SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

I tow with my D40 Navara 2.5td manual, it rocks, fuel consumption is heaps good on highway runs, normal non towing I get 10L/100ks and when towing I can get 14L/100 maybe more if its alot of around town towing...

comfortable and drives good and handles 4WDing prett well just needs a lift kit if your into 4wd heaps...

stx or st model for all the interior electrics...

you can buy mine off me for $20K, I want to get a brand new one...

Lmfao :)..... yeah don't listen to me, but I maintain a 3.0l pootrol is appalling, and yes I've driven them. A td pajero would in fact wipe the floor with one.

Not sure why you'd want such a truck (pootrol) for a mere 2500kg?

Lmfao :)..... yeah don't listen to me, but I maintain a 3.0l pootrol is appalling, and yes I've driven them. A td pajero would in fact wipe the floor with one.

Not sure why you'd want such a truck (pootrol) for a mere 2500kg?

Bang on Marlin. I am on my 7th patrol and boy am i glad I avoided the shitbox 4 cylinder. Biggest mistake nissan ever made.

Fwiw Mark my current patrol is the 4.8 petrol variant. Paid plenty for it when I first bought it but you can pick them up for dirt these days. Initially I couldnt live with the fuel economy. It was shit but some minor mods saw a marked improvement. A good header system with a 2 & 1/4 inch exhaust , and a dyno tune with an after market ecu saw not ony a huge improvement in fuel useage but a nice gain in grunt to boot. Mine is the TI variant so it has all the frilly bits to make it a civilised place to spend your time. Seats are marginal but other than that it has all the fruit.

As my work vehicle it works its arse off most days towing my tradey trailer and some heavy loads and when it isnt working it gets its arse thrashed off. Nothing slows it down to any degree including a heavy arsed hire trailer with the skyline on board and economy doesnt vary by as much as I thought it would between towing and non towing.

The tiptronic box has never complained in 5 hard years and like all my patrols before this one all you can spend on it is the usual service items and a brake pad change at around 80 k intervals.

Highly reccomended.

• Nope 1

very hard to find the 4.2 TD's out there!

am looking at a 99 GU 4.5L Petrol Pootrol Ti with extremely low km's offered to me by the dealer who sold me the R35. Damn thing is like new inside and out. tempted...

If or closer to 10 than 20 grab it up Handbrake.

I sold a '98 ST 4500 petrol manual done under 100k for 14k in 2005 so a similar Ti couldn't be worth any more now surely?

Still a lot of truck , If you need that much truck.

Can't legally tow 2500.

Capable, yes. Legal? No. :(

my truck can legally tow 2.5T, as long as its braked, it says it on the tow bar and on the inside of the door.... i dont no what you are talking about.....

and yeap they are super hard to find in a 42tdi, it took me ages to find my one, i traveled to get it and payed the price for it, but in the end i got the best truck i could buy and i love it, takes the load for work, gose well, dosent drink fuel like my old Navara (4L v6), and tows the GTR like a dream. plus i got the ST model so its got all the electrics inside plus the carpet and sounds deader, and most of all Coil springs all round!!! not many utes that run that!! and if your worried about taking weight you just pump up the air bags with the on board compressor

: D

oh yea, and the 3L patrol.... = fail hense why people go here http://www.brunswickdiesels.com.au/new/stories.php

6.5L Chevy!!!!! you can get the NA version or you can get the TD version..... i kinda wish i brought the 3L and got the conversion.... woulda came in at the same price basicly

If or closer to 10 than 20 grab it up Handbrake.

I sold a '98 ST 4500 petrol manual done under 100k for 14k in 2005 so a similar Ti couldn't be worth any more now surely?

Still a lot of truck , If you need that much truck.

The 99 Ti GU has 14,300km on it. Japanese businessman owned it. locked in his gold coast 'mansion' - only drove to church once a year sort of thing with no off road use. apparently even smells new. the dealer selling it sold it to him originally.

will check it out. They are a major nissan dealer (nissan HPC) so their vouching for the Km's being genuine must mean something. I guess I will know when I see it.

do I need that much truck? Thinking of towing the 2.5 tonne worth of GTR and extras around 12-20 times a year and maybe some interstate trips. might even take it off road too. I don't know what would scare the sh#t out of my wife more. a track session in the R35 or an off road session in a 4WD.

gallery_56949_4119_12070.jpg

Ummmmm, was replying to the Crewman suggestion champ ;)

Yer they can Ben, they use the one tonner diff and the larger trans cooler from factory that is why I purchased it. It is only for the auto though the manuals can only tow 1600kg???

You guys know this, but at 2500kg GTM (gross trailer mass), you need to have 4 wheel braking on the trailer, and a separate breakaway braking system. I don't know of any hire trailers that have these features, as they are all rated to 2 tonne GTM.

Without this, you're towing illegally regardless of what your towing vehicle is rated to tow.

Just sayin'

and yeap they are super hard to find in a 42tdi, it took me ages to find my one, i traveled to get it and payed the price for it, but in the end i got the best truck i could buy and i love it, takes the load for work, gose well, dosent drink fuel like my old Navara (4L v6), and tows the GTR like a dream. plus i got the ST model so its got all the electrics inside plus the carpet and sounds deader, and most of all Coil springs all round!!! not many utes that run that!! and if your worried about taking weight you just pump up the air bags with the on board compressor

: D

in the utes? all the cab-chassis are 4.2 until 2007/8 when they no longer met emissions and got the 3.0. And they were all tdi from 2002. Its the wagons that are hard to find in 4.2 and cost twice what they're worth. I've seen 2yo seconhand ones with 100,000km on them for more than a brand new 3.0! piss off.

If you don't want the 3.0 (which don't fail anymore than Pajero DiDs, for example) then the petrol on gas is the go. 4.2 GU Wagons are a complete rip off and the slowest lump of a 4WD you can buy. You'd be far better off buying a 100 series 4.2 turbo Landcruiser.

Edited by hrd-hr30