SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

Go the landcruiser! I have a 100 series petrol V8 and it averages 16.5lts/100km's.

That average includes towing my silvia to and from the track for 9 events last year, EC and Wakie.

Obviously, the turbo diesel would be better, but I love the landcuiser.

They hate stopping and cornering...Dont do it.

Even the larger brakes on the 4.8 arent confidence inspiring enough to warrant a huge increase in performance.

Go the old school route with a nice header/zorst system and a tune on an aftermarket ecu. A handy but not ridiculous power increase and way better economy.

• Nope 1

I just picked up an 2006 ST patrol ute (last year of the 4.2td) for low $30's with 155km on the clock. Has a few extras, but was defiantly steel for the price.

I was looking into a new D40 but couldn't let this one go by :)

HAs anyone used one of those big diesel vans (like a VW transporter)as a tow car? Its time to trade the Crewman and an enclosed van would be pretty good for work. But will it tow ??

I Like the idea, They do have quite a heavy pay load and are a full chassis vehicle so I guess the only question would be Power. Do they have enough.

• Nope 1

I'm sticking with my ef falcon wagon,,,till she dies and then another of new vintage.

Screw all this talk about 4ws's.

Cheers

Neil.

yeah this is what I'm towing with. It's fantastic. XR6T manual. Clutch will go earlier as a result but I don't care. Hate 4WD's for driving around town. Without a trailer this puppy does a 13.3 quarter mile :) With a trailer and 32 I reckon about 20ish? It really pulls! haha

post-10715-0-01643500-1296461575_thumb.jpg

my mate has a ford f250 ute newish model paid $60,000 for it about a month ago i think its a 7.3 ltr v8 turbo diesel its got a chip and gt35r and when i drove it the farken thing smoked 1st, 2nd, chirped 3rd f**ken animal towed his car trailer and my liberty with ease and he had some dirty cops on the back, if your intersted he is selling it for 50G. Otherwise a patrol about to use one to tow my new 32 back on thursday wouldnt use anything else!

russman, what fuel econ are you getting towing with the turbo falcon?

Without towing it ranges from 9.8 to 16ish. highway and round town.

Towing best Ive seen was about 16 on the hume going 110 for 2 hours. Still a few climbs in that though. Probably expect average of 20ltr/100 so yeah not that economical when it's pretty much always on boost.

But yeah get one. Haha. they're incredible

yeah this is what I'm towing with. It's fantastic. XR6T manual. Clutch will go earlier as a result but I don't care. Hate 4WD's for driving around town. Without a trailer this puppy does a 13.3 quarter mile :) With a trailer and 32 I reckon about 20ish? It really pulls! haha

it doesn't look fantastic! It looks like the towbar download rating (120kg) has been exceeded by quite some margin. And probably the max rear axle load judging by the way its sitting.

Nevermind the manual 1200kg towing capacity, you'd have to be pushing the boundaries of the auto's 1600kg towing capacity - you can't get the 2300kg towing pack on the XR6T. So even if its a fairly light trailer - say 550kg, that only leaves 1050kg for the car, tyres etc. Less if it has the optional 19s.

Wouldn't recommend this as a tow car. Get the non XR6T models with the optional 2300kg towing pack unless you have a sub 1000kg track car.

you can get the 2300kg kit on the xr6t automatic and they are rated or at least the g6e turbo automatic is.

The manual i think is only rated @ 1600kg which might be where the confusion has come from?

I have literally just purchased a g6e turbo with the 2300kg kit fitted today and putting on some load leveling bars as well as the elec. brake controller.

7.9ltr per 100klm driving back from Canberra today, hopefully not to worse then what i was getting with the commodore although i guess i will find out weekend after next after towing the car down to Melb.

it doesn't look fantastic! It looks like the towbar download rating (120kg) has been exceeded by quite some margin. And probably the max rear axle load judging by the way its sitting.

Nevermind the manual 1200kg towing capacity, you'd have to be pushing the boundaries of the auto's 1600kg towing capacity - you can't get the 2300kg towing pack on the XR6T. So even if its a fairly light trailer - say 550kg, that only leaves 1050kg for the car, tyres etc. Less if it has the optional 19s.

Wouldn't recommend this as a tow car. Get the non XR6T models with the optional 2300kg towing pack unless you have a sub 1000kg track car.

Whatever. I'm aware of the legal towing limits. Works for me when I use it for a tow car 6-8 times a year. I prefer it to 4WD's as there is much less tyre flex. Speed wobbles in a patrol at 100k/h wasn't fun. I've got my hands on load leveling bars so will give that a try sometime soon.

BTW the car at the time sitted only marginally higher so it's not as loaded as it looks. But lowered cars would probably frowned apon here as well as that's illegal too. Lighten up.