.

i reckon your a winner for sure, beau's setup on the beams engine sure aint a slouch :P

• 2 months later...

Quick update

Had the car on the dyno yesterday.......ambient temp was 43 degrees and high humidity here in Perth so it was working hard......anyway at 17 psi the Hypertune intake manifold split open.

Couldn't see it (or hear it) at first but couldn't get the car to idle at less than 3000rpm so we new we had a leak after the throttle body as we checked all hoses etc.

Pulled it off last night and the intake had gashed open where the idle control valve outlet is (which is underneath the manifold). Would have thought these manifolds could have handled alot more boost.

Anyway will weld it up and put it back on the dyno..........with more boost.......hopefully.