Townsville Skyline Owners

Gough R34 GT-T

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok guys now to prove whether this forum comes in handy... had my r33 in extreme for the day as i knew it had problems.... they have rung me back saying it would be cheaper to replace the engine than to fix it.... i have been driving it around for a few weeks and i know it has problems but replacing the whole engine seems a bit extreme to me.... Any of you know someone selling a rb25?.... anyone willing to come have a look at my rig and give an opinion?

Alright, first things:

1. Compression test- if the engine is having compression issues, this would be the most obvious route, start cylinder 6 and work forwards, the 6th cylinder is often the lean one

2. The turbo, if it's not getting boost, have you checked all the hose fittings/ vacuum lines for leaks?

Before you start going off replacing an engine, look for any possible reasons why the turbo may not be boosting

As for compression, if you do have an issue, than the engine would run like shit and you'd be struggling to drive it

It should idle rough, have poor fuel economy, blow more smoke, etc

There are a lot of possible reasons for why a turbo isn't boosting, but yes, first things first, ask for the compression test and ask them to tell you which cylinder is down first

otherwise, if you can provide more information on how this came about, other characteristics, then it's very hard to generalise without trying to break down more specifics on what the car's behaviour is like, i.e, how it idles? How does it drive normally? how does it drive under-revs/ load? does it stall at certain speeds?

Once we can start pin pointing the small things, you'll get a better idea of if you need a new engine? or whether or not it's as simply as a loose vacuum line, fault AFM, injector, etc...

Hope this helps mate, i'll keep an eye on this thread and help you out as much as i can

Yeah cheers... It hasnt been difficult to drive at all, idles a bit funny but doesnt stall or anything or blow any smoke. Have had a look myself for cracked hoses and pipes but cant find anything myself. When i put my foot down a bit i can hear the air whooshing out somewhere under the drivers side wheel....

I have found a decent replacement engine for 1500 and the guy said he has got all the engine history and is more than happy to have my mechanic have a look at it, is also going to throw in a exedy heavy duty clutch, so thinking about having a look at that i think.

So back to the compression test, did they have one done? or are they just saying the engine is low on compression?

As for your engine problems, those symptoms don't sound like a compression problem, if it was an engine problem, particularly with compression, you'd feel and see the syptoms, particularly during idle or whilst driving it through the rev ranges.

The air whooshing sounds more like a cracked hose, or a loose one at that?

Is the r33 modified?

Actually, are you in townsville? because if you'd like i could come by and have a look at it, or is it in the workshop?

Yeah they did a compression test and one of the cylinders is on the way out or gone, It hasnt been modified much at all just oil cans and Hks bov, turbo timer and exhaust... Mechanic wont be able to start work on it for two weeks so picked it up and just have it parked up at the back of work as rego ran out on it yesterday... Yeah im in townsville

Just thought I'd let you guys know that we're having dinners each Wednesday for the next few weeks to discuss what people want the club to be for next year.

I know it's a hike for you guys, but you're most welcome to come and have a chat about what you guys want in a car club. I'll post up next weeks Dinner details once we have it sorted.

thanks for the invite but don't think anyone will be going, its a 16hour drive to brissy from here :P

will there be any events feb/mar next year? i'll be down that for a bit

thanks for the invite but don't think anyone will be going, its a 16hour drive to brissy from here :P

will there be any events feb/mar next year? i'll be down that for a bit

Completely appreciate that it's tough for you guys to get down here. If anyone happens to be down here on one of the dinner evenings, feel free to duck in and say hi!

Are there any particular events or meets that you'd be really keen to drive down for? Motorlhana? Track day? Show and shine?

I completely understand. But as we are a statewide club, I want to keep everyone who is a club member up to date with what is happening. Just in case anyone does want to come down, check the events section as the details are in there.

If it makes it easier, we will be running the next few on a Friday night.

Sorry for the late reply Cal. Have been moving into our new house over the last week and had no internet. Glad to hear you got it sorted though. The ones we got definetely had a thermostat in them.

that the one u were building out northsore way phil ?? i think thats where it was :S

chuck up a pic :P

Yeah man that's the one. Don't have any phone lines in this new area yet so my internet access is limited to my phone hence why i'm not to active on here any more.

Next time your in Townsville swing by. Got a spare room so if you ever need a place to crash let me know.

Yeah man that's the one. Don't have any phone lines in this new area yet so my internet access is limited to my phone hence why i'm not to active on here any more.

Next time your in Townsville swing by. Got a spare room so if you ever need a place to crash let me know.

sweet as. will do.... what if i bring 50 ppl ?? still cool :P

when the jets back on the road it might be call for a cruise... n the other mack town boys have theirs on the road.

we could do airlie again ;)

Party and free Accom at Phils sounds like way more fun :P

haha

I can honestly say I'm never dealing with HEL again, to top off the issues I had one a damaged cooler and wrong sandwich plate, I thought I'd muck around with it the other day, and they have sent me the wrong fittings for the cooler. Screw in about 2 turns then go tight and are different compared to the blanking plugs thread that have come out of them.

Cannot believe they can get it so wrong