SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

Anyone got any feedback on early 2000 model Pajeros or Prados? petrol only. no interest in diesel. they both tick the boxes for me just dont know anyone with a prado that age.

and NFW im getting a euro 4x4. i work on these things all the time. anyone that recommends a range rover for anything needs to spend a day in a range rover workshop.

yea 2003 prado here and its a winner for towing, not as good as a patrol or crusier but far more comfortable and comes with a beer fridge standard!

for sale soon as i will be upgrading to something slightly newer/faster

Both are fine Damo with a couple ofnotes worth mentioning.

Mitsi - typical issues with lifter noise (only noisy) if poorly serviced or incorrectly oiled.

Yoda - if you do any beach work with the V6 expect to replace starter motors far too often (poor design suprisingly overlooked by Toyota).

As Fatz said, neither tow quite as well as a 'cruiser or Patrol, but are more car-like for the daily commute.

O btw I took a new 6 spd 3.2 ltr ranger for a spin very nice car for the price would make a nice rig.

will tow 3.5t too.

Brothers mate bought a new jeep 5-6 weeks back, factory hadn't tightened one of his pulleys (dont recall which one) which came loose & wore a huge groove in the block. Que 3 week wait for parts as they refused to remove parts from current stock or replace car (about 10 days old at this point!)& best they'd do was an omega loan car. Suffice to say he wasn't impressed...

Brothers mate bought a new jeep 5-6 weeks back, factory hadn't tightened one of his pulleys (dont recall which one) which came loose & wore a huge groove in the block. Que 3 week wait for parts as they refused to remove parts from current stock or replace car (about 10 days old at this point!)& best they'd do was an omega loan car. Suffice to say he wasn't impressed...

Really! I'm super interested to find out what engine he has mate? Can you advise?

Really! I'm super interested to find out what engine he has mate? Can you advise?

pretty sure he had the 6. Believe he's got a few threads up on the jeep forums about it so maybe have a quick search to confirm

What Ryan forgot to mention was that my VX Berlina V6 towing my MX5 race car beat his VY SS V8 towing his R33 at a set of lights!!

slowest. dragrace. ever!

But I had too much wheel spin off the line and had to back out of it.

Lol yes slowest drag race eva. Good times.

Nothing funnier than a car pulling beside you at a set of lights on the way home from Wakefield only to leave them for dead whilst towing a trailer :)

Nothing funnier than a car pulling beside you at a set of lights on the way home from Wakefield only to leave them for dead whilst towing a trailer :)

Easy for you when you have 300 kw and are towing less than a tonne hehe jealous i am.

• 2 months later...

I just built this for towing my race car to a few long distance events , i'm building the 'box' that i pulled off the back of it into a trailer for parts etc :) , it's incomplete in the pics . tow's so much better than any 4x4 i've used (and there's been a few)

post-20231-0-97173500-1325262771_thumb.jpg

post-20231-0-86456600-1325262818_thumb.jpg

The more I race the more I realise the prado isn't the ideal tow car.

The 2012 amarok is coming out with the tourag 8 speed auto which will see me step up to the plate.

That way I can throw a drum or two of e85 in the tray with spare wheels and tools etc.

Might need to do airbags in the rear though.

420nm and 3200kg towing capacity. If you need more just chip it.

My current tow vehicle may be forsale in the new year.

6.6L turbo diesel. 420bhp 1400nm. Has a 9 tonne load capacity, 6.2x2.5m storage area with 2.5T loader for getting cars in.

Tire racks, under belly 400L E85 tank, water tank, tool boxes, work bench. 240v inverter power and mains power 6x fluro lights, internal strapping system, 5T winch, towbar.

Can't go past a big ass truck so I was considering an upgrade to a V8 cummins powered truck that will carry two cars internally.