SAU Community

The Cops Are Ramping It Up - Leave The Skyline At Home!

Spunky Munky

I have owned my 34 GTT for around 2 years, regularly drive it, and I don't know what is going on but i don't get any attention from the Police what so ever. My car is pretty much stock save for a turbo back exhaust and air pod.

I live in Doncaster, I go to University in Footscray, work shift work in the city which sees me going into and out of the city at random/peak periods, and I regularly visit my girlfriend who lives in Noble Park. So I would cover a lot of target area's for police targetting imports. As I am a shift worker I am generally driving around at night time, and I have only been pulled over once. Just worked the whole Christmas/NY period, and nothing. The one time I was pulled over was after I had just registered my car and was on my way to the hardware store to get screws to attach my number plates. Once I explained this to the officer (this was on Doncaster Rd) he said no worries, and then booted off to chase down this 33 which turned right onto middleborough.

The only other thing that happened was when I was driving city bound along the Eastern Freeway, I saw a police car coming up beside me, it then squeezed itself in front of me (a car was up my ass) and turned on the sirens and started slowing down and indicating left. So I pulled over behind them, get my licence out n all ready, and the policeman gets out of the drivers seat, looks at me really strangely for about 20 seconds, then himself and his partner go off and start looking up the trees that are on the side of the freeway. I sat there for about 30 seconds wondering wtf was going on, then slowly drove off. A very strange moment.

Apart from that, its only when the booze buses are set up, and have never had any grief from the Police.

Does anyone else find that they tend to sneak under the radar like this also? Or am I just the luckiest skyline driver in Melbourne?

*touches wood*

I hate to say it...but it's just luck and a matter of time. However, from what you've said - your car sounds as if it's stock as a rock...so you should have no worries. I don't mind the cops chasing me, it's the actual defect/infringement fine notices that follow that piss me off.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it...but it's just luck and a matter of time. However, from what you've said - your car sounds as if it's stock as a rock...so you should have no worries. I don't mind the cops chasing me, it's the actual defect/infringement fine notices that follow that piss me off.

hmmm... im with twennone, the last two years have been very quiet for me police wise, no defects, no blatent import bashing pull overs, you know i think it has a lot to do with the fact that i'm not a p-plater anymore, and i dont drive like a dickhead like i used to

My 180sx was FAR from stock, at one stage I was driving around with semi slicks and a cage, yet, I had only ever been pulled over once in the entire time I had been driving. Quite often drove it in Melbourne's western suburbs, the city, Carlton, Lygon St and had hardly any trouble.

By the sounds of it, your driving attitude is getting you into a lot of trouble, rather than the car you drive. Sounds like 'targetting imports' is your scapegoat for the real issue at hand. The way you drive.

Is it 3 or 4 pages now we've been waiting?

spunky pls help settle everyone's curiosity and post a photo of that fine pls otherwise i got a feeling this thread is finished

Sounds like 'targetting imports' is your scapegoat for the real issue at hand. The way you drive.

Exactly, I've been driving my skylines around for a while, always had one since 1999/2000ish and I think I've only been pulled over "randomly" a handful of times, mostly when I was on my P's many years ago. I'm always nice to them and respectful (start with a smile and a cheery good morning) and they do a quick check on rego etc and I'm off. I've lost 1 point in the last 10 years, which I'm guessing helps when they bring up my record.

I did have a newbie copper try to find a turbo and BOV on my N/A GTS in 2002 (think the exact term he used was "you think you're so smart... I'll give you the burger with the lot"), and did end up copping a "failed to indicate" fine, which I was more than happy to cop after the amount of laughs me and his supervising officer got out of him.

Exactly, I've been driving my skylines around for a while, always had one since 1999/2000ish and I think I've only been pulled over "randomly" a handful of times, mostly when I was on my P's many years ago. I'm always nice to them and respectful (start with a smile and a cheery good morning) and they do a quick check on rego etc and I'm off. I've lost 1 point in the last 10 years, which I'm guessing helps when they bring up my record.

I did have a newbie copper try to find a turbo and BOV on my N/A GTS in 2002 (think the exact term he used was "you think you're so smart... I'll give you the burger with the lot"), and did end up copping a "failed to indicate" fine, which I was more than happy to cop after the amount of laughs me and his supervising officer got out of him.

y would u be happy withpaying a bullshit fine when u should have just driven off with nothing? I wouldn't be happy with that

I got pulled over by a really nice cop recently, if he were a prick he could have defected me.

He just said, nice car, drive safe, sorry to keep you. I was polite throughout and asked him how his night was going and then we started discussing each others line of work! lol.

So it depends on your luck, I am always nice because it increases your chances of being let off. Some cops are actually nice guys

and yes some are pricks, but you should act in your best interests and that includes being nice to cops when pulled over. If you

act like a hero, your chance of being let off goes from say 20-30% to 0% real fast.

its a complete luck of the draw thing i'd say most of you are passing and seeing standard police cars its unlikely to be stopped by them as its not there division tmu on the other hand sole purpose is traffic/roads defects etc etc so cruising by a tmu and not been stopped is highly unlikely i agree they are only doing there jobs i dont drive like a dhead or do anything stupid but i always get stopped its just how it is, i think they do target imports and would happily admit it to you (refer back a few pages).

failing to indicate used to be a $50 fine and no points. not worth the trouble or the time lost contesting that.

I get what u mean there. But to clarify, did u actually fail to indicate or did he do u for that cos he had nothing to find on your car

I get what u mean there. But to clarify, did u actually fail to indicate or did he do u for that cos he had nothing to find on your car

to be honest i couldn't remember at the time, so i assume i didn't. definitely wasn't the reason he pulled me over for though, cos he pulled me over claiming i was speeding (after turning and travelling a city block). meh. this was 9 years ago, well over it now :)

Ok - SM is seemingly unwilling to come to the table with anything remotely close to proof... after 4-5 pages now.

Can't say i was overtly surprised.

So this thread serve's little purpose.

You all know the dangers, yet you all run the gauntlet. No more complaining about being the "victim" if you chose to drive obviously modified cars.

Go about your mods smartly, drive in a reasonable manner, suddnely you'll find your "issues" declining.