SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

I've got the older (2008) ML Mitsubishi Triton - 3.2L auto with factory chip 132kw and 420nm 2300kg tow rating. Happily pulls the skyline on a tandem trailer with full steel deck (i.e. heavy ass trailer) at any speed required. Only gripe is the 4 speed auto isn't quite geared right for hilly NZ roads, sometimes seems like it wants another gear between 3rd and 4th up hills.

Can be had pretty cheap these days with reasonable kms on the clock.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a set of Bilstein dampers fitted to the Challenger about a week ago, ride is much better and certainly more compliant. Better than a euro now :)

• 2 weeks later...

As promised here is my towing report using the Challenger to PI and back. Tows fine, no problems there. Just keep in mind that it has a 2.5 liter TD with a torque reduced auto transmission. But stuck her on cruise control and it delivered 11.6 l/100 average over 1720k of varied road and traffic conditions, from 110kph down.

A Jeep forum may be the go for the Cherokee, good luck.

Falcons have been mentioned here a lot, had a chat at PI with two mature age WA blokes who had towed their Z cars over with latish model Falcon utes. One a six, the other a V8. Both were happy and will do it again, that's a pretty big plus for ye olde Falcon.

Friend towed his Cortina to the historics at Bathurst over Easter in his SS Crewman. Averaged 12.5L/100km. Didnt think it was too bad and is a very comfortable ride with tray space for tyres and tools. They go pretty cheap now too

A real tow car test is 110kph* down hill on a winding road when you have to brake to avoid the revenue raisers, if the tow car ignores the tail trying to wag the dog then it's good.

* legal speed limit, which always makes sense and is safest. Govco dickheads.

A real tow car test is 110kph* down hill on a winding road when you have to brake to avoid the revenue raisers, if the tow car ignores the tail trying to wag the dog then it's good.

I went from hydraulic to electric brakes on both axles and i have not had the " wagging tail " problem since :)

Airbags are going in as the 22yr old springs don't like the wieght ., I have done 100,000kms of hassle free towing with the old 4.2 turbo diesel

485297_633030303380162_844960270_n.jpg

What electric brake kit did you go for Brenden as I'm considering putting one in my AU wagon soon.

Tekonsha Voyager controller in the car , easy to use while driving .

so the santa fe had its first towing trip.

managed 9.2L per 100 down to Wakefield from Gosford. 280kms

some times I had to remind myself i was towing however the noise did remind me.

being a wagon the noise from the hitch was quite loud going over bumps and stuff. in the commodore no where near as loud.

coming back managed 9.7L per 100 as the stupid M2 had road works and of all the traffic lights from M2 to F3 I got 95% of them as red lights haha

Is anyone using a Toyota prado for towing with?

I'm looking at upgrading my old pajero to an 07-08 prado with the d-4d common rail turbo diesel with the 5 speed auto to tow my r33 gtst with.

Is anyone using a Toyota prado for towing with?

I'm looking at upgrading my old pajero to an 07-08 prado with the d-4d common rail turbo diesel with the 5 speed auto to tow my r33 gtst with.

Plenty of folks have and I'm sure they'd be just fine.

so the santa fe had its first towing trip.

managed 9.2L per 100 down to Wakefield from Gosford. 280kms

some times I had to remind myself i was towing however the noise did remind me.

being a wagon the noise from the hitch was quite loud going over bumps and stuff. in the commodore no where near as loud.

coming back managed 9.7L per 100 as the stupid M2 had road works and of all the traffic lights from M2 to F3 I got 95% of them as red lights haha

Sounds promising!

Is the the hitch "tongue square" or the ball/trailer that's noisy? A bit of fiddling can get rid of a lot of that.

Bolt/nut for the hitch square to take the slop out, and tighten the trailer hitch adjustment over the ball.

Very good economy!