SAU Community

r30 skylines

rsx84

Can anyone solve my riddle???  

Brake lights don't work when brake pedal is depressed.  All fuses checked.  And Brake pedal switch has been replaced.  Why won't my friggen brake lights work???  With all this rainy weather, its too dangerous for them not too.  Already almost been rear ended about 6 times.  They light up when headlights are turned on, but just dont come on brighter when braking.  Any suggestions???

Follow the pedal switch back to the brake lights, it may have been severed at some point. Also there is a little black box mounted in the boot on one of the taillights, (right side i THINK) which can fail, check the system with a test light before and after this little box (its about 5cm long and 3cm x 2cm)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went 248 on the freeway in my S13 ... but its how quickly u get up there that gives the thrills! and how much wheelspin haha

hmm the lights thing does maybe sound like an earth problem or something not properly connected since theyre coming on so the circuit must be getting power, but just not lighting up properly when depressing the pedal. check all the connections into the lights like has been suggested then if that fails try and trace the earth cable.

tho an auto ellecy would probably be fairly speedy at tracking down a problem such as that i would imagine since its fairly clear what the symptom is and there cant be *too* many possible causes !

i saw a picture on Yahoo! Auctions Japan for a DR30 for sale which had the rear windscreen wiper removed .. looked pretty smooth so i thought hell ill do that to mine just see if i like it for a day or something coz i never use it anyway even in rain haha so i took the nut and wiper off and drove round and wallah, lost the black dust cover thing that goes over the bottom part of it lol ****. im too much of a fidget for my own good sometimes. o well :) wiper stays off now :) the thread stickin out does look a bit wierd from up close but from a distance it looks quite cool without the wiper .. smoother and more symettrical (apart from huge exhaust and badges haha)

It couldn't have been the panel beaters, as they didnt disconnect anything. Like Crimmo said, it could be that little black control box, thats the only thing I didnt check (although I wondered what it did!). I had a good look today at work and I know the taillights were changed after it was imported coz they were cracked. There are two left over wires either side with provisions for a push in type 12V globe, I put globe in these and tried the brakes but it did nothing.

Anyways to cut a long story short its going down to auto electricians tomorrow morning, they will definetely sort it out in like 10 minutes I reakon!

..snip..

Anyways to cut a long story short its going down to auto electricians tomorrow morning, they will definetely sort it out in like 10 minutes I reakon!

Yeah I had a weird one, took it to the sparky, took 'em half an hour and it turned out to be a wire burnt out in the dash when some dumbarse shorted something and burnt out a couple of wires

Hey Mate,

Don't suppose you know what sort of speed you were carrying at 6k? Have you got the stock rear end in it?

Cheers

Rob

Sorry i dont know the kph,as the speedo only shows 180kph,and when your shifting at 8000rpm the speedo passes 180 in 4th gear.It has a 4.1 R200. One of the reasons its so exciting is the fastest part of the circuit is up and over a hill which means you have to brake on a short incline at the bottom of the hill...awesome.

there some program i had somewhere that could work out ur speed from ur diff ratio & wat RPM you are doing at 100km/h.

thats how i worked out the 248 for the S13. mite need to try and track that down to work it out =)

No mods needed....Wolf needs a reference hole drilled in the disc so it can see No1 position.

Came 6th outright(55 entries) and second in class at the weekends sprint event.6000rpm in 5th down the straight is the best drug around. :D

So how exactly does the wolf run your car??? I just got offered a V4 last night for a cheap price and im pretty much gonna take it...

Got my brake lights fixed, and it turned out to be what Crimmo suggested (and the only thing I didn't check!) that little black box on the RH rear tailight. Apparently its just a sender type unit that tells your cluster whether any of the lights are out. It was all melted and fried on the inside! All they did was take it out and bypass it.

On another note I woke up bright and early this morning to take my radiator out. Its in getting fixed up as it has a small pin prick on the top tank! Hopefully they can resolder another top tank on or fix the old one, just don't want it to cost the earth!

Talking about top speeds, the other nite I gave the Skyline a blast and wound it off the clock past 180 doing about 5500-6000rpm (didn't get exact rpm as was concentrating on Prado I whizzed past) :whatsthat

i'm on the final straight now:) car goes to auto electrian on mon to fix a few things then new tint and last to get the seats fitted and complied then i'll pick up my new plates:) :D once on road it'll get some waiting new bits...

Got my brake lights fixed, and it turned out to be what Crimmo suggested (and the only thing I didn't check!) that little black box on the RH rear tailight.  Apparently its just a sender type unit that tells your cluster whether any of the lights are out.  It was all melted and fried on the inside!  All they did was take it out and bypass it.  

On another note I woke up bright and early this morning to take my radiator out.  Its in getting fixed up as it has a small pin prick on the top tank!  Hopefully they can resolder another top tank on or fix the old one, just don't want it to cost the earth!  

Talking about top speeds, the other nite I gave the Skyline a blast and wound it off the clock past 180 doing about 5500-6000rpm (didn't get exact rpm as was concentrating on Prado I whizzed past)  :whatsthat

I know my car used to do 180 in 4th at about 5900 or somethig like that...Then the big brick wall!!

Got my new turbo tuesday as well boys, taken some foto's, just have to upload them to my website which should be done this arvo!!

Got my brake lights fixed, and it turned out to be what Crimmo suggested (and the only thing I didn't check!) that little black box on the RH rear tailight.  Apparently its just a sender type unit that tells your cluster whether any of the lights are out.  It was all melted and fried on the inside!  All they did was take it out and bypass it.  

Had a similar problem with my car as well now that i think of it

its a small box about a size of a packet of redhead matches right? Yeh mine was absolutely fried as well and bypassed it. Brake lights worked though, just the night lights didnt, made my car a little-too-stealth for my liking :)

so basically it was a dawn-till-dusk car until i got that fixed.

Yay got myself a set of coilovers. Gearbox should be going in this week some time if I get off my ass, diff should be getting done next weekend, It's all coming along slowly very slowly. Just need a tailshaft made and thats the drive line done. Then all the rest of the suspension... and the list goes on.

What does everyone think of one of these turbo's on an FJ???

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant...tegory_Code=GRT

Yes GT2871R is a GT28 turbine and a GT35 comp wheel . If you look at the GT28RS at this site its what I ran . The only prob with either of these is the T25/28 flange . ATP also do a T3 exhaust housing actually GT30 internally but profiled to the turbine used by the GT28RS and GT2871R (same) . In theory you could use an integral waste gate with this housing , but not your original FJ gate . You need to understand that the std exhaust housing was made by Nissan to suit a Garrett core and so the stud patern on the back of the exhaust housing is different . However the Garrett style gate is easy to find .

The turbo I really like is the GT3071R , T3 flange and GT30 turbine . It uses the same comp wheel as the GT2871R and could probably also use TO4B comp cover if space was a problem . Lots of good stuff at this site but none FJ specific .

Cheers A .

my car is for sale guys, asking 10k, spent well over 15k in mods.

No photos yet, but they will be coming soon

Nissan Skyline R30 4D Metalic Gold - Series 2 (New 2pak paint 12 months ago)

'93 RB20DET

VG30 Turbo

Stainless bar and plate front mount intercooler 450*300*75

3" mandrel bent turbo back zaust system, kakimoto box

TJ unsprung racing multi plate clutch

JIC height adj. suspension all round (camber adj. front)

R32 4 piston front brake setup

Mech R200 LSD

K-mac sway bar

Bosch 044 fuel pump

Custom made oil catch can

Watanabe RS-8 in 16x8 on all corners

4 point half cage

Turbosmart electronic boost controller

Blitz boost gauge

More mods ive cant think of off the top of my head

Adam_RSX - yeh that was me :)

Has anyone fitted a Turbosmart bleed valve to their FJ20 at any stage. I fitted one today, and it lifted the boost from 0.3 bar to 0.6, which was all a wanted to do, but at high revs when under load, it is like the factory BOV is opening up and venting for some reason. Any suggestions???

I think it is coming from the RH side of engine bay, and at first thought it was a boost leak, but double checked hoses and everything was fine.