SAU Community

Why Are R34 Gt-r Still So Expensive

People who owns one thinks their car is worth a million dollars, while people who are looking to buy one believes it's worth 2 cents (but once they buy one, it's worth a million dollars).

So what's the real world value of these cars? Although there is no definitive answer to that question, a general consensus is that a car is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for.

Btw, that yellow V Spec for 40k sounds like a great buy, BUT you never know unless it's inspected. It could be the biggest piece of shit, or it could be the best bargain in the world.

the problem with these overpriced R34 GTRs is exactly that

they have sat there for sale for the last 6 months AND will continue to sit there for sale UNTIL the seller finally gets sick of the car he loves so much OR starts getting desperate and will lower the price accordingly.

in the meantime they'll just sit there being archived to the back of the list. throughout the two years of owning my R33 i was constantly eye balling carsales for a R34 GTR upgrade. and some of them had been up for over a year. and they'll continue to sit there till they drop.

quick word of advice too.

NO car for sale on carsales sells for its listed price. and if you do buy it for the listed price you're either an idiot or you've just got too much money to burn.

Yeah, but you bought a current model Subaru WRX sedan. As a direct result of this, your opinions on any matters relating to cars is irrelevant.

People who owns one thinks their car is worth a million dollars, while people who are looking to buy one believes it's worth 2 cents (but once they buy one, it's worth a million dollars).

HAHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Luv it :angry: ^^^^

Had a patient once who's half Greek & half Lebanese.

The Greek part of the family were good at trying to buy a '2 million dollar car' for 2 cents.

The Lebanese part of the family were good at converting a '2 cent car' into something that looks '2 million dollars' and palm it off.

And SHE won't buy a car from either ! :( ^^^^

Yeah, but you bought a current model Subaru WRX sedan. As a direct result of this, your opinions on any matters relating to cars is irrelevant.

i wouldnt be dissing the new gen WRXs

for a street oriented car they're a lot quicker than what people think. motor mag recently did an article on the MY09 the car reeled off 0-100 in 5.6, 13.6 quarter and a 1 min 11 around wakefield ALL IN THE WET. for a stock standard car the thing is fast. i had a Gtech in my R33 and these straight line times are definitely not a myth the car launches extremely hard when you get it right.

its not a hardcore track car definitely wasn't intended to be so quick around a track as its design purpose is more for day to day pracitcality and street use (hence why i bought one).

but you can't argue with the facts. i was going to buy an evo 9 however the WRX was better in stock form in every single aspect bar the suspension. the interior in the EVO 9 is still so shiit and wasn't a huge "upgrade" from my R33 interior which was a big turn off. suspension in the 9 was still hard, there is no sunroof option too, plus buying an older car thats been thrashed for the same money didnt gel well in my books. but for me the cars only pitfall being the suspension is actually a plus in my case. i like the softer suspension for day to day use. i got over the hard suspension in my skyline (also a daily driver). i had no intension for any track work at all with this new car. for the street the rex has rediculous performance both handling/engine. only notice its suspension/braking faults when you hit the track which will most likely never happen for me.

dont buy one if you do intend on doing a lot of track work but its good to know it can hold its own. an evo X VS MY08 Sti comparison last year the 08 Sti with the same driver managed 1:09 in the DRY at Wakefield. so the soft wrx sedan can definitely hold its own if need be. not trying to defend my purchase just relaying the facts.

but back on topic X 2 the yellow GTR seems very cheap. in the couple years i was looking for them there were some cheaper GTRs (and by cheaper i mean there was a 10 grand difference between stock standard examples with the same k's, year etc) but i would'nt be holding my breath for the inspection. my advice find one thats as stock standard as possible then have it inspected. a lot of imports are also dressed down (parts removed) during the importation process so the car's former life is very hard to read even with an inspection. i fell into this problem with my R33.

Edited by DrewII
  • Like 1

i wouldnt be dissing the new gen WRXs

I would. The car is the definition of fkn ugly, and its interior is so unimaginative it is beyond belief.... the only car uglier is the Ssangyong stavic. I cant understand how anyone could buy it and anyone who does I cant listen to them try justify their purchase let alone talk about any other car.

Q You know that R34 GTRs are still holding their value. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted this thread. Had you thought of importing one yourself as in the post above?

Reason:- Not long ago, an SAUer in Vic was offered $68K for his '99 VS II (by another SAUer from WA) and knocked it back. And he's not the only example = I know!

Come on that has to be the most far fetched thing i have heard. Firstly anyone willing to pay that much for a GTR has more money than sense. There are so many R34 GTR's on car sales which are sitting there and have not been bought. Put all the bullshit aside and just realise that they are not worth what the people are asking. Remember somethings only worth what another is willing to pay for it, we are not talking about sentimental value here. I am in the market for a R34 GTR, although based on what I am seeing it would be far more profitable waiting 6 months or so for a bargain.

the r34 gtr i dont think will ever drop below $40000, r32s have started to rise, and r33s will when the r32s become more expensive.. they dont make the gtr like that anymore so they are a limited run.. the more idiots that get a hold of them and crash them or molest them with stupid bodykits and paint will only force the price higher and higher.. noone will want to buy something that has been touched so those cars will be sold cheap and crashed by some young hoon no doubt.

If you seriously think that R34's will not drop below $40,000 you are dreaming. People have imported them for below $40,000 so im sure the domestic market will eventually catch up and they will drop below this point. Im sure in 5 or so years to come you will be able to buy R34 GTR's for $30,000 or less. They are simply not collectors cars and by no means hold their value, not yet anyways.

Come on that has to be the most far fetched thing i have heard. Firstly anyone willing to pay that much for a GTR has more money than sense. There are so many R34 GTR's on car sales which are sitting there and have not been bought. Put all the bullshit aside and just realise that they are not worth what the people are asking. Remember somethings only worth what another is willing to pay for it, we are not talking about sentimental value here. I am in the market for a R34 GTR, although based on what I am seeing it would be far more profitable waiting 6 months or so for a bargain.

If you seriously think that R34's will not drop below $40,000 you are dreaming. People have imported them for below $40,000 so im sure the domestic market will eventually catch up and they will drop below this point. Im sure in 5 or so years to come you will be able to buy R34 GTR's for $30,000 or less. They are simply not collectors cars and by no means hold their value, not yet anyways.

I had an offer (serious one) for my 02 vs2 of 69k about 9 months ago; no bs here.

YOU dont own one so you want to think they are overpriced...just like mxfly said.

depreciation will occur over time but there is a threshold, you can have a 99 r34 (non-vspec/vs2) for 40k im sure

Personally im not too worried about depreciation cos i plan to keep mine for many years.

lahtazzz cheapskate

Johnny: A well conditioned BLACK V-SPEC II will fetch somewhere above 65k easily. I reckon black is the most sought after colour and also the most highly priced. BTW, very nice car and choice.

The non vspec and vspec on the other hand are somewhat the same in price and its really just dependent on condition.

Edited by Brandon

I had an offer (serious one) for my 02 vs2 of 69k about 9 months ago; no bs here.

YOU dont own one so you want to think they are overpriced...just like mxfly said.

depreciation will occur over time but there is a threshold, you can have a 99 r34 (non-vspec/vs2) for 40k im sure

Personally im not too worried about depreciation cos i plan to keep mine for many years.

lahtazzz cheapskate

So what if i dont own one? i just stated my reason for not getting into one at the moment.

Cheap skate? Yeah haha buddy you seem to know so much about me

Johnny: A well conditioned BLACK V-SPEC II will fetch somewhere above 65k easily. I reckon black is the most sought after colour and also the most highly priced. BTW, very nice car and choice.

The non vspec and vspec on the other hand are somewhat the same in price and its really just dependent on condition.

thanks man, took me a while to find n import my car; i hope it will give me many years of excitement like your car is giving you im sure.

jst wanted to comment on cheapskate calling bulshiet to people getting offers of 60+ for excellent examples

So what if i dont own one? i just stated my reason for not getting into one at the moment.

Cheap skate? Yeah haha buddy you seem to know so much about me

im not your buddy cheapskate n i said lahtazzz, dont need a reply from you.

Croat: Fine and good examples of GTRs are consistently snapped up at what they're worth. I remembered sometime last yr when I was in the market for a vspec 2/m spec (before I decided to buy a house and get 33 instead) and I saw this black 200x (forgot the yr) v-spec 2 going for 69k which was at the upper range of that variant (to me). True enough the owner figured that that might be a lil steep for most people and he might be in a rush to sell it decided to lower it to 64900. I checked it out and the owner was not keen in going any lower than 64k but it was sold within 1month after lowering.

This is not just the only case, when I was searching for the 33, I've seen 3 others before this 1 (all range below 28k) and let me tell you, someone who doesnt have the time and knowledge or even money to spend to get these GTRs up to standard will not even bother looking at them twice because thats how bad they are to me. And mine was probably posted on carsale for 1month or so before it was sold (a mate of mine who was looking for a 33 during that time told me if I hadnt buy that he was going to and he ended up getting a series 3 from NSW). True that a lot of GTRs are up for sale and stay up for sale for a long time but seriously, those good ones will have no problem finding a buyer.

But I do agree with you, you might be able to get them cheaper in 6months time but definately not vspec 2/mspec/nur/n1/ etc. I still keep a look out on the auction (autosquare etc) and the only ones that are dropping are vspec and non vspec and not really by a lot. If you're thinking about car depreciating and keep postponing the buy, let me tell you, you'll never buy the car. Because every 6months and 1yr they WILL drop (cars generally dont appreciate and these cars we're talking about just seems to hold their value more than the others).

Croat: Fine and good examples of GTRs are consistently snapped up at what they're worth. I remembered sometime last yr when I was in the market for a vspec 2/m spec (before I decided to buy a house and get 33 instead) and I saw this black 200x (forgot the yr) v-spec 2 going for 69k which was at the upper range of that variant (to me). True enough the owner figured that that might be a lil steep for most people and he might be in a rush to sell it decided to lower it to 64900. I checked it out and the owner was not keen in going any lower than 64k but it was sold within 1month after lowering.

This is not just the only case, when I was searching for the 33, I've seen 3 others before this 1 (all range below 28k) and let me tell you, someone who doesnt have the time and knowledge or even money to spend to get these GTRs up to standard will not even bother looking at them twice because thats how bad they are to me. And mine was probably posted on carsale for 1month or so before it was sold (a mate of mine who was looking for a 33 during that time told me if I hadnt buy that he was going to and he ended up getting a series 3 from NSW). True that a lot of GTRs are up for sale and stay up for sale for a long time but seriously, those good ones will have no problem finding a buyer.

But I do agree with you, you might be able to get them cheaper in 6months time but definately not vspec 2/mspec/nur/n1/ etc. I still keep a look out on the auction (autosquare etc) and the only ones that are dropping are vspec and non vspec and not really by a lot. If you're thinking about car depreciating and keep postponing the buy, let me tell you, you'll never buy the car. Because every 6months and 1yr they WILL drop (cars generally dont appreciate and these cars we're talking about just seems to hold their value more than the others).

Great post with great advice for anyone shopping around - you know what your talking about Brandon!

Makes me want to list my car up on car sales to just move it, but then again i dont really want to let go. haha :blink:

Edited by KR4-GTR

Brandon yeah I understand what you are saying. Personally not in a major rush to buy another skyline after selling my last one, but I am sure that you do get the odd example selling for high figures if in perfect shape and generally low km's, just depends on who is buying.. Im sure some people are generally prepared to pay anything for the right car..

I sold mine for $60k, took less than a month to sell. First genuine buyer took it! I had a few young kids come around and ofcourse they are offering lower $$ they want a bargain, but a Vspec II is worth more than 60k, and a good one at that more. Mine was 2000 Vspec II, so one of the first, I think 60k was a good price and I didnt want to negotiate any further. He took it at that price. My car was mint condition and the best one I have seen out there so far. Not a scratch not a dent!

• 10 years later...

they weren't really that expensive the were 30,000 when they first started making skyline in general. but ever since paul walker  stared in fast and furious series it became more expensive for dedication because that was his most favourit and they do tributes, walk for walker etc. so it think thats why who here misses paul walker but knows he is here