SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Not sure if trolling :huh: Either way, pretty sure we had a yarn on this very topic almost a year ago you were talking camshaft design, I remember wondering if you were really listening to my side of the conversation or not. Perhaps I have my answer to that? :whistling:

Production line style tuning can work it lots of cases, especially if applied to identical setups but I tend to be a bit more fussy/cautious about it and prefer to not tell people or apply rules blindly to every setup everywhere without some forethought or testing to ensure things are definitely going to turn out the way intended - but that is just me. The car would at the very least need to be retuned to suit a drastic change like this, imho.

No I'm serious, the "guy" I recommended these settings to was Hypergear who has a stock engine with stock cams as far as I have read

This why I said try these settings because I have tried and tested all different setting with stock RB26 engines and these are good for response with mid-top end on a stock production engine and this was intended as a good starting point to try

I didn't recommend these to some random dude on a forum but to Hypergear and will add Blackers to this, I assumed Hypergear who build turbos for a living and does everything on a dyno and Blackers who if I'm right is affiliated with MoTec somehow would automaticly understand that these need to be set from a corrected 0deg and should be done then tested on a dyno, are you saying that was wrong on my behalf and that I should have spelled that out to them ?

We probably did have this discussion but as you said it was about cam designing and not stock cams, the fact I don't remember could be a couple of reasons, 1 it was about a year ago and I have a lot going on and don't remember every conversation I have on a forum or 2, I thought about what you said and dismissed it as wrong and moved on

As for these settings they where given to enhance a stock engine not a highly modified highly strung race weapon with custom cams and will work with any stock camed RB26 head regardless of the bottom end providing the base cam timing is +/- 2 deg from 0

and again I have been reminded I should bother trying to help anyone cause clearly I have no idea and the results I have gotten from my cars was just a fluke and the 32 I managed to do before ever stepping foot into SAU so I'm still not sure how that could have happened or even been possible

This is the last post I will post in this thread in regards to this matter if you want to continue this take it to PM

keep calm and boost on! :) on a side note and hopefully dragging it back to hypergear thread.... i'll be recieving my atr43ss2 in the next week or two and getting the fabrication work done towards the end of October, Then it'll be on the dyno to see what my old donk will do. A question for those who have done it. would there be any 'noticable' benefit to using adjustable cam gears on stock cams for an RB25det.

You can fit a adjustable exhaust cam gear for very slight gains. As for the intake you cant because of the vct.

The stock vct gear is adjustable, but from the back. You have to take it off to adjust it.

I made a thing so it can be adjusted from the front, then found out it had already been made by others years ago and isn't much use anyway.

Edited by Ben C34

recieved my ATR43ss2 today, can't wait to get it fabricated up. One question, the CHRA has four waterfeed/returns. 2 have bolts in them and the other 2 plastic bungs...how should i hook these up properly?

oil feed from block

oil return to sump

water in

water out

just follow the stock lines easy, I hope you've asked for Tao's optional oil feed line.. makes fitting much easier.

I also bought the Kando dim sim yum cha braided water line set off eBay - makes fitting much easier than using the stock lines.

yeah i've taken the plugs off...one is shallow which i think is return and one is deep which i think is feed. I'm guessing this is so the turbo can be mounted on either side of the engine e.g for exhaust on other side of engine like toyota.

With the plug supplied, plug up two of the holes and connect waters to any of the two that are open. Alternatively you can remove the plug and run it oil cooled only. The thread fitting on them is M14x1.5

• Like 1

Spent some time this weekend evaluating the SS Alpha turbos on the GTR. First thing to notice is the Rb26dett engine do require an large exhaust side to run, It chocked the engine after 5000RPM using the combination of the SS2 turbine wheel in .82 housing.

slss3front.jpg

it was replaced it with an large 76mm turbine that I've made for high flows, that worked pretty sweet. The engine bay was noticeably cooler also.

turbo.jpg

Looking abit more serious now :rolleyes: .

carfront.jpg

podon.jpg

Because the effect of quart throttle, the car has an throw-out effect on throttle movement, this makes an laggy turbo feels not as obvious. The VNT system have made an noticeable torque increase down low, especially on partial throttle opening. This is a bigger turbo compare to the Sl20.5, but definitely feels more responsive to drive. Be interested to see what the dyno says in about a week, I'm currently waiting for some coil packs to turn up from Japan.