SAU Community

Ben's R32 Gtst Build

sav man

this post says its a standard bottom end, pistons in the previous pictures of the bottom end look fairly standard and arent dome tops as i would expect in a high comp bottom end build.

no signs of a VCT mod that i can see (your "b-cam" was discussed before)

pictures of the head look to me like it has had a reasonable whack of meat taken off the bottom of it. if the car is running corn juice or race fuel only im thinking even higher than 10:1 11-12?

if thats not it at the moment im not sure what else it could be to give that big of a change

It used to be a 26 head... ??

First and last hot lap for the new engine, seems i have a high flow #2 piston :(

It was a rubbish lap too, I left the buggered tyres from Targa on the rear, as it always used to push. But it appears i've fixed the front end grip.

Geebuz Benny that's rotten news buddy! WTF happened? :(

And yeah, if that speed is reading true, you've got an outright contendeer there! The gearing is way different to mine too. I'm going to assume there's a technical setup glitch there somewhere?

Top speed was a big surprise. It's done via GPS, and is was getting data off 10 sats at the time. I'm pretty comfident it's accurate, the rpm vs gear calculates pretty close, and the lap time would indicate a good top speed since i stuffed the first corner so bad.

i'll have the engine out and head off tonight, but it looks like it might have been a clogged injector, as we test spreyed it at the track, and it didn't mist properly. #1 injector looked heaps better. I've been over the logs, and lambda was .71 at full noise, fuel pressure was 65psi, EGT was ~750 deg, and I couldn't hear it pinging (i've watched the video heaps of times to listen to it too). So i'm confused on what caused it.

What gearing do you have Ben? mine is a std RB20 box, and a std diff gearset (4.3 i think). unless a 4.11 got in there before I got it

I have stock 20 box, and I assume stock gears (4:3?). Yours looks a lot like 32GTR gearing, so maybe 4:11.

There's no doubt your thing looks to have some serious stonk :) Shame about the pesky injector :(

1:1 4th gear at approx 7,800 rpm shift I get 190klm/h.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BennyTheWoo?feature=mhee#p/u/15/M9L49eCE7RU

GPS so accurate hey? Fark me! I come on to the straight at PI at 170-80km/h and I hit 233km/h going downhill, on a very long straight with a short braking area as turn 1 is ~180k/h. Yet you hit the same speed on that lap! I need to pull my finger out and get the Cossie registered so the R32 can go corn juice and more boost :)

comparing data from targa to bens day at the track the extra torque is what helps it punch a whole thought the air. during targa with the not so grate engine it would just about go backwards in 5th. they seem to have a fair jump from 4th to 5th.

what ben has also not mentioned was the massive tail wind he had. haha

it wasnt a grate day for either of us. but my blown clutch is a lot easer than the engine swap, again!

The tail wind at symmons is worth some speed.

Got the engine open tonight. Looks like all the damage was caused by the tip of the spark plug that was missing. piston is full of dents the size of the missing piece, and the side is smashed out of the exhaust valve. Still need to work out why the tip came off