SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

I use a VT calais to tow my car. I'm a broke arse apprentice so I can afford anything fancy yet. It does the job just fine, I've towed my car interstate and to about 20 track days at QR (about 200km round trip) and haven't had a problem except the damn fuel cap snapping off. It uses abut 16L/100km towing through heavy traffic areas, not too bad.

l_08c6d3e5de5c490a809f87cc7b3e3f58.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Phillip Island driving to sydney and managed 13.6ltr/100klm in the VZ V6 sedan with a full set tools, wheels, spares, jack and with 2 ppl in the car. Stuck to the speed limit or a little above including the a run through peak hour traffic in Melb.

Matt

Just got back from Phillip Island driving to sydney and managed 13.6ltr/100klm in the VZ V6 sedan with a full set tools, wheels, spares, jack and with 2 ppl in the car. Stuck to the speed limit or a little above including the a run through peak hour traffic in Melb.

Matt

...and with a 1:48sec detour around PIin the S14! Thats allowing for the 37 cars you had to overtake on your hotlap :(

LOL

It's funny how in Vic they run 26 cars on the track in a super sprint, makes it very hard to get a clean lap but plenty of overtaking action at the start as you try and get a good position. Not sure i was getting as good fuel enconmy in the nissan as i was in the commadore though.

running a prado v6 4 litre now

16 litre -100 towwing has some grunt and tows well

i have to fight the soccer mums off when i go to maccas as well.. prado does something to middle aged women( its scary)

seats are more comfortable than the patrol

cant wait till the new patrol comes out so i can get some vk56 300+kw towing action happening!

running a prado v6 4 litre now

16 litre -100 towwing has some grunt and tows well

i have to fight the soccer mums off when i go to maccas as well.. prado does something to middle aged women( its scary)

seats are more comfortable than the patrol

cant wait till the new patrol comes out so i can get some vk56 300+kw towing action happening!

.... fatz you temporary traitor!

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

i was going to start my own thread but didnt think it was required when I sore this one...

Im looking for a vehicle to tow my r34 gtr vspec and also be a daily driver... I was looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee as they can found for around $10k and have the higher tow rating up to 2,9850kg...

My car weights 1560kg or thereabouts as thats quoted for a standard one... so I have a couple of questions..

1. How much does the average car trailer weigh? (As I need to add this weight to my car weight when looking at tow loads and also when looking at tow vehicle as i believe it is illegal to use a tow vehicle that weigh's less then your total towing weight?)

2. Where have people in Sydney hired car trailers from as I googled it and didn't get much help.. found uhaul but their car trailers only support up to 1200kg.

3. for around 10k what towing vehicles would you recommend?

Would love to hear from other people who have towed r34 gtr's as their experiences would match my requirements lol but any input greatly appreciated.

A v8 Grand in this price bracket really is hard to beat, especially if you want to daily drive it too.

I don't care what anyone says, they're good things. Avoid diesel versions, and try to find a HO Limited. Condition is more important than klm.

Mine and most car trailers weigh around 600kg.

Buy your own trailer mate, the hire ones are death traps....would only use them for emergencies. $2-4k for a trailer.

Don't forget when considering loads that it is car + trailer + petrol (heaps of jerry cans) + tools + people in the car etc etc. Really adds up, I guess mine is 4.5t all up loaded

1. How much does the average car trailer weigh?
500-600kg, although the hire ones are usually closer to 900kg
i believe it is illegal to use a tow vehicle that weigh's less then your total towing weight?
Only if the vehicle doesn't have an official towing rating. almost everything these days does, and you can saffely and legally tow more than the weight of the towing vehicle if the towing vehicle is designed for it.

Remember also that once your total towed weight goes over 2000kg, you need 4 wheel brakes on the trailer, with a break away braking system.

For $2k you might get a rough second handie if you're lucky. To get something like what you need for towing a heavy car like the GTR, bank on $5k+ for a new trailer (a good one) or at least $4 for a good second hand one that doesn't need a complte rebuild. I;ve been down both paths and can say that buying a purpose built trailer to my own specs was the best decision I made.

Oh, and I note the new Pathfinder has 140kW and 450Nm - not a bad upgrade for the little diesel. If only I could get the Ti in a manual without the sunroof i'd trade mine in a flash.

Edited by warps

Lookin good Fatz :banana:

We too have done a bit of towing lately, brisbane to Townsville and return last month, around 1500klm each way and fully loaded tools etc averaged 19l/100klm. Not too shabby for a 5.7l with 250kw/500nm. Needs a bigger tank for more range though. 75 liters sucks.

I think from memory my 6L ute got 14L/100km last trip to Wakefield. Coming home despite being downhill (uses cylinder deactivation heaps more which results in 7-10l/100km) I tend to use more fuel because of the extra overtaking.

I had the joy of towing with my work rodeo last outing.

Chassis seemed pretty happy but god the 3.5l petrol engine and the auto box behind it were woeful. Gutless and pathetic at picking the right gear/staying out of lock up, even manually selecting gears seemed to be more of a suggestion than actually getting it to do what i wanted. And brakes are shit too...

It's thirsty at the best of times but i reckon it went through 70+ litres from campbelltown to wakefield and back, don't have a true figure as i chucked in a spare 20L from a jerry can before leaving to save a stop at a servo on the way home.

Yeh those petrol Rodeos suck the juice, don't they? We used one as a service vehicle in a rally years ago, and on the drive to the rally (about 250km) the Rodeo (loaded with a few tools and spares) used more fuel than my XR6 ute did with a 2 tonne trailer on the back of it.

yea the old prado seems pretty good

the 180 litre tank makes it less painful cause you can bust out 1200 in a go

if it was only 70 litres i would sell is cause you would be constatly filling up

my old patrol on gas did 30 litres per 100 and it felt like every town you were filling up

if it was only 70 litres i would sell is cause you would be constatly filling up

my old patrol on gas did 30 litres per 100 and it felt like every town you were filling up

Thankfully I chuck my old man in the car/trailer combo, while I fly :blink: But yes, stopping every few hours shits you, regardless of what the roadside "stop/revive/survive" says.

Fark me Fatz, I burn less than 20 litres per 100 towing with the 4.8 patrol. Can make syudney on 1 tank.

• Nope 1