SAU Community

Finally Cracked A 1:16 At Op

Headed out for my 8th track day (in 3 months!) for Round #6 of the NSW sprints at Oran Park GP yesterday.

Running in class 2D, mods on the car are:

1. Willall mid pipe

2. Willall trans fluid

3. AP Rotors (front)

4. Ferodo DS2500 pads

5. RE55 tyres

Previous PB at OPGP was 1:17.2 and for most of the day the best i could manage was a 1:17.4

However on the final session i managed to nail a 1:16.9.

I am sure the car would go quicker in the hands of a pro but i'm pretty happy to get a "16" finally.

(even if it's a 16.90) :D

The '35 performed faultlessly all day, as it has in the last 8 track days, I havent had a single issue with it yet.

If only i could run a tune, those extra 60 awkw's would help!

The Ferodo DS2500 pads were a bit of an experiment; and to be frank they didnt have the bite of the Carbotech XP12's (that a lot of the guys in the States use) however the DS2500's seem to be very close to the stocker pads in terms of street behaviour and track performance. Probably not the best for outright performance but a) cheap and b) comfy on the street. I think i will stick with them.

Here is a clip of the 1:16.90 lap

Currently running first in type and class (2D) and 3rd outright.

next round is eastern creek in 3 weeks!

Edited by LSX-438

nice one mate! that's quicker than I've been around there in a 35. :P

The lap was good. there are a few spots you could probably gain a 1/10th or two but I reckon 16s are about as good as it'll get in a near stock 35. you should be very pleased. 16s around OP GP in any car is good. let alone a very standard road car that weighs so much. :nyaanyaa:

I am a bit more agressive I think too which may not be good. like you I do a nice short shift to 4th up the bridge but I was hard on it at the apex coming off the top of the bridge in massive slide, fun but not fast( acutally I may soetimes be holding 3rd there and hitting 4th after the exit off the bridge)! though you can be pretty hard it the gas there as the track widens so much you can just run it all the way out to the edge and it sets you up nicely for the S. the nature of the car is you can short shift a lot and save yourself the corner exit wheel spin in a few spots cause it just has so much midrange torque, just keep it in that sweet sport torque wise and it just piles on the acceleration. ;)

220 at the end of the straight is about right too so you are not giving away much if any power really to JDM cars I think. I didn't count the gears, were you keeping it in 5th on the straight or hitting 6th (edit: just listened, yes you hold 5th I think, good boy!)?

why no tune? warranty concerns?

nice one mate! that's quicker than I've been around there in a 35. :P

The lap was good. there are a few spots you could probably gain a 1/10th or two but I reckon 16s are about as good as it'll get in a near stock 35. you should be very pleased. 16s around OP GP in any car is good. let alone a very standard road car that weighs so much. ;)

I am a bit more agressive I think too which may not be good. like you I do a nice short shift to 4th up the bridge but I was hard on it at the apex coming off the top of the bridge in massive slide, fun but not fast( acutally I may soetimes be holding 3rd there and hitting 4th after the exit off the bridge)! though you can be pretty hard it the gas there as the track widens so much you can just run it all the way out to the edge and it sets you up nicely for the S. the nature of the car is you can short shift a lot and save yourself the corner exit wheel spin in a few spots cause it just has so much midrange torque, just keep it in that sweet sport torque wise and it just piles on the acceleration. :)

220 at the end of the straight is about right too so you are not giving away much if any power really to JDM cars I think. I didn't count the gears, were you keeping it in 5th on the straight or hitting 6th (edit: just listened, yes you hold 5th I think, good boy!)?

why no tune? warranty concerns?

to be frank i am not sure i have optimal gears down pat (most likely not) plus i keep trying different things which doesn't help. But 5th for the straight yep, and experimenting with 4th leading up to the bridge. I have a bunch of driftbox data which i should probably use to derive the "perfect lap" and stick to that. I can't run a tune because of the class i am in (2D) - turbo cars aren't allowed to run an aftermarket computer or non-factory calibration :nyaanyaa:

sorry if it's been asked before, but how did you get the telemetry into the video?

I use the driftbox/performance box data (high res GPS lap timer) which you can export to "trackvision" format. You then use trackvision software to synch up the video and data, trackvision then renders the video with the overlayed data. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. A little time consuming though.

Cool video, love the on screen stats. What's the deal with the left/right variables though? They seem to be around the wrong way if they are supposed to be relative to steering?

Cool video, love the on screen stats. What's the deal with the left/right variables though? They seem to be around the wrong way if they are supposed to be relative to steering?

Those are just a graphic representation of lateral and longitudinal g forces. I am not sure of the scale though. Just looking at the logs, it seems to be around 1.3 g's max (lateral) on some of the turns.

Absolutly awesome effort... Perfect video too...

Love the data overlay, its really good...

I dont think you were too aggressive, maybe hold 3rd a wee bit longer coming up over the bridge...

Dont be affraid to down shift later and faster and let the engine do some more breaking for you... I think you could easily pick up a few 10th's just being a little harder on it coming into the turns... After all with all the computers and AWD you wont compression stall...

You lines were pretty good, hard to comment tho as I've never been round that track only ever watched it on TV...

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for letting me sit in the R35..Your were pretty funny with your joke..I was to scared to try and open the door myself! :):D

Well done on your time! The GTR look great out there!

Here are some pics from the day and me with my massive smile..LOL :D I was doing Race Control for the Super Sprint but couldnt get any good pics of you on the track through the window cause you were to quick!

post-8051-1247519384_thumb.jpg

post-8051-1247519400_thumb.jpg

post-8051-1247519424_thumb.jpg

post-8051-1247519444_thumb.jpg

post-8051-1247519455_thumb.jpg

to be frank i am not sure i have optimal gears down pat (most likely not) plus i keep trying different things which doesn't help. But 5th for the straight yep, and experimenting with 4th leading up to the bridge. I have a bunch of driftbox data which i should probably use to derive the "perfect lap" and stick to that. I can't run a tune because of the class i am in (2D) - turbo cars aren't allowed to run an aftermarket computer or non-factory calibration :)

ahh of course. i'm not that familiar with 2D as I'm usually in SVD and have only ever run pretty much bone stock car in type 2.

I forgot to mention the on screen telemetry was very nice too. you're getting good value out of the driftbox and trackvision. it looks great and is such a good learning tool. :)

I've found the quickest laps in the 35 (for me) are those where i dont understeer/oversteer or need too many corrections.

Plow into a turn too hot and need a decent correction - lap time is toasted.

Probably because i am used to rwd (where instant reflex corrections were necessary; however it's probably the wrong thing to do with the R35) i think there must be a way to drive the 35 around aggressively, on the edge yet let it do its thing - use all of what the awd system has to offer. I just havent figured it out yet. Slowly deprogramming myself from my previous car (600hp munro).

just drive like a 10 year old would and see how you go.. sometimes u just gotta throw it and go :O(just ensure u got run off room + braking room just in case!!) small changes take too long for results, mix it up :blink: