SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Finally got my car finished so here is the mod list and result:

Hypergear SS2 bolt on, 460 LPH walbro, xspurt 1000cc, return flow FMIC, custom split dump and 3 inch exhaust, splitfires, scotty's intake pipe, NPC clutch and a haltech plug in.

Results were:

240rwkw at 15psi on 98 (exactly what I asked for just safe and drivable) and

320.6rwkw at 22psi on E85!!

Power comes on very strong but still drives fairly well off boost. Full boost was hit before 130km/h in 4th and stayed perfect right throughout which is good for the internal wastegate. Dyno showed once the power peaked it very slowly fell away which is probably due to factory cams and valves but it's still awfully impressive.

post-95739-14170810196569_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much Stao for a great turbo, Paul and the boys at pulse racing seemed very impressed by it!!

• Like 3

Nice result

I would expect that from mine when i get a retune @ 20 psi.

Pretty much exact same mods as you.

Im getting ~264kw @ 16 psi at the moment.

Is that on 98 or E85? The red line on that dyno graph is my 15psi run on E85 and that was 280 which was freaking amazing I thought

Great result. Thanks for sharing.

Further evaluation and testing, Since the ATR43SS-2 Alpha is too small for the Rb26det engine, I have made an customized SS-4 Alpha turbocharger using a much larger turbine, compressor how ever is slightly smaller then the current retail version. The goal is still 350rwkws on pump fuel with optimum responds. The new turbocharger drives great on road, be interested to see what the dyno says next week.

turboside.jpg

enginebay.jpg

I think I have found the reason for my boost tapering issue, looks like a silicon hose wasn't tightly clamped.

leaksilicon.jpg

IMG_20141202_135955.jpg

Been to the dyno today, It appears to have some sort of flow restriction or a boost leak some where, the new turbo is a 3582 equivalent made exact same amount of power as the smaller SS-2, while the boost tapering issue is unsolved.

But either way implanting VNT system on Rb26det engine is very successful. at 4100RPM the differences between engaged and disengaged was 10psi and 60kws.

Brown is full engaged, Blue is dis-engaged, light blue was when we did some experiments with VNT trigger that can be discarded.

img029b.jpg

boostmarked.jpg

Back to dyno again next week, hopefully with the boost issue fixed.

The boost tapering looks like a pressure drop across the core very similar to page 83 . There are no leaks, I will be upgrading to a standard 600x300x75mm cooler as well as getting rid of the factory twin bovs, Hopefully that will make a difference.

I've made few plugs and completed and leak test, which plugged the cooler piping that connects to the turbo, the 3.25 inches end that goes to the inlet manifold as well as the bov return. I pumped 20psi through using a compressor and it held pressure fine. It has a full 3inches turbo back exhaust. I can't think of any thing else apart from the cooler. Hopefully the new cooler fixes this problem.

It came in with stock exhaust. Before tuning with the twin N1s, I've had a JJR's twin 2.5 inches dump / front pipes installed along with a 3 inches turbo back exhaust with all straight through mufflers. Other three singles turbos they all had a brae made 3inches turbo back front pipes. The engine was pretty happy taking timing it did not appear to have symptoms of a block exhaust.

Funny I always end up with previously modified cars making crazy power that I've personally put very little work in, trouble shooting issues through modifying a fully stock car is a very different experience, hopefully after every thing is sorted, this thread would contain some useful data for RB26 modifiers.

adding one more result. This is an bolton version of an ATR43SS-2 on a RB25det with usual supporting mods making 278rwkws @ 17psi on a Dyno dynamic dyno, Sheet is a bit blurry, will have a clear photo updated once received. For now:

278rwkw.jpg