SAU Community

How To Find A Stolen Car

Yeah my mates dad had a skip bin business.. one of his workers used the truck to lift a motorbike stragiht up onto it.. Got caught never the less the dick (how stupid can you be) but it isnt hard to take the car somewhere else to work on

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

think tow truck.

meh, club lock, alarm, immobiliser, even take the coil pack loom off or the coilpacks if you're that paranoid, if they still take it they are likely pros and have been sussing it out for a while.

I've heard of people having D shackles set into concrete floors so that chains can be put through the wheels (have seen pics of this done in a garage which housed a VL Group A lol).

Thats how we done my dads XA GT, chained it to the floor in our shed....

think tow truck.

meh, club lock, alarm, immobiliser, even take the coil pack loom off or the coilpacks if you're that paranoid, if they still take it they are likely pros and have been sussing it out for a while.

I've heard of people having D shackles set into concrete floors so that chains can be put through the wheels (have seen pics of this done in a garage which housed a VL Group A lol).

Yeah good idea, i keep my dirt bike chained to my garage floor, VL's are a thiefs dream, I think they are still the most commonly stolen car in australia, as with most older commodores, just too easy for thiefs.

Yeah i like the chaining idea! :laugh:

At the end of the day, I think the most effective method of prevention is to make it as hard as possible for them to take it. If they have to unbolt chains and rip through club locks or find kill switches or pulled fuses for fuel pumps then its gonna take them 30mins or more to get it away and chances are they will just forget it and move on to the next car... well, hopefully....

azzafreddy, as for your mate, i guess all he can do is be on the lookout for any parts that may have been off his car. Did he have any 'unique' or 'custom' parts specific to his car, that may be your best bet... on the lookout for a yellow r33 shell might be a start.

+1 for insurance so long as it's 'Agreed Value' Comprehensive & all mods and updated rims noted.

Insurance companies tend to screw the policy holder if he/she only has 'Market Value'

be careful with what they mean by "agreed value" when i was looking for insurance the guy i spoke to at just cars told me that "agreed value", only means they agree to lock the value in at current market value for 12months. when ur renewal comes round 12 months later your agreed value drops to current market value and they lock it in for another 12 months.

example. if market value is $20K when u 1st insure it then u get $20k for the 1st 12months. when ur renewal comes the market value is recalculated (say $17k) it drops to 17k for 12 months and so on and so on.

yeah, the only way to get a proper agreed value for your car is for them to send out an inspector to look at the car and value it taking into consideration all mods, quality of car, etc, which they pretty much never do.

think tow truck.

haha, i heard that something similar happened in melb. Some lebo with a WRX was getting his car stolen all the time so he got a steel lug set in the concrete beside his work and chained it up every night and then heard a big rev and dump and BANG and it tore out the floor of his car and severed the theifs legs

haha, i heard that something similar happened in melb. Some lebo with a WRX was getting his car stolen all the time so he got a steel lug set in the concrete beside his work and chained it up every night and then heard a big rev and dump and BANG and it tore out the floor of his car and severed the theifs legs

Not gonna do that again then is he? I think he learnt his lesson :D

At the end of the day, I think the most effective method of prevention is to make it as hard as possible for them to take it. If they have to unbolt chains and rip through club locks or find kill switches or pulled fuses for fuel pumps then its gonna take them 30mins or more to get it away and chances are they will just forget it and move on to the next car... well, hopefully....

exactly. my R31 used to get parked on the street, on a decent slope no less. someone tried to nick it one night and couldn't get it started because of the hidden kill switch that you had to push every time before starting the car - only thing that saved me from having no car as it was quite modified and only had 3rd party property on it (8 grand car would have cost me 3 grand a year to insure.. screw that!).

the standard steering lock that holds your wheels at an angle is easy to defeat, my steering lock was busted. they rolled it down the street either to get it away from the house or trying to clutch start it, failed to do so and left it. hidden kill switch ftw (if you don't have an alarm system anyway).

funny story though - about 6 months later i sold the car and the guy who bought it went to transfer the rego and the RTA goes "umm this car is marked as stolen, we're not doing shit" after he paid me cash for it. he called me and the penny dropped - when i reported the attempted theft the cops had marked it as stolen and then when they came out to see it they were supposed to mark it recovered but never did - I had been driving a "stolen" car around for 6 months and never got pulled over!!!! :lol: sorted it out with the local police station and all was sweet, poor buyer tho he must have been shitting himself.

be careful with what they mean by "agreed value" when i was looking for insurance the guy i spoke to at just cars told me that "agreed value", only means they agree to lock the value in at current market value for 12months. when ur renewal comes round 12 months later your agreed value drops to current market value and they lock it in for another 12 months.

example. if market value is $20K when u 1st insure it then u get $20k for the 1st 12months. when ur renewal comes the market value is recalculated (say $17k) it drops to 17k for 12 months and so on and so on.

This is true ^^^ but...

if there's another insurance company after 12 months that is willing to renew the policy on the said car for about the same 'sum insured' you can tell that company 'b' is trying to get your business over 'a'. And after 1 year with 'b', you can see if 'a' will hedge against 'b' the following year etc.

Trouble with grey imports is that there are so few companies that compete against each other, I know.

as they say prevention is the best cause, you can get these for under 500 and they let you shut your car down on the net and show you exactly where it is if it gets stolen, which helps when you rock up with some shotty's, these things also have a sim card in so if he f**ks around with the car or anything you'll still be able to find it no problem. Im getting one

http://www.modyourcar.com.au/fleetdynamics...52-keywords=gps

• 2 weeks later...

lets be honest here, I park my car & my mums car in a garage, close the heavy duty sliding door & deadlock it on the inside with 2 heavy duty padlocks (its not a crappy roller door it's a solid welded metal sliding door), there's no other way in, apart from through the house, which my bedroom is about a meter away from the garage door, not to mention the padlock keys are in my room 24/7 so going through the house would change nothing for the theif anyway. there is no way into that shed apart from pulling the the bricks out one by one & even if they did that they wouldn't be able to get the car out the side of the garage, the car will remain unstolen unless they took to the garage door with an angle grinder but that wont happen & if it did i would get myself, my mother and half the street to see a doctor for hearing problems. if someone got my car out of the garage i park it in, without me knowing about it somehow, then i believe in magic.

SLEEPR85, yeah i have been keeping a lookout on the net especially, for a yellow r33 sedan, i haven't actually asked him what mods it had, i'm pretty sure it was just a standard Series 1 GTS25 with nothing else done to it, chances are that car is now a bunch of cars & painted a different colour/s, its like finding a needle in a hay stack, if anyone comes across a yellow R33 Series 1 sedan PM me & ill check it out.. cheers.

Edited by azzafreddy

lets be honest here, I park my car & my mums car in a garage, close the heavy duty sliding door & deadlock it on the inside with 2 heavy duty padlocks (its not a crappy roller door it's a solid welded metal sliding door), there's no other way in, apart from through the house, which my bedroom is about a meter away from the garage door, not to mention the padlock keys are in my room 24/7 so going through the house would change nothing for the theif anyway. there is no way into that shed apart from pulling the the bricks out one by one & even if they did that they wouldn't be able to get the car out the side of the garage, the car will remain unstolen unless they took to the garage door with an angle grinder but that wont happen & if it did i would get myself, my mother and half the street to see a doctor for hearing problems. if someone got my car out of the garage i park it in, without me knowing about it somehow, then i believe in magic.

SLEEPR85, yeah i have been keeping a lookout on the net especially, for a yellow r33 sedan, i haven't actually asked him what mods it had, i'm pretty sure it was just a standard Series 1 GTS25 with nothing else done to it, chances are that car is now a bunch of cars & painted a different colour/s, its like finding a needle in a hay stack, if anyone comes across a yellow R33 Series 1 sedan PM me & ill check it out.. cheers.

Want to know the golden rule? Never post up your security arrangements on the internet. You've just given out details that are such good quality, they could only be improved if you provided a floor plan of your house with all the locations clearly marked. Scoff at that if you wish, but theives are always waiting for opportune times to do the deed. At least they know where to find your garage door keys now, and they can crosslink who you are from the car in your avatar with numberplates clearly marked....

Edited by R34mac

all you need now is a theif with a weapon and they've got your car..

ps. i do hope that you never take off those padlocks and have either your car or your mums car taken out .. Let's say to the shops.. cause unless you've got fort knox around your parking spot you may come back and find your car is gone

the only problem is who has my address?, i dont have my internet run off my phone line so they couldnt track my IP, i use a usb router that runs anywhere in australia as long as its plugged in, another thing is, the photos taken are at my dads house, and all my mail gets delivered there, i live with my mum, in a different house. they may be able to find what address my plates are registed to but not where i live, besides who would go to that much trouble to steal a series 1 r33 when theres so many better cars around.

Edited by azzafreddy